Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish Capacity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nrthface View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrthface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish Capacity
    Posted: January 27 2011 at 1:28pm
I look at tanks on You-tube and see beautiful tanks filled with 100's of fish. What can i do to up the number of fish my tank can safely hold? Its a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. It has a great skimmer and UV S.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 2:18pm
I say this a bit in jest, but it would be a great way to increase the number of fish you could keep.

250 gallon sump
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 2:24pm

Seriously ...

Although maintaining water quality is of primary importance to keeping higher fish volumes, you must also consider the territorial needs of each fish you add to your aquarium.  You can run into serious problems regardless of water quality.  If the fish are constantly fighting for dominance and territory, their stress level will be elevated and overall health is diminished.

In a 55 gal, stay with one or even two larger fish and concentrate on smaller fish to increase your overall population.  You may want to look for fish that are prone to schooling as well.

What fish and fish numbers are you interested in?
nrthface View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrthface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 2:40pm
I have 1 Bartlett Anthias, and three female leyretail anthias's, 1 coral beauty, 2 fire fish,2 purple fire fish, small lime madrin goby, 4 small chromis, 1 arrow crab and 1 emerald crab. All have lived peacefully for over a month. My ammonia levels have never gone up either. I want to add a yellow tang and a sail fin tang, both on the smaller end. That is all i want to put in there. I am a big fan of small fish, the smaller the better. The Bartlett is the largest fish in the tank.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 3:16pm
Welcome to the WMAS Message Board.

Of all the fish you have, only the Coral Beauty will compete for the algae that the Tangs also like to eat. The best way to introduce Tangs into a reef is to have a good growth of Macroalgae, especially Caulerpa, growing in the tank for at least a month before adding the Tangs. When they come into a tank that has plenty of algae for them to graze on all day long, they do much better. Eventually they eat up that Macroalgae so before it's gone, offering dark green leafy lettuce and Nori is useful. Also, the best frozen food I have found for Tangs, Pygmy Angels and Rabbitfish is called Emerald Entree.

There is more helpful information about introducing new fish. Click on Reefkeeping Tips below and look for the Tip: "Secrets of adding new fish, the miracle of Garlic Oil and fish training"
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
nrthface View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrthface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 4:02pm
Thanks for the info!!
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 4:13pm
Shane is right about water volume. If you can, I would increase the size of your sump. Mark is also right about macro and at the very least you should be growing it in your sump.

Sounds like your 55 is pretty full of fish right now. If I were you I wouldn't add the tangs at the same time. Tangs have a pretty hefty bioload and you want the tank to adjust to the increase bioload.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 11:56pm
In case it wasn't clear, the two tangs would be fine in that tank, if they have enough to eat and the water quality can be kept good.
A good growth of macroalgae does both. it feeds the Tangs and it cleans the water. As it is eaten up, the tank matures and more life(bacteria, bugs and worms) grows in the sand and on the rock to build more biofiltration. The mode of biofiltration changes as the algae decreases.
And Caulerpa is a pretty algae that grows well in our tanks. Smile
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 7:24am
I have to disagree with you mark, yes 2 small tangs will be fine but full grown
sailfin and a yellow tang would not do so well.
The yellow tang full size should be fine, but adding another large(er) fish
could be bad.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 1:02pm
Josh, since you and I are both in Murray, how would you like to come see my tanks and have a discussion on how to maximize biofiltration. I would be happy to come see your tanks, too.
Please call me at the number below.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic