Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The slimes got me!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Roy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The slimes got me!
    Posted: January 27 2011 at 7:54pm
I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers. I have a 1 yr old 170 gal system, have been keeping reef tanks on and off for 2 years. It has 12 month old Phoenix 250 14K bulbs running 8 hours per day. About 4 months ago I started a battle with slime algae. My tank is mabey 20% taken over by it most is in the sand.  I cant seem to get rid of it. I am running cheatoe in the sump, with 6 hours of light.... as i get hair algae growing everywhere in the sump when i leave it on longer. I am using a 20w CF 6500 daylight bulb from lowes. I am using Olitic sand and Utah Rock in the main tank. My corals seem to be doing great as i have only lost about 1 in a year.  I keep 2 fish in the tank a small clown and a chromis. I feed 2 to 3 times a week a minute amount.... as i dont want to add to the algae problem. I have completely stoped dosing coral vite and Reef snow. Yet the slime agae seems to be feeding off something else???? I Use a RO unit and change the filters every year.... as well the TDS meter is at 0. I have noticed that the snails i bought 6 months ago have slowly died off so perhaps that is where im getting the nutrients to feed the algae.....??? I run a PM 250 skimmer on it and its pulling a lot of gunk. I noticed too that my return pump has over turned my (4")sand bed in one area along the back of the tank. For circulation im using 3 Koralia 4s. Last water change was 4 to 5 months ago.... yikes!Dead
I do test params Phosphates 0, NO1 and 2 0 amonia 0 PH 8.5, CA 400 ( I usea a Kalk reactor.)

I have heard that olitic sand and other substrates can leach silicates which algae love??? Not sure though.... I have now decided to turn the lights off a few days to see if it kills the algae???

My biggest thing is trying to find what if feeding the alage... 

IF anyone has any advise let me know. I want to stun this before it gets worse.

I am going to try and do a 50% water change soon as well as get new bulbs.

Edited by Roy - January 27 2011 at 7:56pm
90 gal Corner with / 200 gal sump.

Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 8:16pm
Chemiclean. Your red slime will be gone in 2 days.
Life is good....right?
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 9:41pm
+1 on Chemiclean.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 11:11pm
You have come to the right place for ideas.

You could use a chemical like Chemiclean or Red Slime Remover and risk always having to periodically use it when the Cyano blooms again and again. From what you said about snails dieing, this is a bigger problem. One that algae killing chemicals will not solve.

I commend you for coming here and giving the details of the problem. Some people are not so courageous. Your courage will help other hobbyists learn along with you. It looks like you have been studying up on the problem, but in case you have not seen it, there is a fair amount of information about algae control in the Reefkeeping Tips linked below. It is recommended reading.

Algae grows because of a favorable combination of several factors that can be grouped into three areas: light, food and living conditions.

With these three factors in mind, I hope you don't mind if I comment and ask questions about some of what you have said.
 "...cheatoe in the sump, with 6 hours of light.... as i get hair algae growing everywhere in the sump when i leave it on longer. I am using a 20w CF 6500 daylight bulb..."
How fast does the Chaetomorpha growQuestion Is it doubling in size every two monthsQuestion I'll bet that it hasn't grown much. Ouch Six hours of light per day is only enough to keep it from dieing. how old is the Refugium lightQuestion
Of course  hair algae is a real nuisance in the display, but in the Refugium it's a good thing. Yes, that's right. Ideally we want the Macroalgae to outgrow the hair algae but for a Refugium to do it's job, some kind of algae must grow quickly enough to be harvested for the purpose of removing pollution from the system. I recommended that there be some Snails and maybe even a few Hermits in the Refugium to keep nuisance algae from becoming a problem.

"I keep 2 fish in the tank a small clown and a chromis. I feed 2 to 3 times a week a minute amount.... as i dont want to add to the algae problem. I have completely stoped dosing coral vite and Reef snow."
May we see a pic of this tank and it's Sump/RefugiumQuestion How long had you been using those products and how much were you usingQuestion A picture says a 1000 words. The pic will help us see what the feeding and additives are doing for the tank.

"...change the RO filters every year.... as well the TDS meter is at 0."

Is the RO water at exactly zero ppm TDSQuestion  Which filters are you changing yearlyQuestion

"I have noticed that the snails i bought 6 months ago have slowly died off so perhaps that is where im getting the nutrients to feed the algae.....??? I run a PM 250 skimmer on it and its pulling a lot of gunk."
How many Snails and Hermits are there currently in this 170Question  How many have died in the last monthQuestion Do you leave them in the tankQuestion  Are there any organisms living in the sand, Bristleworms for instanceQuestion Yes, you are right that anything that dies is a source of pollution which can feed algae. Since there seems to be little food going into the tank, tell me, What do you think the gunk is that the Skimmer is removingQuestion

"I noticed too that my return pump has over turned my (4")sand bed in one area along the back of the tank."
Have you fixed that by aiming the return in a different direction or by placing some rubble in that areaQuestion

"For circulation im using 3 Koralia 4s. Last water change was 4 to 5 months ago.... yikes!Dead  I do test params Phosphates 0, NO1 and 2 0 amonia 0 PH 8.5, CA 400 ( I usea a Kalk reactor.)"
How do you know the pH number; electronically, test strip or liquid testQuestion I'm curious if you do Alkalinity and Calcium testing and if so, what those readings areQuestion  The picture you post will give us a better idea of how the flow may be helping or hurting. Typically water changes feed algae Ouch, so unless you have already done it, save yourself the bother right now and just answer these questions.

"I have heard that olitic sand and other substrates can leach silicates which algae love??? Not sure though....
Have you also heard that Cyanobacteria does not eat silicaQuestion  Well now you know the truth.Smile It is also not true that properly cleaned Utah Oolitic Sand and LBTR leach silica. Notice that I said "properly cleaned".Embarrassed If a lot of dirt is left in the rock and sand, it will cause problems from the very start. This problem in your tank is recent, so the sand and rock are off the hook.Wink

"Yet the slime agae seems to be feeding off something else????"
 "My biggest thing is trying to find what if feeding the alage... 
 SmileAs you answer these and some followup questions, we will help you find the answer.

"IF anyone has any advise let me know."
That's what we are here for. We will help you make the best decisions and save you a lot of time, trouble and money.Big smile

"I have now decided to turn the lights off a few days to see if it kills the algae???
 "I am going to try and do a 50% water change soon as well as get new bulbs."
Shocked Please hold off on that. It would be foolish to throw money and time into a solution before you know if it's the right solution. Answer the questions above, be patient and let your posting of this topic do it's work. It's much easier than you know.Smile

QuestionDid I mention patience. Think about it. Your tank has had this problem for four months. Give us a few days. I know we can help you fix this.Approve

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 27 2011 at 11:30pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Roy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 6:37pm
Thanks Mark and everyone else ill get the lights on and work on getting some pictures.
Wink

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 9:09pm
Man, that was a lot of questions. A bit overkill, sorry.Embarrassed Looking forward to the pictures
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 10:02pm
I have read several articals that say cyano feeds off the nitrogen, so checking nitrogen during a cyano outbreak could lead to a false impression of what the actual nitrogen level is.
Roy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 8:04am

With these three factors in mind, I hope you don't mind if I comment and ask questions about some of what you have said.

"...cheatoe in the sump, with 6 hours of light.... as i get hair algae growing everywhere in the sump when i leave it on longer. I am using a 20w CF 6500 daylight bulb..."
How fast does the Chaetomorpha growQuestion Is it doubling in size every two monthsQuestion Yes at least doubles. I'll bet that it hasn't grown much. Ouch Six hours of light per day is only enough to keep it from dieing. how old is the Refugium lightQuestion 2 months old, ? Mark what brand and where do i get the light u you use on your sump?
Of course  hair algae is a real nuisance in the display, but in the Refugium it's a good thing. Yes, that's right. Ideally we want the Macroalgae to outgrow the hair algae but for a Refugium to do it's job, some kind of algae must grow quickly enough to be harvested for the purpose of removing pollution from the system. I recommended that there be some Snails and maybe even a few Hermits in the Refugium to keep nuisance algae from becoming a problem. Ok i will let it grow wild from now on in there hehehe

"I keep 2 fish in the tank a small clown and a chromis. I feed 2 to 3 times a week a minute amount.... as i dont want to add to the algae problem. I have completely stoped dosing coral vite and Reef snow."
May we see a pic of this tank and it's Sump/RefugiumQuestionyes i will ost some today How long had you been using those products and how much were you usingQuestionCoral vite 5mil once a week, Reef snow 2-3 mil once a week A picture says a 1000 words. The pic will help us see what the feeding and additives are doing for the tank.

"...change the RO filters every year.... as well the TDS meter is at 0."

Is the RO water at exactly zero ppm TDSQuestion Yes  Which filters are you changing yearlyQuestionCarbon, the paper tube looking one, DI resin.

"I have noticed that the snails i bought 6 months ago have slowly died off so perhaps that is where im getting the nutrients to feed the algae.....??? I run a PM 250 skimmer on it and its pulling a lot of gunk."
How many Snails and Hermits are there currently in this 170Questionperhapps 30 snails of the original 120 or so are alive. I have read that nerite snails can be fresh or salt. The ones i got off line liked staying out of the water more than doing anything is this common?  How many have died in the last monthQuestionNot sure maybe 20 Do you leave them in the tankQuestionyes  Are there any organisms living in the sand, Bristleworms for instanceQuestionyes a sand sifting star, There are little tubes made of the sand all over, no bristle worms that i know of.Yes, you are right that anything that dies is a source of pollution which can feed algae. Since there seems to be little food going into the tank, tell me, What do you think the gunk is that the Skimmer is removingQuestionprobably a combination of snail juice lol, and the sand bed that has been stired up a little.

"I noticed too that my return pump has over turned my (4")sand bed in one area along the back of the tank."
Have you fixed that by aiming the return in a different direction or by placing some rubble in that areaQuestionWOrked 2 hours moving sand bed back best i could ( as it was all in one corner) and took the reducer off return pipe. ( less pressure ) Sand bed seems stable now

"For circulation im using 3 Koralia 4s. Last water change was 4 to 5 months ago.... yikes!Dead  I do test params Phosphates 0, NO1 and 2 0 amonia 0 PH 8.5, CA 400 ( I usea a Kalk reactor.)"
How do you know the pH number; electronically, test strip or liquid testQuestion ELectronic I'm curious if you do Alkalinity and Calcium testing and if so, what those readings areQuestionill work on those today  The picture you post will give us a better idea of how the flow may be helping or hurting. Typically water changes feed algae Ouch, so unless you have already done it, save yourself the bother right now and just answer these questions.

"I have heard that olitic sand and other substrates can leach silicates which algae love??? Not sure though....
Have you also heard that Cyanobacteria does not eat silicaQuestionGood newsClap  Well now you know the truth.Smile It is also not true that properly cleaned Utah Oolitic Sand and LBTR leach silica. Notice that I said "properly cleaned".Embarrassed If a lot of dirt is left in the rock and sand, it will cause problems from the very start. This problem in your tank is recent, so the sand and rock are off the hook.Wink 

"Yet the slime agae seems to be feeding off something else????"
 "My biggest thing is trying to find what if feeding the alage... 
 SmileAs you answer these and some followup questions, we will help you find the answer.

"IF anyone has any advise let me know."
That's what we are here for. We will help you make the best decisions and save you a lot of time, trouble and money.Big smile

"I have now decided to turn the lights off a few days to see if it kills the algae???
 "I am going to try and do a 50% water change soon as well as get new bulbs."
Shocked Please hold off on that. It would be foolish to throw money and time into a solution before you know if it's the right solution. Answer the questions above, be patient and let your posting of this topic do it's work. It's much easier than you know.Smile

QuestionDid I mention patience. Think about it. Your tank has had this problem for four months. Give us a few days. I know we can help you fix this.Approve YAYStar
[/QUOTE]

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 10:15am
If the Chaeto is growing that well, there must be a lot of pollution for it to eat. Longer light and more harvesting will be helpful to the system. Snails in the Refugium will let the Chaeto grow even better when they eat the competition. Smile

RO/DI. Ah, of course. That's why the TDS is zero.

Thumbs UpGood option to remove the nozzle from the loc-line. LS that gets disturbed like that loses it's ability to function effectively. IMO, LS seems to be more than half of a tanks biofiltration. When some of that biofiltration capacity is removed, other things come in and start eating the excess pollution. Cyanobacteria is the most aggressive opportunistic feeder I have ever seen.

"I have read several articals that say cyano feeds off the nitrogen, so checking nitrogen during a cyano outbreak could lead to a false impression of what the actual nitrogen level is."
jmw, that is right. You have probably read about the Nitrogen Cycle. The Nitrogen that all algae like to eat is in the form of Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. I often group all three together calling it "N compounds" and/or "pollution". This Nitrogen pollution is caused by all the formerly live stuff that has died and is decomposing. We most often think of this as uneaten food, fish poop and pee, but it is also the waste of every living organism in the tank. The older the tank gets, the more organisms live in it. Those organisms that are eating and excreting create more waste or in other words create more food for each organism down the line.Smile
A new hobbyist with a good growth of nuisance algae will often comment "Nitrates are almost zero so I can't understand why the algae is there." We try to help them understand that the reason Nitrates are so low is because the Cyano or Hair Algae or whatever is eating it up before it can stay in the water long enough to be tested.Smile
Roy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 12:11pm
Ok Ran tests.
KH 8, PH 8.2, Calcium 460, NO3 0, PO4 0, Salininty 1.026, Temp 76

Im going to run the Sump light 24/7 and see how it helps.

Edited by Roy - January 29 2011 at 12:45pm

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 9:34am
Good, the Alk and Ca are within range.
Okay, now I have time to respond more thoroughly to the information you provided. Thank you for answering all the questions.

In this system, I would typically use two twist PC Daylight of at least 100W each, but I don't the Refugium's size and you said the Chaeto is doubling every two months.
If the Chaeto is growing that fast, are you harvesting it to give it more room to grow?

It really would help to see a picture of the tank and sump. Without it I can't tell how many snails are needed and what else may be going on. 20 snails dead in a month is about 90% more than expected. Stern Smile Really need to see a pic.

Did you know that a lot of people take advantage of reef hobbyists? We give them our money for unneeded things like DI Resins and Alkalinity chemicals. We pay for snails that were too easily collected from tidal pools where they like to spend half their life out of water.Confused I'm not saying that these things are bad, just that if we are not careful, we might spend a lot of money for things of little value. Shocked

Another example of this is the Sand Sifting Star. How long has that been in thereQuestion SSStars severely damage the LS bed. Angry There are better ways to keep the sand looking good. Right now we need to worry about how to bring the sand back to life. It needs some TLC.

Please look and tell us what is making the "little tubes made of the sand all over".

You also said "no bristle worms". That is not good.Ouch From what you have said, I can tell the LS has been destroyed. No wonder you have been battling Cyanobacteria. The LS is more than 50% of the total filtration of the tank. If this sand bed is not fixed soon, there will be more problems than Cyano and dead snails.

The best thing you could do right now is to remove the SSStar. Can you do that right nowQuestion Then you need to find another reef aquarium that has been running for at least a year so that is very mature with all kinds of bugs and worms. Collect at least a quart of that sand in it's water and add it to this sand bed. This will give it a good infusion of life that will help your reef aquarium to recover.

The answer to your big question 'What is feeding the algae?' was mostly given in my last post, but the rest of the story is that because the LS has been compromised, it could not do it's job of ~50% of the tanks filtration. This created a situation where the filtration job was handed over to Cyanobacteria. Cyano is a very aggressive opportunistic feeder. It freely took the nitrogen pollutants which neither the LR nor the Skimmer have the capacity handle and it grew very nicely. Wink
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 10:27am

Last water change 4-5 mnths ago...yikes!

why is this not a factor? Is this common with a system that uses a Refugium?
I read another post that said "His dad had not changed water in a year".
Do i change to much water?I change 10-15 gallons a week in my 150.Religously.

It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 12:01pm
If you can let go of your currently held religious beliefs and try an experiment on my words, I believe that you will be pleasantly surprised.
Rather than detract from this post and to give it the attention it deserves, let's take this discussion to a new thread http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46442

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 30 2011 at 12:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic