Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flatworm help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flatworm help
    Posted: January 27 2011 at 8:29pm
Okay, I recently got flatworms in my pico. (not on the spiderman frags)
They aren't bad but I do NOT want them.
I have a sixline wrasse in there now hoping he will eat them but I am not to patient.
Anything I can do to get rid of them ASAP? I don't particularly want to use chemicals.
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 8:42pm
3 Drops of FWE will do the trick, contact BillyBob for Levasome.
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 9:00pm
1 drop per gallon? and how much is it?
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 9:20pm
The wrasse will more than likely take care of it and if you can see them use a turkey baster or something similar to suck out the ones you can see.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 9:25pm
Okay, I have a HOB filter, so will the flatworms stay there and reproduce?
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 9:32pm
it would be better if you eradicate it using chemicals since the tank is so small. 
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 10:17pm
Okay, how much are the chemicals?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Josh95 Josh95 wrote:

I have a sixline wrasse in there now hoping he will eat them but I am not to patient.
Anything I can do to get rid of them ASAP? I don't particularly want to use chemicals.
To be successful in this hobby, you will need to learn patience.
If you do not want to use chemicals you may have to accept that there will be a few flatworms in the tank. Most flatworms are good for our tanks. There is one type that some people think is a problem. The chemical kills all the flatworms, not just the unwanted ones
A Sixline Wrasse will eat them if you let it. We can discuss this more if you want.
If you are serious about what you said above, then please post a picture of the tank and answer a few questions that will come up after we see the picture.
FYI, some of the most beautiful tanks I know have those flatworms.
FYI, I have seen problem flatworms disappear from tanks without the hobbyist doing a darn thing.

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 27 2011 at 11:46pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 7:19am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

To be successful in this hobby, you will need to learn patience.
If you do not want to use chemicals you may have to accept that there will be a few flatworms in the tank. Most flatworms are good for our tanks. There is one type that some people think is a problem. The chemical kills all the flatworms, not just the unwanted ones
A Sixline Wrasse will eat them if you let it. I will be patient if this guy will do it, I saw him picking at them this morning, the sad thing is that its a 3g tank and I don't want to have more stress then what is necessary.  We can discuss this more if you want.
If you are serious about what you said above, then please post a picture of the tank and answer a few questions that will come up after we see the picture.
FYI, some of the most beautiful tanks I know have those flatworms.
FYI, I have seen problem flatworms disappear from tanks without the hobbyist doing a darn thing.

Okay, thanks mark, I will just let the sixline do it's job, how long before they are mostly gone?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 1:04pm
Hard to say.
Fish sometimes need help to do their job.
May I come over for a chat and see your tanks? Please call me at the number below.
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 6:25pm
I figured it out.
I am going to let the wrasse do his job, for 2-3 weeks, then run the filter in
super high salinity water.
Like 1.035 salinity.
That should kill the flatworms and leave the bacteria good.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 8:13am
High salinity will stress everything. Where did you hear about doing that?

I'm not going to pussyfoot around with you. (pussyfoot? look it up)
You only 'think' you have it figured out.
You should come see my tanks so we can talk about this. One of my tanks has flatworms and I'm leaving them in there for now.Shocked Yes that's right.
Please call me to arrange a visit. My number is below and I'm at 756 E Lake Point Dr #4C (Lake Point Dr. is about 5500 So.) How close are we?

Is there LS, LR and some Macroalgae in this little tank?

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 30 2011 at 9:51am
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 10:18am
I have LR and LS, No macro.
 I do not plan on keeping anything in the tank at 1.035 salinity.
I am going to take the filter off and set it up in a different unused tank or
just set up a bowl.
I do NOT plan on putting anything under more stress then necessary.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 12:15pm
I ask again, where did you hear about raising Salinity to kill flatworms and not bacteria? There is a lot of misinformation in the world and that includes this hobby.
If you don't want to call or come visit, that's fine, it's your loss, but why do you come here asking a question and then become resistant to opening your mind to the opportunity to learn from the experience of this MB? Is it me? Confused
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 2:18pm
No, I got the info from SWF.com forum.
I posted here and there at the same time.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 11:30pm

...I am going to take the filter off and set it up in a different unused tank or
just set up a bowl.
I do NOT plan on putting anything under more stress then necessary.
I cannot find swf.com but I found saltwaterfish.com. Is that what you meant/where you found it?

Placing extra salty water in a HOB(hang on the back) filter is going to stress and kill the bacteria too. If it's going to kill the Flatworms, it will also kill most of the bacteria. Frankly, I would not do that. It doesn't even make any sense to me. Sorry, but like I said, there is a lot of wrong information out there. This is a comment recently made by a long time WMAS hobbyist, "Local help is always better, and Ive found that people right here in our own state know just as much if not more than people on ReefCentral"

I need to ask, Are you using a HOB filter for a picoQuestion How many gallons is itQuestion
Why not just rinse out the HOB in fresh water, which quickly kills Flatworms and then install a new cartridge? Compared to the amount of bacteria living in the tank, the amount of bacteria lost in the old filter cartridge is nothing.

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 30 2011 at 11:40pm
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 7:18am
Yes, HOB filter.
the pico is 3g.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 2:56pm
I'd like to check out the high salinity idea. Where did you read it?

Here are two pics of our pico. It sits next to the 10 fresh and across the room is a newly set up 55 reef. The pico had fish, coral, Macroalgae, LS, LR and a bubbler. No external filter is needed on any aquarium.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic