Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

57g rimless w/ Ecotech Radions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 57g rimless w/ Ecotech Radions
    Posted: January 28 2011 at 1:21am

This build has been in the planning/equipment gathering stage for months now, and I finally have most of my ducks in a row.  This will probably be my last upgrade for a while so my goal was get something clean, and modern looking, and to use nice reliable equipment that would last a long time.  I have everything for the build, except for the stand and tank itself, which should show up tomarrow. (hopefully)  Please feel free to give me your input and suggestions, here are the plans for the tank:

Tank: Oceanic Illuminata 57 gallon rimless, dimensions 36x18x21, with glass-holes 700 gph overflow. 3/4" return.   Black oak stand, 30 inches tall.

Lighting: ATI sunpower, 6x39, I will retrofit some moonlights. For bulbs I will be running

-Blue Plus

-Purple Plus

-Blue Plus

-Aquablue special

-Blue plus

-Blue plus

Filtration: DIY 20 gallon long sump,

SWC Xtreme 160 cone skimmer,

BRS reactor w/carbon and GFO,

Fuge with chaeto,

Rock-mixture of Marco rock and live rock from my current systems,

Special reef grade seaflor sand.

Flow:  2x MP10 ESw, Eheim 1260 return pump.

Tank and stand should be here tomarrow so I can start getting everything put together.  It may be a week or 2 still before theN tank will be up and running.  Pics coming soon!

Edited by kellerexpress - March 09 2012 at 4:42am
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 1:39am
Awesome can't wait to see pics!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 7:20am
You finally did it! Can't wait to see it. That's awesome
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 7:31am
Awesome,
1 question.
Why T5 lighting?
It might be worth it for you to go see chads frag tanks.
He is running LEDs and gets some awesome color with
it. You can also DIY LEDs pretty easily.
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 7:48am
Not to start this argument in Kevins thread but as good as leds are they still aren't up to the point that t5s are overall. The price is still too high for a fixture that looks clean and modern like the ATI does. You will be paying at least double for the same growth rate and coloration. The biggest benefits from leds show up in either extremely small tanks where the lighting is affordable or large fixtures where the negation of a chiller and energy costs offset the original costs of the fixture.   That being said I feel that prices in the next year or so will drop down to be competitive with t5/mh fixtures.
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 7:49am
By the way. I want to see your light combo when you have it up and running. Mine is exactly the same except I am running a 6500k bulb in place of a blue +

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Ahanix Ahanix wrote:

Not to start this argument in Kevins thread but as good as leds are they still aren't up to the point that t5s are overall. The price is still too high for a fixture that looks clean and modern like the ATI does. You will be paying at least double for the same growth rate and coloration. The biggest benefits from leds show up in either extremely small tanks where the lighting is affordable or large fixtures where the negation of a chiller and energy costs offset the original costs of the fixture.   That being said I feel that prices in the next year or so will drop down to be competitive with t5/mh fixtures.

I agree you Matt.  I went with t5's for a couple reason.  First I didnt want to deal with the heat issues and high energy costs of metal halides, I want this tank to be clean looking, and that includes not having to clip fan onto it in the summer like I have to on my 30 gallon.  I have also not been impressed with sps colors with Led lighting, and since this tank will be sps dominated Im not ready to invest my money into Led's.  I have a small tank that I tried led's over...softies and lps did awesome, and even my sps grew fine, but the colors of the sps was lacking.  The ATI fixture will be PLENTY of light for this set-up, in fact it may even be too much.  Ill have to acclimate my corals carefully to the change.

Edited by kellerexpress - January 28 2011 at 8:14am
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 1:33am
Update, the tank got held up this week but will be here on Thursday.  
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
lehireefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lehireefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 10:18am
Where are you getting the illuminata tank from?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 9:39pm
It had to be ordered online as nobody carries it locally
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by kellerexpress kellerexpress wrote:

It had to be ordered online as nobody carries it locally

Reef Runners carries them. John is getting one in tomorrow and I plan to have him order me one here pretty soon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 10:19pm

I guess I should have clarified, it had to be ordered online by John at reefrunners. :) He doesnt actively carry them, but he can get them.  The one that is coming in is mine. Aquatica can also special order them.

Edited by kellerexpress - January 31 2011 at 10:22pm
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 10:53pm

I guess I should have clarified, it had to be ordered online by John at reefrunners. :) He doesnt actively carry them, but he can get them.  The one that is coming in is mine. Aquatica can also special order them.

I thought that was yours! Big smile

Are you drilling it yourself?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 12:51am
Yes, I'm a little nervous drilling an expensive tank like this. I'll be using the glass-holes overflow.
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 1:15pm
Ive had a couple people ask me why Im not using the reef ready version and plan on drilling the tank.  The reason is the reef ready overflow is pretty big and takes up quite a bit of space.  The overflow kit I will be using is very low profile and takes up minimal space.
Here is a couple links to someone who used the glass holes overflow that I will be using  and you can see what I mean: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1818243&page=3
And here is someone with the reef ready version: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1893969&page=2

For me its all about being able to maximize the available space for me, plus I think it will look cleaner without that large overflow. 
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 6:58pm

Ive had a couple people ask me why Im not using the reef ready version and plan on drilling the tank.  The reason is the reef ready overflow is pretty big and takes up quite a bit of space.  The overflow kit I will be using is very low profile and takes up minimal space.
Here is a couple links to someone who used the glass holes overflow that I will be using  and you can see what I mean: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1818243&page=3
And here is someone with the reef ready version: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1893969&page=2

For me its all about being able to maximize the available space for me, plus I think it will look cleaner without that large overflow. 

LOL John asked me the exact same question! LOL

I told him Oceanic was stupid to use the same overflow that is in their 90 and 120 gallon tanks! It takes up half of your real estate.

I am looking at having tcfab build my overflow box. He is looking at a design that will allow me to use the Herbie overflow method. The biggest complaints I have gotten from the glass holes kits is noise. You will have to let me know how quiet yours is. Mine is in a bedroom so noise is an absolute no no.

thanks for the links!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 9:40pm

They overflows can be noisey, you have to play around with them to get them quiet. ejcatmul has one on his 40g and Ive been to his house to hear it. He has managed to get it very quiet, you can barely hear it.  Im sure it will take some fine tweaking. 

IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Sahin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sahin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 3:37pm
Hi there Keller!  You may remember me from RC, and maybe even NR (though I dont post much at all on NR these days).

Looking forward to this tank dude.  I know just how beautiful your nano tank was, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Looking at your equipment specs I think you have all this pretty much well thought out and have chosen equipment very wisely.

With regards to the T5, I feel they are the best out of all the current light technologies for many reasons, coral colour being one of the main reasons.  FWIW, I modded my 6x24watt ATI sunpower into 5x24watt T5 with 24 Cree LED's.  My lighting is sweet.  I am getting the best colour out of all the tanks I've ever had.

Good luck with this build. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 5:38pm

Thanks man! Tank came in today so hopefully things will get moving!

IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 5:44pm
And finally.... some pics! Sorry for the bad quality, they are from my iphone.
And a couple random pics
Skimmer
Marco Rock
My first attempt at a sump, pay no attention to the sloppy silicone job, I need to clean it up a bit!

Edited by kellerexpress - February 04 2011 at 11:35pm
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic