Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cyano bacteria, HLLE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cyano bacteria, HLLE
    Posted: January 28 2011 at 10:03am
If I haven't had enough problems with my system, I now have cyano bacteria, and my flame angel is still fighting HLLE.

Just to update people who don't know my system, I set it up in October using the hiatt method.  All seemed well (except my flame angel started with HLLE right away) until I wend on vacation and while I was away the temp in my tank dropped to 60 deg because I forgot to tell the guy watching my tank to top off the sump, and the water level got so low that the return pump was just pumping air.  Since then I had ich (which I quarantined all fish in hyposalinity, and just returned them to the tank), and my sps corals look terible, but not completely dead.  Even before I returned my fish to the tank cyano bacteria started showing up.

Water parameters

Temp 78 deg
pH 8.0
salinity 1.026
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
phosphate 0.18 (tested monday)
alk 10
calcium 420

After Mark telling me several times to ditch my Hiatt system, and since my phosphates don't seem to come down with it, and my flame angel with HLLE (one possible cause of hlle is activated carbon, and the hiatt system uses a lot of it), and my sps corals not doing so well (I wonder if all the activated carbon has depleted too much out of the water).  I decided to take the hiatt system off line (I did that tuesday).  I also added a pollyfilter some fluval clearmax (to take down the phosphate), a bunch of filter floss (to take out the carbon dust from my activated carbon, even though I rinsed it I was seeing carbon dust collecting in my sump), and I even added a uv sterilizer.  I also did a 25% water change on tuesday.

So I am hoping my cyano bacteria problem is due to the phosphate, and the HLLE is due to the carbon, and they both fix themselves now, but would like to get some opinions.  I will do some more tests today to see if the phosphates are lowering, and make sure I don't get any ammonia, nitrite or nitrate from taking my hiatt system off.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 10:11am
forgot a picture

Edited by Davidwillis - January 28 2011 at 10:12am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 11:15am
Just did my tests.

I forgot to mention, after my water change the phosphates were 0.12, and now today they are 0.13, so the water change or the initial introduction of the clearmax and polyfilter helped, but now it is going back up.

Everything else is the same, except the nitrate may be going up, it is still almost 0, but just has a slight color to it.

Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 6:23pm
One thing I want to mention is that a lot of people have the misconception that cyano bacteria needs phosphates to live. This is NOT true.

Cyano is a BACTERIA not an algae. Bacteria usually feeds off of a carbon source (activated carbon is not a carbon source for bacteria.)

Cyano is definitely feeding off of something but that is because there isn't enough other "good" bacteria to compete against it.

Upping the flow usually helps quite a bit. Also manual removal works very well. I have seen a lot of carbon dosed tanks that have zero nitrates and VERY low phosphates and still fight cyano bacteria.

I fought it for over a year in two of my tanks. The only thing I got to work was switching from crappy Reef Crystals salt (JME and my opinion) and running Purigen.

Hope that helps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 6:46pm
hmmm... that is interesting.  I have a lot of flow in that my little 29 gal tank (two 500 gph power heads, plus the return).  I have some purigen, I think I will use it.  Do you know if purigen is also linked to HLLE, or is that just activated carbon?

Thanks

Edit:  The hiatt Carbon does provide a carbon source.  I am not sure how they do it, but it is the carbon source.  Or at least they say it does.

Edited by Davidwillis - January 28 2011 at 7:17pm
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 7:31pm
you can use the chemiclean red slime remover to get rid of the cyano. It is a temporary fix, but works really well to get rid of it.

I have had bouts with cyano from time to time, and I usually dose chemiclean, then alter something else...skimming/flow/photoperiod/etc...

It's a good jump start though.
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 9:00pm
Cyanobacteria is also called Blue-Green Algae because in freshwater the most common color is blue-green. In marine environments it is most often called Red Slime Algae because of it's most common maroon color.  It has characteristics of both bacteria and algae and is one of the very oldest organisms on earth. For that reason some scientists give it it's own Phylum separate from bacteria and separate from algae. Cyano does respond to light, sometimes dieing off in low light and sometimes avoiding growth in high light. This is probably because there are millions of strains or because just a few strains have the ability to grow in a myriad of different conditions.

I don't remember saying to turn off the Hiatt systemEmbarrassed but I do remember saying that something just didn't look right. The tank was too clean to be healthy. Anyway, that cyano is nothing to worry about. Cyano is probably the easiest algae to control. Most often, just stopping the feeding for days and feeding less from then on is all that it takes. In this situation it might take a little more thought than that.

If you have some Macroalgae in the system(sump) or can put some there, I would light it 24/7 for now. In time the bacteria and good algae living in the system will mature to the point where the light on the Macro can be put on a more normal photoperiod. If I remember correctly, the sump is in a dedicated room so the light could be set as RDP and the sump can soon become a Refugium. 

Oh and the algae will eat up the PO4. Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 28 2011 at 9:04pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 11:36pm
Thanks Mark.  Yes, the sump is in a seperate room, and I have been running it RDP.  My pH is very consistently reading 8.0.

But my algea is not growing at all, and has been turning dark green/red in spots, instead of the bright green it was when I got it.  I do have a few small patches of hair algea in my main tank, so I should have enough for the macro to live on....

Anyway, I will turn the light on 24/7 for a bit and see how it does.  The cyanobacteria actually seems to be getting better since I put my fish back in because my damsels and clown fish are digging holes covering it up.

I know lighting has a lot to do with this, I have even heard of people changing there lighting to totally get rid of it.... another reason to wonder how good my LED lights are...

I have had the algea in for months, and the PO4 is still there... But then again the algea hasn't really been growing.  Maybe with my hiatt system off the algea will grow better and use up more P04.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Chris Scott Chris Scott wrote:

you can use the chemiclean red slime remover to get rid of the cyano. It is a temporary fix, but works really well to get rid of it.

I have had bouts with cyano from time to time, and I usually dose chemiclean, then alter something else...skimming/flow/photoperiod/etc...

It's a good jump start though.

Thanks... I would like to solve it without chemicals.  But if it gets too out of control I will have to get some.
Pinner Reef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinner Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 12:48am

As this seems to be a reoccuring issue as of late I'd like to add the following. Cyanobacteria can be controlled via an antibacterial medication such as Erythromyacian (sp?). It is completely reef safe and more cost effective on smaller systems such as biocubes. We sell it at Fish 4 U by the packet for less than $2. I usually recommend a half dose (1pkt per 20g) after pulling the carbon. Let it run for about 48hrs do a 25% water change. Obviously, try the above prescribed natural methods first and use chmeicals as a last resort. I'd swear newer tanks just have to go through a cyano a phase like it's some sort of hazing ritual.

-pinner
In SLC Near Downtown
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 10:42am
These products do kill Cyano, but in the process they also kill some other bacteria. The other bacteria is useful and it is generally better not to kill it. That's not the biggest issue though. The biggest issue for me is that killing the Cyano does nothing about the root cause. If nothing else is changed, the Cyano will return, but on the other hand Cyano will quickly disappear when the root cause is eliminated. Smile

I'll share with you something I have seen about hobbyists changing lights. Cyano certainly responds to light, but sometimes less light and sometimes more light can initiate a reduction in Cyano. Most hobbyists are not scientists trying to figure out which factors had the most effect on the problem. At the same time they buy new light bulbs they are also being more diligent with many other aspects of tank maintenance, including replenishing the snail population, being more careful about feeding and doing other tank cleaning that fell behind.
Because of this, I believe that new lights is less likely to be the major reason for a decrease in Cyano.

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 29 2011 at 11:02am
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 9:39am
Are you watching the other thread about Cyanobacteria, the one by your "neighbor" in Cache Valley?
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46378&PID=397572#397572
 If you haven't read it, you should.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 1:58pm
I have been following along with that thread too, I am just not sure I have the same issues.  My LS has all kind of life, bristle worms, other small worms, amphipotds, etc.  Nothing dieing...  My macro algea is not growing though, but my cyano is (but it is getting less now).  I wonder if my small dust particles from my carbon was providing a carbon source for the cyano?  Remember the carbon I used is made specifically to provide a carbon source, kind of like vodka does for those dosing carbon.  I have taken the carbon out, and put in a bunch of filter floss to take out any dust already in the water....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 2:37pm
What brand of carbon?

Activated Charcoal is not a carbon source. Unless they are soaking it in something, I don't see how they could manufacture carbon differently than every one else. Charcoal is charcoal.

What salt are you using?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 2:59pm
It it the Hiatt tri-based pelitized carbon.  You have to run it with the Hiatt "right now" bacteria to give it the carbon source to reduce nitrates and phosphate.  They claim it is a carbon source, but I don't know how.  I do know that my nitrates have always been 0 even though my top off water contains nitrate, but my phosphates have not stayed at zero...

I am using instant ocean salt.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 3:19pm
My thought process is that bio pellets that provide carbon just became available within the last year.

Just wondering how Hiatt has had them for so long. Not discrediting or anything. Just curious.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 3:31pm
charcoal is almost entirely carbon. It can't be too far of a stretch for Hiatt to produce something that is just becoming popular
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 3:45pm
Pellet forms of carbon do host bacteria. They just are not efficient at doing so. Liquid forms are much more efficient. Hence why we see vodka, sugar and vinegar being used so much these days.

I don't discredit the Hiatt system. I saw Burt's tanks that he set up running the Hiatt system. The Hiatt system actually isn't that far from a ZeoVit or Brightwell Aquactics NeoZeo setup.

I was a huge proponent (sp?) when Burt wanted to try this system out. He was attacked like crazy by this guy and I defended and applauded Burt's stance and effort.

I just don't feel that activated charcoal causes cyano bacteria. If it does that will be a huge discovery in the reefing world. One that might revolutionize the industry.

My experience with cyano was that it was caused by my salt, Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. After one water change using a more quality salt, I saw cyano disappearing all over the tank. After a few water changes cyano was gone completely. I can't blame just the salt because there are too many other people using it that don't have the issue. There was just something about that salt and my system that didn't agree.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 4:46pm
Well I don't know, and Hiatt doesn't really say how they do it.  I just thought it might be a possiblity, since I was getting a lot of carbon dust (from a carbon that claims to provide a carbon source for bacteria) that it might be one of the reasons.

I still like the Hiatt system, I am just affraid that running such large ammounts of activated carbon could be why my flame angel has HLLE.  I am also afraid it could strip a lot of stuff out of the water.

One other strange thing I noticed is that I use up calcium, but not alkalinity.  I have had to add 3/4 of a bottle of calcium, but have only added one dose of alkalinity, and my alkalinity is at 10.  I have no idea why.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 6:42pm
I just found this thread and I have been using the Hiatt system for 3 years so maybe I can help you understand a little about how it works. The TriBase Carbon is used because of the extreme amount of surface area it contains. The bacteria live in the carbon bed but don't live off the carbon. The TriBase carbon doesn't need to be replaced, in fact I have been using the same carbon for 3 years. It is important to properly rinse the carbon but once colonized all you have to do is keep it free from debris. I occasionally rinse the carbon in water I am doing a water change with. Don't rinse it in fresh water.

I gather that your system is a biocube or Nano of some type and that you set it up in October. There aren't many details as to how you set up the Hiatt System though. Did you use a canister filter for the Tribase Carbon and Calcite (called PH Rock by Hiatt) or did you add the carbon to the built in filter in the Nano? Did you start with any live rock, sand or water and how quickly did you add livestock to the system? Even though the Hiatt system will control the nitrogen cycle from day one it is important for the tank to mature before adding delicate corals especially SPS. A tank shot and some close ups of the rock-work and corals would be helpful in determining what is going on in the tank.

If you're interested in my builds and experience with the Hiatt system you can read these threads. Another Way (My Nano Build) http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32518&KW=Hiatt&PN=1

I would also be happy to help with any other questions if you still want to try the Hiatt System. Currently I am using more traditional filtration since moving to Eagle Mountain but if done correctly the Hiatt System can be used successfully in a reef environment with all types of coral including SPS.

Edited by bfessler - January 30 2011 at 6:44pm
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic