Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Here are my Levels Any Suggestions??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
justinstank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here are my Levels Any Suggestions??
    Posted: January 31 2011 at 10:25pm
i have a 45 gallon tank and am doing my first 5 gallon water change tomorrow.  I tested my tank today and here are the results.  I am wondering if the water change will help these levels at all or if i need to do more! ?

PH 8.4, Alk 2.9, Nitrate 2.5, Nitrite 0.1, Amonia 0.25, Calcium 390.  Any suggestions??

Thank you so much!!!!

Justin
justin williams
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 10:50pm
Ammonia and Nitrites need to be at 0. By those two number it means your tank did not fully cycle. Is your Alk tested at DKH or meq/l? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 11:19pm
thanks for the response, not sure what you mean by the alk testing?  but i use the marine lab kit and 0-1.6 is low, normal is 1.7-2.8 and high is 2.9-3.6 is high and it was high.  can my coral and fish still be ok if my tank has not fully cycled?? i dont have much in it. i am going to do a %15 water change tomorrow and hope it helps.
justin williams
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 11:23pm
Your Alk is tested with Meq/l if your test kit says is at normal range. Alk can be read by using these two type of readings. If your corals and fish do not show any stress you should be fine. Do a 10% water change it wont really change those readings but it also wont slow down the cycle. Do you have Macro algae? how much Live rock do you have? How deep is your sand bed?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 12:17am
ya i have brown algea growing on the glass that i scrape off, my live sand bed is about 3 inches deep, and i have a bunch of live rock in it with lots of growth, mushrooms, trees, and some soft coral, candy canes, frog spon, Zoanthids and snails and hermit crabs, hand leather and the rock is about 45 pounds worth give or take.  How do i get the levels down after the water change? i use reef PH and ALK powder.  I do have liquid calcium, but not sure if putting that in will help.

Thanks again so much! :)
justin williams
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 12:44am
If you put macro algae in there like calurpa or cheato it will help your tank cycle faster. A water change will not really do anything. The bacteria that is the biological filtration needs to multiply in order to handle you bio load. How long has the tank been set up? It sounds like you added some of that stuff way to early. I personally like to cycle my tank before I add livestock because the ammonia and nitrites are toxic to pretty much everything and the more stuff dies the more ammonia it produces. Although some people will add soft corals to filter the water. I think the LPS corals you have wont like it to much. As far as you ALK, PH and Cal is concerned they are in acceptable range. Your calcium needs to be raised a little but other than that I would just add some macro algae and give it a little time until your ammonia and nitrites go down to 0. If there is fish in there cut down on feeding a ton until your tank cycles.

Edited by wickedsnowman - February 01 2011 at 12:45am
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 1:34am
And the two types of testing for alk is meq/l and dkh. Most people around here go off of the dkh readings because most test kits read it that way. So in order to convert it from meq/l to dkh you multiply the number by 2.8 so yours would be roughly 8-9 dkh.
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 12:57pm
Unless the fish in there are Damsels, rushing forward like this could get very expensive.  Do what was suggested and get some macro algae (not the same as the stuff that grows on your glass) and then throw the tank into "idle" mode.  Your tank is clearly not cycled and needs time.  Things will come around in a couple weeks.

Patience, patience, patience...
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 6:50pm
I agree with everyone above.

Here is a simple and good Alkalinity conversion page:
http://www.saltyzoo.com/SaltyCalcs/AlkConv.php
The good range for meq/l is 3-5
At this point the tank mostly needs some macroalgae and time to grow more bacteria.
What brand of salt mix are you using Question
I would add 1/4 cup of baking soda solution now and another 1/4 cup tomorrow.
Would you like some free Macroalgae Question

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 7:32pm
when Mark says 1/4 cup he isn't saying get a 1/4 of baking soda he is saying make the solution and use a 1/4 cup of the solution.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 8:16pm
Thanks for clarifying that. Embarrassed
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic