Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ich hit hard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ich hit hard
    Posted: February 02 2011 at 9:13am
Well guys, I have never had ich before. But from the time we first spotted it last night in the 90 it took about 3 hours to lose.

Bicolor Blenny
Black Clown
Potters Angel

Ugh even though my sump isn't ready we put our UV into the top tank... I cant believe how fast that hit. I expect I will be adding fish to that list. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by Spbeyond - February 02 2011 at 9:14am
90 Gallon Reef w/4 bulb 54W t5

I buy, sell and restore pinball machines. Got one in the basement? ;)
Piscavore1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piscavore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 9:38am

If I remember correctly there is a post in the "Reef Tips" that mentions Ich and Garlic oil. I believe the garlic oil cleared the case of Ich in a relatively short period of time. I would start by looking in the Reef Tips for more specific help. I think vitamin C (buffered) also helps with keeping reff critters healthy.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 10:18am
It sucks.  I had an outbreak of amyloodinium once that killed two dozen fish.  Keep up the uv and good luck.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 11:16am
Now that you have seen it, you will be more likely to recognize it earlier next time.
You must be doing things right. Smile 5 years on this MB and this is your first view of Ich. Count yourself blessed.

How old is the tank?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 2:23pm
The fish had been with us for over a year, but we have just moved them into a new 90 gallon we got over the weekend.

bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 2:35pm
At first I was suprised to see you just noticed ich and 3 hours later you have dead fish.....when ich hits, I don't usually see fish lose that quickly.  IMO, the problem is always greater than ich itself....I don't think ich is all that effective at killing fish (people will think I am crazy), I use it as a sign that something else is up...water parameters, temp, stress, environment, tank mates, etc....in this case, it was the move. (doesn't matter if its 200 miles away or 2 feet away)  I have had to move tanks several times now....the first few times, I saw outbreaks of ich and extreme fish stress...resulted in losses.   It is hard to move these fish to a new tank or new destination, some just don't do well.  I personally would attribute most stress and fish loss during tank upgrades/moves to disturbing the sand bed.  Whenever I rinse the crap out of sand or just go with new stuff, my fish loss and stress is minimal.  If I try just to use the same sand or not rinse it, I get tons of problems.  I think a disturbed sand bed, old sand (6 months +), etc....is frightening...not saying this is why you have a problem, but how did you deal with your sand during the upgrade?

In the mean time....keep your hands out of the tank (I know your rocks probably just aren't right since the upgardeWink) get garlic going in 3-5 small/controlled feedings per day , skim wet, crank the UV, and leave the fish alone.....you need to get the upgrade stable and the fish comfortable with their new place....good luck! Keep us updated.  
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 2:36pm
Can you build a quarantine tank?

I've had ich a few times. I run the UV 24/7, feed a lot of garlic flakes, and dose vitamin C every other day with my top off water.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 9:07am
Casualty update: Jawfish, Clown.

Headed toward 100% mortality. Dang I didn't know ich hit this hard or fast.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 10:59am
I am in total agreement with bur01014

The way the move was done is likely the total reason for the swiftness of the mortality. The ich is just another symptom of stress.

If you would like to explain how the tank was moved/upgraded, I'm sure we can give some pointers to reduce stress now and in any future move. When I move tanks I have very little mortality. I'd be happy to help. Smile
invisionthis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote invisionthis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 11:49am
I am interested in how you did the move as I have a move coming up in about 6 weeks. I have to move my business and that's where my tanks are setup. Looks like I am moving a block down the street...

Jason...

Jason
90 gal w/ 55 gal Sump
Eclipse Combo 29 gal
www.invisioncomputers.com
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 12:26pm
Just go SLOW with the acclumation Invisionthis! I think that is where i went wrong. I put the 90 gallon tank where the old 55 was standing. SO after I got the 90 home from south jordan I had to tear down the 55, put all my livestock in a small tank with a heater and little powerhead and setup the 90 in its place. I think I must not have properly acclimated the fish to the new tank as its salinity was way lower than what I run. So I probably should have gone slower.

bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 1:15pm

Im still interested to know how you dealt with the sand during the upgrade...

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 10:54am
If you want our help with this, you might stop making your own assumptions and instead, answer our questions and then open your mind to learn from what we have to say. Sorry, but it needed to be said. This is the purpose of the WMAS, to learn from each other. Hug
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 11:23am
I agree with what has been said so far and you have probably realized some of the mistakes made. It is very important when moving tanks to properly treat the sand-bed, match the water parameters in the new tank to the old and then acclimate the fish before introducing them to the new system.

Posting answers to the questions may not help you at this point but it will help others who have a similar move coming up. There have been several threads in the past few months on moving tanks including step by step tear down and set up. For those contemplating a move or replacing their existing tank do a search and plan it out well in advance. Post your plan on the board and you'll get plenty of feedback. Proper planning would have saved a lot of grief in this instance.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic