Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

120g on my own now

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tadobug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadobug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 120g on my own now
    Posted: February 02 2011 at 10:54pm
I have had a 120g tank but my boyfriend has mostly taken care of it for the past three years.  He took a job on the road and now I am left to figure out what I am doing with him trying to tell me over the phone.  When we bought a house a year ago we combined my aggressive tank with his reef.

The big problem....
The past six months we have had algea growing in the tank.  ALOT OF ALGEA.  I just bought a Foxface  and also have a blue and Salfine Tang that I think eat it.

Any other suggestions?

Livestock:

Porcipine Puffer
Foxface
Salfin Tang
Blue Tang
Two mating clowns
Koran Angel
Lawn mower blenny
couple of emerald crabs
six line wrasse
Three stripe Damsel
not the spot but the other Mandrin i dont remember what its called
ReefAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 10:57pm
Welcome to the club. Some of our experienced reefers will answer you soon, I'm sure. You came to the right place.
Will work for frags.
(801) 664-0805
Computer Technician. MCSE. VMWare Hack, AD Overlord, Apex Neptune Master, Rapid LED Genius and overall Nerd.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 8:24am
Hi there!  Glad to have you here.

Food going in = waste coming out

Right off I'm curious as to how much you feed the tank, and well the waste is being processed.  Skimmmer?  Water changes?  Live rock?  How many times feeding per week?  Hermit crabs?  etc

Also, if you can by chance share some pics of your tank that would help.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
tadobug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadobug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 10:33am

Okie Dokie.  So for food I usually feed the puffer 5-10 Krill, and maybe some octopus depending on how hungry he is.  The rest of the tank gets 2 cubes of brine shrimp and a cube of rotifers.  Sometimes I do flakes.  I feed them every other day.
I have been having problems with the pump on my skimmer so i bought a new one and it should be here the end of the week to be set up.  I do about a 15 gallon water change every other week. My tank is kind of light with the live rock i only have about a hundred pounds. crabs, i have about 150. snails about the same, but the puffer fish likes to snack on them so i might have less.  I was going to test the levels sometime tonight I will post them when I do.
Any suggestions would help
Thank you
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 11:21am
Yeah I think you are feeding them way to much. Fish dont need as much food as you would think. I would cut that in half or maybe even more. All the food that is not getting eaten is decomposing in the the tank and raising your nitrogen compounds. Which in turn is feeding the algae. So even if you test the water it might not read on the test cause the algae eats it up before it can show. Do you have a refugium set up? I assume you have a sump cause you said that you had a skimmer running before. If so get a clip on light from home depot with a 6500k bulb then throw some macro algae and some sand in there. The macro algae will eat the waste in the water the same as the nuisance algae. Which makes it so the bad algae will have less of a food source.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic