Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Tank Ower

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Tank Ower
    Posted: February 05 2011 at 10:14pm
My husband and I just bought a tank and we are not sure how to start.... Any info on how to start would be great. 
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 10:16pm
Welcome! You will get a lot of good advice! Have a great time.. this is the best hobby EVER~

Give us some details on your tank?
 Pam
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 10:17pm
Welcome to the best and resourceful website in Utah! You wont find a better bunch of people with tons of help any where else but here !

But to start off. Congrats on the tank. Is this your first Salt water tank? What did it come with and what size is it? I would definitely recommend going around and seeing other peoples tanks in your area!
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 10:18pm
Welcome to WMAS. you made the right choiceSmile. here are some tips by Mark Peterson (Who just won lifetime membership to this club)

Reefkeeping Tips
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 10:20pm
ummm all I know is it's 110 gal LOL. Right now we are trying to get it clean before we start putting anything in it. what else would you like to know about it and I can ask my husband?
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 10:22pm
Did you get any lights or a sump or pumps with it? I would defiantly read those tips from Mark. First you want to make sure you have enough equipments to start it up, then follow his steps to a successful reef keeping!
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 10:23pm
Came with wave system fans and the tank that goes under neath to filter... I think the only thing we need to get for it is the pump.
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 10:24pm
oh yes and lights
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 10:25pm
There are pumps all the time for sale on here. Where are you located at?
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 10:28pm
We are out in Layton
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 10:32pm
What can we use to clean the inside of the tank?
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 10:45pm
Vinager and water.
Welcome to the addiction!!!!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 10:52pm
Does anyone have yahoo or msn? My husband has some questions but would like to talk to someone lol. his email is [email protected]. that is for yahoo and msn.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 11:29pm
I'm available most afternoons if you want to call me.  

Also, feel free to stop by, I'm in Centerville.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 11:39pm
Cool I'll let my hubby know... 
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 11:43pm
Welcome to saltwater
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 12:32am
Thanx all for the help so far this forum helps alot. Were is the best place to get our rock and sand? price wise.
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 12:58am
We have a 110 G setup have built in fans  It has a built in center overflow with four returns that are hooked up to two squid wavemakers. Included is all of the plumbing and a custom 50G sump. we also have lil bit of dead sand. So we need to know basics of what to buy to start out. and was told one good place to go was fish 4 you. But if anyone knows were else to get stuff for cheap to start us off would be appreciated.I have had regular fresh water fish and feel like i jumped in head first starting with a BIG tank lol. kinda over whelming.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 6:59am
Welcome! If you could post pics of your setup we could help you even more. As far as Live rock and sand there are several options: You can buy "live" sand in bags but very little of it is live. Your best options are either to start with dry sand and then seed it with a quart of live sand from an established healthy tank, or to buy live sand from a reputable hobbyist who is taking down their tank. You can also use Utah oolitic sand (it's great stuff, and free). Directions to find it can be found in Mark's reefkeeping tips. You can also do the same with Live rock, or use Lake bonneville tufa rock, which is great, free, and easy to find. Directions to it can aslo be found in Mark's guide. Most importantly welcome to WMAS! Any questions you have feel free to ask!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
EvanB756 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvanB756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 8:11am
If it makes you feel better, the general rule is when keeping a reef tank it's always easier the more water you have, like Steve said, LBTR is easy to get and it's free if your looking for rock, sand I'd recommend going with dry(dead) sand and getting a cup or two from a hobbyist in your area to seed the tank.

Just remember with reef tanks the #1 rule is: BE PATIENT and take things slow.

Again welcome to the board! and welcome to the salty side.

90gal display w/ 30gal sump.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic