Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

111 Gallon NPS Build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 111 Gallon NPS Build
    Posted: February 06 2011 at 6:09am
As some of you know I have a sweet 111G setup in the garage that's just begging to be set up, so I'm going to start planning it all out. I'm making this tank 90% NPS (Non-photosynthetic) with only a few exceptions. So to accomplish this I have been thinking about some of the hurdles I'll have to jump to make it work:

-Excess dissolved nutrients (Nitrates, phosphates)
- Algae growth due to light (If nutrients are managed adequately this shouldn't be too bad)
- Rigorous feeding schedule
- Relative unavailability of NPS corals (though it is getting better)
- Aquascaping to deal with unusual flow requirements and growth patterns

Here is how I plan on dealing with some of these problems:

Nutrient load: I am planning to use the bacterial driven method here specifically liquid carbon and bacterial dosing daily. This shouldn't be too much of a problem since I'll have to dose micro foods on an almost constant basis. I'll also couple the bacterial system with a BIG skimmer, and throw a few mangroves in for good measure. I will also be very carefully planning the livestock, and at this point am planning exclusively on frogfish, or a combination of frogfish and a rhinopias (the tank has divided compartments in a step down system). It would almost be a biotope tank as the frogfish would be right at home in the sponges and gorgonians.

Algae growth: I would like to limit lighting but I also want great color so I'll probably end up going with an undersized T5 setup suspended further from the water, I'll have a very short "photo-period" mainly just to allow viewing. 

Availability: patience LOL

Feeding schedule: I recently saw a feeding system using multiple peristaltic pumps in a mini fridge to constantly feed another NPS  tank, it has been a successful system for several years so I plan to pattern my feeding system from this one. 

Aquascaping: This one will be hard, I am tempted to cure the LR in another system to allow it to get covered in coralline algae before putting it into the NPS tank. The other question is that of do I use natural LR (I personally like branch rock or Fiji premium rock) or do I use a man made alternative like marco rock or even cerameco rock. If I go with something artificial should I make it look as natural as possible or go for something more unusual or even "artistic looking"?  

So with all of that please give me your thoughts and constructive ideas below! I would love to have this tank well into being setup by the beginning of May.

Edited by CapnMorgan - March 16 2011 at 10:27pm
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 12:32pm
Sounds pretty cool. Can't wait for some picturesWink
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 9:02pm
Update!

Have some equipment stacking up for the tank I'll start posting pics as I start doing the actual design and plumbing now that it's getting warm:

Return Pump- Iwaki 100RLT (this pump will also provide most of the circulation in the tank.

Lighting- 4 PAR 38 style LED pendants

Feed pump- I picked up a peristaltic hospital grade feeding pump along with a mini fridge I'll use to rig up my constant feeding system.

Heater- 500w Titanium element heater

Controller- I'll be adding this system to run on my Reefkeeper until the new Cerebra hits the market... At which time I'll make the switch Wink

Plumbing- Loc-line is in with 2 eductors to maximize flow, Spaflex for the return pump, and ball valves and unions. 

I'm also playing around with the idea of drilling the tank for a closed loop to add further circulation to each compartment. I'm not sure if I'm quite sold on it yet but am playing with designs.

To do list:
-Send the stand and light arm for powder coating. It will be done in black and then have stainless steel accents added later (going for the more minimalist modern look)
-Drill the sump and put in a couple baffles
-Pick up another skimmer
-Have the tank buffed out to remove scratches
-Build in tank overflow

Please let the suggestions and ideas fly!

Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
FlooringGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlooringGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 10:01pm
Sounds like a ton of work. Good luck. I hope to see it when its done.
Call me for Carpet, Tile, or Hardwood. (801) 263-9600
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 10:03pm
This sounds amazing! I have only seen one or two tanks like this that I really love and I am sure you will be one of those. Can't wait to see it.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 12:56am
Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I'm still stuck on this debate between natural LR, or artificial (Eco-rock, Marco rock, or Vida-Rock) I'll try to get some pics of the tank this week and let you all help me decide.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 1:00am
I like natural LR it looks well, more natural lol! Can't wait for the pics.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 8:49am
So here is a pic of the tank as it sits now, I haven't yet sent it to be polished but did work on smoothing out a couple sharp edges on the waterfalls.  The stand will be black with stainless accents when it is finished, and the bare drain standpipe will be replaced with a black in tank overflow. Here you can see the light arm, and the old MH fixture I'll be swapping out for the LED's. The sectioned design will let me keep 4 frogfish or 3 frogs and a rhinopias.

Edited by CapnMorgan - March 17 2011 at 8:53pm
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 8:54pm
Updated with a better pic of the whole setup.

I've also decided I'll be drilling it for a small closed loop, maybe just one outlet in each compartment.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
badger126 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 2:17pm
Way good to see this tank getting into action man! I look forward to seeing what you do with it!
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 10:16pm
Well with the weather finally cooperating, and with Uncle Sam telling my my tax refund should be arriving Friday I have decided it's time to update everyone on my progress.

I have all the supplies to begin building my closed loop. Each section will have one output as well as one intake. This will give the tank plenty of flow without having to clutter up viewing space with powerheads. 

I was able to procure a combination of premium Fiji LR as well as some Ceremeco Vida-rock to put in the tank, which is now curing for the next couple weeks. 

I am still undecided on livestock. I am definitely going to have a couple Frogs in there, but I can't decide if I would like to have some other smaller fish as well (in a seperate compartment). I would want them to be deepwater/dark loving fish to match the overall feel of the tank. So if you have any ideas let me know! I was thinking a couple small flashlight fish.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 10:27pm
i would say a rhinopias for sure!!Tongue an algea scrub may work really well instead of liqiud carbon.
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 10:38pm
I did toy around with the idea of an algae scrubber but I have LOVED the carbon dosing system. Absolutely no nitrates, no phosphates. I can feed as much as I want, and the bacterioplankton feed my corals 24/7. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2011 at 12:38am
good point.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic