Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

90G Lee-Mar with basement sump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 90G Lee-Mar with basement sump
    Posted: February 06 2011 at 3:33pm
I've had this tank and stand for like 8 years and never been filled.  Cry

The last 3 or 4 years it sat mainly because I knew I'd be building a new house and have no where to keep it during the transition.

It's time has finally come, and during the construction of my new house I took the opportunity to embed 3 1.5" PVC pipes along with an additional chase for cables, or tubing or whatever in the wall after framing was complete.  They drop down to the room below my office that will primarily be a sump room, along with other random junk.  Tongue

I've also got a dedicated 20A circuit wired in for it.  I really should have done two for redundancy, but didn't think of it at the time.  I can always fish a cable up through the chase.

The project is picking up now, last Thursday 100 lbs of Bulk Reef Supply eco rock showed up.

Edited by sunflashx - February 07 2011 at 2:58am
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 3:38pm
I think I'm pretty happy right now with the aquascape given the rock that I have to choose from.  We'll see what sort of criticism I get here first though.

The corner view is what you see from my front door and entry way into the office.  The intent there was for it to be more open sand bed.  The left hand side is what I see from my desk.

Phase 1 will be to finish the plumbing for the overflows.  They'll have ball valves on the underside so I can shut them off.  Then I'll fill it up as is now and work on turning that dead rock into live while I build out the plumbing and sump.

Edited by sunflashx - February 06 2011 at 3:41pm
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 4:48pm
This looks like its going to be a great build =) I'm jealous of anyone who has the ability to have a basement sump/fish room =)
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 5:16pm
This has great potential, and I think you are right on track.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 9:28pm
I like it!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 9:39pm
Thumbs Up
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 3:08am
I'd be on a better track if I remembered the correct size of the tank. Embarrassed

I've been sitting here trying to figure out why I have so little room left in the front of the tank with average size rocks.

That's because it's only a 90 and I'm missing six inches of depth, compared to the tanks I was comparing myself against.  LOL

sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 10:11am
So when I originally bought this thing I think I originally intended to drive a lot more flow through my sump to avoid having powerheads all over my display.  Right now the plan is to have 2x Tunze Turbelle 6105s which are lightyears better than anything that was around when I bought it.

Right now I have 2 overflows with 4 total 3/4 holes.  The plan was a Herbie style system, 1 siphon per overflow 1 gravity per overflow the like drains together and heading down to the basement.  Return comes up the back of the tank.

I don't think I really have the need to run that much flow through the sump.  I can probably push 700+ gph through it with the combination of two drains.  Would I be better served ripping one of them out and blocking off the holes and picking up some tank space?

I think it would also eliminate a possible poorly flowing area between the two overflows.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 8:23pm
Good idea. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 1:03pm
Less flow thru sump downstairs=less noise. Herbie method is one way to go for basement sumps, but be prepared for a couple trips up & down the stairs to adjust the water level in the overflow.
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 8:10pm
I now have semi live rock.  I picked up a coraline coated rock from Mark Petersen, along with another piece of rock with some macro algae on it to start the tank off.

All the well lit areas are cropping up with Coraline algae.  Unfortunately my current lighting system is a 32 watt power compact left over from my old 7G bowfront, so the lighting coverage isn't edge to edge, but it does seem to be causing growth at all depths.

Hard to tell from the pictures, my Canon Rebel died, so I'm stuck with a bad camera now that the tank is sucking up all my money.  Wink

sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 2:00am

As you can see that 32 watt PC isn't going to cut it.  I've got a new LED light fixture in the works.  Currently I'm thinking it will be 1 of 2 I use over this tank.

I'm using 2 meanwell 60-48D drivers.  The blues are wired in parallel as there are 16 lamps which puts me over the voltage limit of the drivers.

Ultimately I'd like to drive the plain blues separately from the rest so I can use them as moonlight and keep the place free of the clutter of an additional lighting system.  That will make my strings too short on lamps though, so I'll have to rewire them again into 1 string.  There's also the fact that driving that few LED's doesn't work with these drivers, I'll have to hunt up a different model Meanwell driver.

Edited by sunflashx - March 25 2011 at 2:06am
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 9:18pm
The best idea would to run the blue and royal blue on 1 circuit and the CW on the other circuit.
It is awesome, controllable from 6k-20k
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 10:13pm
The blues are currently all wired in together.  They're all wired in on the same driver/dimmer.

During normal daylight hours I'd like to run the blues at probably the same output as the Royals, I'd just like to have the capacity to run them low output during the night for moonlights.

That's more of a someday when I buy a controller that can dim the lamps variably throughout the day sort of plan though.

Also, there's no CW.  Strange as it is, all my whites are Neutral White by design.  Mixing in some CW could be good, but it's a struggle to include more colors and still be able to get decent color mixing without using a cost prohibitive number of lamps.  I really like the color this arrangement should provide.  I probably won't know for some time though if it works for me as well as the pictures I'm basing my decisions off.  I don't anticipate having anything that will really show off the colors for a while yet.

sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 12:57am

Drilled my first tank today.  That was somewhat un-nerving.  I'm not sure which is worse, replacing the whole tank, or the idea of tearing the thing apart to try and successfuly replace one pane.

I placed the pump on the edge of my "sumpbench", as it seems like it left more usable work space on the bench.  It also aligns the return more closely to the pipe it joins up with going back up.  The return pump is a ReeFlo UNO Tarpon, the construction of the thing is pretty impressive.

This is one of the Bulk Reef Supply SCH 80 bulk heads.  The thing is a beast compared to my tiny drain bulkheads.  $13 vs $6?  In the upgrade display tank I'm already planning I'll only use these babies.
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 3:41am

Sumpbench just before being painted.  12 cut outs on the back panel for electrical boxes and individual outlets, perfect for clock timers or DC adapters.  The top row and the bottom row will be on separate circuits each chained off of a gfci outlet.

dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 3:56am
Originally posted by sunflashx sunflashx wrote:

I don't think I really have the need to run that much flow through the sump.  I can probably push 700+ gph through it with the combination of two drains.  Would I be better served ripping one of them out and blocking off the holes and picking up some tank space?

I think it would also eliminate a possible poorly flowing area between the two overflows.

dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 4:03am
it would free up some space but you say no powerheads for flow and 700 gph is a bit low for a reef, unless you looking at LPS and softies. also 2x3/4 drains i think 800 gph max. i have 1x1" & 1x3/4" and run a mag 12, if i close the 3/4 drain the tank will over flow in about 4-5 hours. just my thoughts.
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 4:07am
sorry i mean 700 gph is a bit low for a 90 gal. 900 + is more ideal. but just my thoughts.
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by sunflashx sunflashx wrote:

Right now the plan is to have 2x Tunze Turbelle 6105s which are lightyears better than anything that was around when I bought it.

The low flow is just for the sump.  Primary circulation is a Tunze 6105 on a 7096 Controller, and I'm planning on adding a second 6105 to do a back and forth interval or wave generation.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic