Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with water chemistry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
bigfishtoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with water chemistry
    Posted: August 02 2012 at 8:19pm
Hello, I tried that also, put them on bottom and then moved them to near the top. Still they never opened up like they should have and they just wasted away. There got to be a problem.

Thanks
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 2:31pm

This may not be inline with professional recommendations, but when I purchased my frogspawn I put it near the bottom of my tank for about a week.  It looked fine.  Then I moved it up where I wanted it (near the top of my tank).  I am hoping that my clowns, who hang out near the top of the tank, will use it as a host.  Frogspawn is going great in that position.  I've had it there for more than a month now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 1:59pm
Now if I can find out why I cant grow any hammer/frogspawn or duncan corals, that would be great. they all just die.
If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I put them on the sand bed with no luck, so moved them up to the middle and they still just die, they dont even open up very much.

Something is wrong but I dont know, all my water parameters are good. you can see by the pictures my mushrooms are doing great. Is it my lights?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 1:15pm
You are doing awesome. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 1:32pm
Hello Mark,

Ok I stop using the PO4 and removed the AC for now and will only used them for two weeks per month.

My ALK,Ca,Mg levels are fairly constant.

Will wait and see what happens now.

Thanks.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

The answer to that question will be revealed in time.
It's been more than a month without all that nuisance algae, of which there was a ton.
Give the tank and it's residents some time to grow into the new look, feel and smell.
Additionally, I would stop using PO4 remover for a while. I have never run it continuously. When algae is growing and then harvested from the Refugium the PO4 is being eaten and removed so there is little need for PO4 remover except maybe for a month every six months.

Though some people choose run it continuously, I also recommend AC be run for only 2 weeks per month. There are various reasons for this; too much of a good thing is not good and the risk of a fish condition called HLLE.

And finally, are the Alk, Ca and Mg levels kept fairly constant? If so, I'll bet that in about a month a frag of Euphyllia or a duncan placed in an appriate spot for flow and lighting, will do well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 2:49pm
Now if I can find out why I cant grow any hammer coral and frogspawn coral or duncan corals, that would be great. they all just die.

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 8:15pm
Hello Mark,

Yes I still have some PO4 remover in my reactor and I change my AC every two weeks. The Refugium looks good with the good algea growing for the first time.

thanks..
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 7:07pm
The answer to that question will be revealed in time.
It's been more than a month without all that nuisance algae, of which there was a ton.
Give the tank and it's residents some time to grow into the new look, feel and smell.
Is PO4 remover being used? The level is okay now and can be handled by the algae growth.
How does the Refugium look?
How about AC? How long is it left in the system and how often is it changed? 2 weeks per month is usually sufficient. (It is possible to clean the water too much.)
Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 12:45pm
Thanks rufessor,

You are right and the Leather corals are growing again and the yellow polyps are starting to open up again too. This was just very weird to see this happen and wonder why. Now if I can find out why I cant grow any hammer coral and frogspawn coral or duncan corals, that would be great. they all just die.

Thanks
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 10:14am
Unsure if your leather and polyps are back to looking fine, but I would suspect they are.  Leather corals will "shed" their top layer of "skin" every so often for no apparent reason (I would say 2-4 times a year).  Mine gets darker looking, almost glossy, and can have no polyp extension for over a week, then the top will fall off (good thing to do is to use a turkey baster to get it off and suck it out of the water) and then its normal again for some months.  The polyps are less predictable, I used to think they would go through open and close cycles randomly when I was in a nano with less predictable chemistry (I guess)- but now in my larger tank they are pretty much always open unless a crab just walked all over them.  

Probably fine, I would change carbon after the leather sheds JUST to be sure.  
Doubly so if its a big piece.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 7:47pm
Just need some more advise, my yellow polyps are not opening up and my cabbage coral is looking real bad, its not opening up and it turned a darker color. Here are some pictures of the polpys and cabbage coral, sorry but not all that clear.

I have not changed anything and my water parameters are:
PH--8.4
NITRITE--0
NITRATE--0
PHOSPATE--.02
CALCUIM--363 added some to make it 400ppm
ALK---10.3 DKH
MAG--1050 added some to make it 1400ppm
TEMP--79
SALINITY--1.026

The mushrooms are doing just fine. So any advise would help! Maybe this is normal from time to time.

Thanks

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 1:06pm
Awesome!
Great job!
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 4:08pm
It is great to see such an improvement.  Congratulations to you for following through, and Mark for his expertise.  Now enjoy your tank.

Originally posted by bigfishtoo bigfishtoo wrote:

Just an update on algae problem, I took Mark Peterson advise and followed his instruction and here some pictures of tank as of April 3, 2012. Let me tell you my wife is very happy to see that old algae mess gone.

Mark Peterson thank you for all your advise and help!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 11:29am
Yes I added a rose anemone, its on the left side in picture, next to over flow box.

Thanks
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 10:43pm
Wow huge difference I'm loving it ! Did you add an anemone yet?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 1:29pm
Thanks rize2
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 1:20pm
looking great!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 12:59pm
Just an update on algae problem, I took Mark Peterson advise and followed his instruction and here some pictures of tank as of April 3, 2012. Let me tell you my wife is very happy to see that old algae mess gone.

Mark Peterson thank you for all your advise and help!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 12:12pm
Hello Mark,

Yes, I changed the light fixture, put 2 vho's on each side of the halide's lights and lowered all closer to the water by about 2". Yes there is a big difference with new snails and crabs, they are going to town so far.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic