Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with water chemistry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 11:51am
bigfishtoo pm'd me yesterday:

I have tried all I know how to get my nitrates down, fighting the red slime and I have done water changes, clean skimmer, replace light bulbs, use carbon, shut lights off for three days, my cheato will not grow and i have two 65 watt 6500k light on refugium. You can see from my pictures of my set up. I tested all my water and all is good but nitrate is 25 to 30. I can even keep snails alive. I removed all the live rock and cleaned off red slime and cleaned glass and now its back. Please can you help get this gone, what do i need to buy or do. No one around here has any clues. I live in Elko Nevada, and my pictures of my tank are under reef chemistry, page two, topic need help with water chemistry. I took a lot of cabbage coral out as requested. Please any help would be great.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 11:54am
How many snails?
What did you do with the Cabbage Leather?
How much area does the cyano (red slime) cover?
What else has happened since the anemone?
bigfishtoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 4:17pm
Well I had over 20 turbos and 100 ceriths and 20 bubble bee snails, I gave the extra cabbage coral to friends. The red slime is all over everything, nothing else has happened since I lost the anemone.

Tank is 48"x24"x24" 120 gallons

Lights are four 110watt vhos with 2-actinic white & 2-actinic blue and 2 175watt 14,000k halides.

Have two koralia 3 and 1 aquaclear 901 in main tank for water movement, plus have the return pump a quiet one 4000.

Have a octo 200 skimmer in sump, bag of carbon and a bag of phosguard and I use oceanic natural sea salt mix. I have some cheato and some crushed coral, about 2 inches in sump, last night I removed all the crushed coral and cleaned all the muck out and put the algae back in with some live rock.

So if anyone can help I would be very greatfull, do I need some other reactor or what, please help.
You can see the pictures above of tank and sump.

Les
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 5:11pm
how old are your blubs? also you could try chem pure (NOT clean) it removes metals. alot of people think red slime is from nitrates i disagree i feel it can help but i have gotten it in my tank with less than 5 nitrate.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 6:02pm
My bulbs are almost new and i have tried red slime remover in little bottle powder formula.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by dc dc wrote:

how old are your blubs? also you could try chem pure (NOT clean) it removes metals. alot of people think red slime is from nitrates i disagree i feel it can help but i have gotten it in my tank with less than 5 nitrate.

This can be the case sometimes, there are many different strains of cyanobacteria most of them metabolize different things. However in most cases test for nitrates will come back low due to the fact that the cyanobacteria is consuming it as it is produced.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 7:35pm
FWIW, I don't see a dirty Refugium. I'm afraid that messing with it may only cause more of the problem you are trying to fix.

I would like to know:
How did you go about cleaning the Refugium sand?
Are you vacuuming the sand in the display?
How long has the rock been in that position?
I also see hair algae. How long has that been growing. Is it increasing?
What color is the Phosguard? White, tan or brown?
What fish are in the tank?
How much of what type of food do you feed?

Red Slime Remover is just prolonging the problem. Try to resist the temptation to use it. We will help you get to the root of the problem so you don't have to use chemicals any more.
Sorry for all the questions. Embarrassed

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 16 2011 at 7:42pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 12:52am
Well all I did was pick out any dead plant materials, refugium had 2 inches of crushed coral. display I use clear pipe with vacuum from hose to clean sand. The rock has been in tank for over two years now. The hair algea started the same time red slime started. I change my phosguard when it turns tan in color as per instructions maybe to soon.

List of fish;
1- engineer goby 10" long
2- tomato clownfish
2- yellow damels
1- purple dottyback
1- black & white butterfly fish

My engineer goby is forever digging the sand bed, moving the sand out from under the rocks, thought this is ok--maybe not?

I feed my fish frozen mysis shrimp, krill, brine shrimp, julian seaweed, I dont feed all this at once I rotate feeding two cubes after I defrost and wash food with plain water from sink and then feed fish. The seaweed I attach 1/2 sheet to a clip once a week.

Could it be my engineer goby making all this problem stiring and moving the sand around.

Thanks...
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 9:17am
Hi Les,

Sorry to hear you're now battling Cyano. I had a similar issue last year. The red slime started building up almost immediately after cleaning the tank. I tried blasting it with a turkey baster, reducing feeding and light cycles, and most of the other suggestions in the above posts. Nothing seemed to help. In my case the red slime looked like a stringy mess and had some bubbles mixed in with it when I allowed it to sit for a couple days without touching it. I ultimately lost several SPS corals and was ready to give up. 

I was in the process of moving so the tanks weren't getting as much attention as they should. I eventually tracked down the issue to a white eggcrate that I was using in my frag tank both as racks for corals and to build a plenum. I removed the white eggcrate frag racks and within a few days saw a marked improvement. Apparently some of the white eggcrate can leach phosphates into the system. My experience is that cyano is more tied to phosphate than nitrate and that the water levels will test close to 0 phosphate because the cyano is eating it up as fast as it is produced. 

Shortly after this incident I had to move and set up a new system with about 120 gallons of water volume. The new frag system is built from stock tanks because of their large volume and low height. I have a 50 gallon bare bottom frag tank, a 50 gallon refugium with 4 to 6" DSB over 70% of the bottom, a 20 gallon skimmer section and a 28 gallon Nano all plumbed together. Things were going fine for a couple months and then the red slime started to appear again in the refugium. This time I added Cheato and Caulerpa to the refugium and saw no decrease in the cyano.

I had been looking into bio pellets to increase the processing of nitrate and phosphates. I got a Two Little Fishies Phosban reactor and some biopellets form Bulk Reef Supply. I set up the reactor and within a couple weeks there was no sign of cyano and it hasn't been back since. Everything is doing great now. One thing I did in addition to adding the biopellets was to add some RN Bacteria. It was suggested that the addition of bacteria to the system would speed up the colonization of the reactor and I had some RN Bacteria (used for the Hiatt System) on hand so I added it to my system. 

Overall I am very happy with the biopellets and it may be worth a try in your system. You don't have to dose a bacteria supplement as the pellets will colonize with bacteria on their own but the literature on BRS suggests that it will take 4 to 8 weeks for the filter to become established and dosing bacteria like ZeoBack can speed up the process.

Good luck with your battle. I know from experience that this can be frustrating.

Oh also with regard to the engineer goby, If he is constantly stirring a majority of the sand bed it may prevent the sand bed from doing its job properly. This is because anaerobic bacteria found deep in the sand bed cannot become established. This bacteria is responsible for processing nitrate to nitrogen and keeping nitrates low. 

Edited by bfessler - April 17 2011 at 9:18am
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 5:09pm
Ok thanks I will order a reactor and biopellets from Bulk Reef Supply today. Can anyone see anything wrong with my piping and powerheads, do I need to change any thing. Please let me know.

Thanks
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 5:58pm
How did you go about cleaning the Refugium sand?
Well all I did was pick out any dead plant materials, refugium had 2 inches of crushed coral.
Okay, it sounded like you took out the crushed coral and rinsed it. Is that what you did?

Are you vacuuming the sand in the display?
I use clear pipe with vacuum from hose to clean sand.
Vacuuming the sand in a reef tank is best if it limited to the top 1/2" of sand only once in a while. Engineer Gobies are tough on sand beds. This is, I believe, the major reason for the algae problem. If you want to keep the Goby, we can work around it and probably do it without any added expense. Water changes? How much how often?

How long has the rock been in that position?
The rock has been in tank for over two years now.
In usual circumstances a more open sand bed improves filtration. Don't change it right now, because that could cause more problems that you don't need right now. Put it on a list to do later.

I also see hair algae. How long has that been growing. Is it increasing?
The hair algae started the same time red slime started.
That what I expected. The tank had been doing it's best to process the waste but once the Algae got going it all got out of control. We have all been there. Have you read my sad story?
http://www.garf.org/ugly.html

What color is the Phosguard? White, tan or brown?
I change my phosguard when it turns tan in color as per instructions maybe to soon.
You can let it get a lot darker, but it's not a big deal. The Phosphate is not the major cause of the algae problem.

List of fish;
1- engineer goby 10" long
2- tomato clownfish
2- yellow damels
1- purple dottyback
1- black & white butterfly fish

My engineer goby is forever digging the sand bed, moving the sand out from under the rocks, thought this is ok--maybe not?

Yes that's part of the problem, but we can work around it. The bug eating Goby and Dottyback are eating any algae eating bugs they can find. This sets the tank up for an algae problem. Don't feel bad. We all had to learn this and most of us including me, learned it the hard way. I killed $1000 worth of animals in my first 18 months of keeping a reef tank.

How much of what type of food do you feed?
I feed my fish frozen mysis shrimp, krill, brine shrimp, julian seaweed, I dont feed all this at once I rotate feeding two cubes after I defrost and wash food with plain water from sink and then feed fish. The seaweed I attach 1/2 sheet to a clip once a week.
Do they eat the Seaweed? How often and how much of the shrimp at each feeding?

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 17 2011 at 6:53pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 6:35pm
Mark,

Yes I took all the crushed coral out of my refugium, I though it was the reason for my high nitrates, when I cleaned it out it was full of brown smelly matieral, I installed some live rock and tied some caulerpa to to the rocks and throwed the cheato whats left back in refugium. I also installed a maxi jet 1200 in sump for more water movement. This might have been a mistake on my part at this time.

On the vacuuming the sand bed your right, the gobie has dug almost all the sand out from under the live rocks and piles it up next to glass, I'v had to push it back under the rocks when I can, for this reason I going to give the goby away. Back to water changes, I change about 20% every two weeks with ro/di water.

What should I replace the goby with (herbivores)?

The butterfly is eating the seaweed, I feed 1/2 sheet once a week and what butterfly leaves the snails consume the rest overnight. Now for feeding I was taking one mysis shrimp and one krill frozen cubes and running them under water until defosted and them I feed a pinch at a time until they eat all the food, this might be my downfall on over feeding.

So please let me know whats next, I will loose the goby and restack live rock to open more area for the sand bed to improve filtration.

Thanks..
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 7:30pm
I think that cleaning out the Refugium will help in the long run, but usually that kind of disturbance causes a temporary increase in pollution. I would turn on the refugium light 24 hours a day for 3-4 days to help eat up the pollution. More flow within the Refugium is good because algae grows better in faster water. More flow through the Refugium would also help, because more "dirty" water passes over the algae to feed it more and faster.

The hobby in general doesn't seem to realize this, but new saltwater actually helps algae grow. 10% per month is plenty of new water for today's reef aquariums. Part of the reason the hobby doesn't realize it is because in the past, we did water changes to reduce pollution, mostly Nitrite and Nitrate pollution. Now that we have developed good biological filtration processes, like algae, LS, LR and even LW, we don't have to depend on water changes so much anymore. But the tradition dies hard. Fewer and smaller water changes is good news for you. 10% per month is going to reduce the amount of time and money that's going into the tank. Thumbs Up

Do you need ideas on easy ways to catch the Goby? Yes, snails is a very replacement at this time. Later when the algae is decreasing, if there are so many snails that they are too hungry and out all day, they can be traded to someone else. Will you be coming to Salt Lake to get snails?

I would cut the Nori (Seaweed) to only as much as is eaten in 10 minutes. The extra is actually adding to the Cyano algae problem.
I can't say for sure that you are overfeeding, but in general most hobbyists I meet are overfeeding. It's easier to understand feeding if you realize that in the wild fish eat anytime they can and will eat until their bellies are about to pop. They never know when their next meal will be. In our tanks we have to exercise some control or we would be constantly dealing with massive pollution.
Is that two cubes/day? Can you cut back to one cube a day? Don't bother about rinsing it, just feed the entire cube. The different particle sizes in the food actually feed all different kinds of animals in the reef. I agree with feeding slowly so that they get it and less falls to the bottom uneaten. Skip a day of feeding each week. This reduces pollution and causes some of those fish to eat some algae.Thumbs Up

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 17 2011 at 7:31pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 9:03pm
Thanks for all the information, I will catch the goby tomorrow and go from there. I will try to make a trip to SLC soon for snails, unless you know anyone who would ship some to my location. I will change my feeding habit and post some new pics later on to show my progress.

Again thanks to all, this is a great site to get information, please keep it going.
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2011 at 12:08am
1 thing i missed you say you are using Phosguard. did you know that you are suppost to change it every 3-4 days?(seachem anyway)
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2011 at 12:12am
Of course I would always prefer someone to buy from our local reefers but if you cant make it all the way to slc ( its a long drive from Elko) reefcleaners.org is an awesome place to get a clean up crew snails/ crabs for cheap. John Maloney is a super nice guy. They have invert packages that ship for free. Also I know a 10% off coupon code PM me if you want it.

http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=20&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=34

Edited by wickedsnowman - April 18 2011 at 12:14am
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2011 at 5:30pm
Chad here on this MB lives in West Valley City and sells Snails and Hermits for about 50 cents each. It's the best value if you are coming to SLC anyway.

Phosguard is a chemical called Aluminum Hydroxide. It attracts Phosphate and some Silicate. Completely exhausted it is a very dark tan almost brown. The supplier would have you change it often so they can make more money.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfishtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2011 at 10:37pm
Hello Mark,
Who is MB that sell snails and hermits

Thanks
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2011 at 8:57am
MB = message board/forum.
Chad is his first name and also his name on this MB.
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 3:41am

Do you have any new photos of the tank?  Just curious on how it is looking now that some time has gone by. 

Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic