Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sump sock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sump sock
    Posted: February 08 2011 at 10:42pm
Is there something I can substitute for a sump sock? Does pantyhose or something like that work just as good?
ninja_brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja_brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 12:27am
I have tried other things but they seem to wither away if I don't replace them frequently.  The filter socks however have lasted for soo long wash after wash that it was worth the cost to buy them.  They also seemed to filter out more detritus than other materials did.
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 12:39am
you can use filter pads.
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 1:08am
I use a bag almost like cheesecloth that is supposed to be for carbon Pantyhose would probably work just watch for dyes and such I know it can get you out of a pickle used as an aircleaner thumbs up for ingenuity (-;
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 9:23am
There are plenty of things you can use for filtering out small particles depending on your application but if you're looking for something to filter the water coming from the overflow it's hard to beat a good quality filter sock. I find that alternative products don't last long, are more difficult to change and wind up causing more problems than they are worth but they will get you buy in a pinch. If you make or buy the sock holder it makes changing the socks a breeze. I've heard of low quality socks that fall apart when washed but I've been using the same 2 socks for months, I just toss the used one in the wash and put on the spare. I like the 7" size over the 4" if you have room in your sump because they last a lot longer between changes.

Here is a pic of the sock holder I made for my 7" Diameter socks.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 10:09am
If you want some links, let me know.  There's some great filter sock places online that are about half of what you'd pay at the LFS.  I actually use 3 on my 225 FW tank so I have 4-5 spares to swap them out.  Been using them for years now and they seem to show very little wear.

If you are going to place an order - post here as others may go in on it with you and help cut your shipping cost.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic