Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Caulerpa turned white!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caulerpa turned white!
    Posted: February 09 2011 at 7:51pm
Should I be concerned that a large portion of my 2ft x 1ft section of feather caulerpa in my 210 gallon display tank has all of a sudden turned white?
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 7:54pm
Yes!  Pull it now.  Not worth chancing.  

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 8:20pm
Pull out just the portion that has turned white or all of it?
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 9:22pm
Pull anything that has started to change color. If you cut the stem it may stop the rest of the caulerpa from going sexual. This is usually a sign that the water column is deficient in a nutrient that the caulerpa needs to thrive.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 12:19am
Throw some extra fish food directly into the Refugium or the display or both. If you have some Miracle grow or other plant food, that's even better. What kind of algae is in the Refugium. Is it Chaeto and is to growing well?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 1:18am
Pull all of it out, dont want to take chances and make thing worse. I would put them the caulerpa in a bucket to see what it does next without compromising your tank
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 7:27am
I had a bunch do this when I switched from tap water top off to RO. However I didn't heed the advice given and lost it all to my clean up crew. Shortly after I got a cyno bloom that was crazy. So get it out now.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Throw some extra fish food directly into the Refugium or the display or both. If you have some Miracle grow or other plant food, that's even better. What kind of algae is in the Refugium. Is it Chaeto and is to growing well?

Yes Mark.  He should quickly pollute his tank in an effort to keep his filtration (algae) working.  It's already showing signs of stress and may shut down... let's just throw some more nutrients into the tank while we're at it.

Arthur- go with my advise, pull it out, and ignore Mark on this one.LOL

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 11:05am
What was I thinking? Confused Save the Caulerpa Wacko
This morning I have come to my senses. Smile
I'd keep pulling out the white stuff but leave the green. When this has happened to me, a little bit of the Caulerpa survived and grew back. The stuff that dissolved provided enough nutrient for what was left to grow again.

So the thing to figure out is why did it go sexual? Why did it run out of food? Has there been a drastic reduction in feeding? Is there competition from Chaeto?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 12:24pm
Pull it out while leaving any green areas that seem complete enough to grow back.
I lost almost all my caulerpa when I moved to my new system two months ago. Feather caulerpa is now growing back from the last remaining places that stayed green. My problem was turbo snails eating it at the same time the tank had low nutrient levels. I removed it anytime that I could.
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 2:38pm

Well I removed all that had turned white. I also did a heavy feeding it had been a few days since I had fed the tank. I don't have a big bio-load on this tank. It has a ton of soft corals and a few stonies, about 6 firefish gobies and 2 blue spot jawfish.

So I did a water test last night and here are the results:
NO2 - <5ppm
pH - 8
Alk - 9.5
Cal - ? ran out of test solution
Mag - 1180
Phos - 0
salinity - 1.023 - 1.024

I think it might be the 0 phosphates and the really low nitrates that caused it. I also remembered I still had a big bag of chemipure in the Refugium from a couple of months ago when I had a bit of a tank crash due to some chemical warfare between some corals that cost them their lives plus others. You would think from that I would have learned my leason about running skimmerless but no. I ran the skimmer for about a month and that was it.

So I removed the bag of chemipure and I dosed the tank with some kalk and iodine.

Thursday 6 Oct 2016
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 2:43pm
Your Mag levels are a bit low as well. I would try to bring it up to between 1300 and 1400.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 3:02pm
Heck i would bring them up to 1500! I have the best growth and color out of all my corals when my MG is about 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic