Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maroon Clownfish Not eating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FlooringGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlooringGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maroon Clownfish Not eating
    Posted: February 10 2011 at 11:34am
I have a clownfish I just added 3 days ago he is not eating.  Tried frozen brine, spectrum pellet & flake.

Any Suggestions?
Call me for Carpet, Tile, or Hardwood. (801) 263-9600
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 11:52am
Try soaking the food in garlic.
90 gallon mixed reef
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 12:05pm
How does the clown look? Is it active or lethargic?

Some fish just take a while to get accustomed to their new surroundings and if they are in good health they can go several days without eating. If it seems sick then that's another problem.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlooringGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 12:08pm
He is less active today then he has been the last two days.  He has never left the anemone since I got him.  He is just moving around in it very little.
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 1:40pm
do you have a pic of the clown? how did you acclimate your clownfish? did you saw him eat before you purchase it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlooringGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 2:07pm
no.  He looks really good though., yes, no

He is about 3"
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 2:34pm
About all you can do at this point is wait and see. Did you get it from a LFS. Most guarantee their fish for between a day and a week after purchase. If yo got him form a LFS I would call them and let them know what's going on, that he hasn't eaten since you brought it home and see what their policy is. Don't wait a week to tell them there is a problem.

With any luck he will start eating soon.
Burt

[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlooringGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 3:17pm
dead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlooringGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 3:54pm
Bought it from Marine Aquatics.  Just talked to Jerry.  They have NO GUARANTEE as soon as it leaves the store.

I thought that was one of the reasons you buy from a LFS.  Rather disappointed in Marine Aquatics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlooringGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 3:55pm
I bought Monday night.  I have had him 2 and a 1/2 Days.  I talked to Jerry early this morning about his eating.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 4:58pm
Sorry to hear about the loss. I hate loosing fish shortly after bringing them home but hopefully others reading this will learn a little about buying livestock from the LFS.

It's always best to find out about a stores return policy for dead fish before making the purchase. That way you know going in what to expect if you have a problem. Other things you can do to maximize your chances of success are.

1. Ask how long the fish has been in the store. New arrivals are stressed from capture to delivery at the LFS. If the fish just came in ask them if they will hold the fish for you for a few days if you put a deposit on it. This will allow allow the fish to recover before you take it home. Many stores run their holding tanks with copper medication to help eliminate any parasites that may come in on the fish. Leaving it at the LFS will give the medication time to work.

2. Ask the LFS to feed the fish. Don't buy one unless you see it eat.

3. Buy Tank Raised fish whenever possible. Tank raised fish are more likely to eat prepared foods from the start and are already used to life in the tank.

4. Don't buy fish still in the bag from the shipper. I have a friend who did this and the fish was sick. It wound up killing 90% of the fish in his display.

5. QT if possible. Most of us don't have a QT but it will prevent an infected fish from bringing disease to your display.

6. When purchasing corals be sure to dip them in CoralRx or another dip. This will prevent 90% of the problems from pests and hitchhikers.

Edited by bfessler - February 10 2011 at 5:21pm
Burt

[email protected]
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 5:12pm
+1 on what bfessler saidSmile

I like purchasing my fish on Petvillage all of my fishes purchase from there are still alive a kicking
philhender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 5:15pm
Burt, what LFS in the area offer the 1 day to a week guarantee? I've always seen posted.. NO GUARANTEE on SW Livestock...  just curious ;)
I asked the Lord for the blessing of Patience... he gave me 6 kids!

125g Reef / 55g Sump-Fuge
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 5:24pm
I believe Aquatica and ReefRunners both have at least 24 hour guarantee and if I'm not mistaken Aquatica will extend that but you have to bring the fish and a sample of the water for testing to make sure it wasn't a problem with your tank. I buy most of my fish in Utah County so I'm not sure about the SLC Stores.
Burt

[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 5:36pm
They don't always publish their return policies either and I have heard some say that they get different stories depending on who waits on them. That's why I suggest you ask them personally what the dead fish policy is and make sure the fish have been in the store for at least a few days to a week before bringing it home.

Most of the LFS want to keep their customers happy and will usually do something to make it up to you if a fish dies soon after you take it home but you have to ask them. I'll bet Jerry will do right by you as well if you press him although the fish did live for a couple days so that could be an issue.
Burt

[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlooringGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 5:53pm
I wont go back there.  What is the purpose of buying from a LFS if they dont guarantee healthy fish.  It is better to buy online or from a LFS that does.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 6:04pm
No LFS that I shop at has a guarantee. I've lost a few here and there but mostly it's been a great experience. Burt is right on his tips.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 6:26pm
I know Jerry and he is really pretty easy to work with. Just be nice and tell him how dissapointed you are at loosing the fish and ask him if there is anything he can do to make it up to you. I'll bet he will give you store credit or additional discounts or something to make you happy. If not then try another store.

Personally I don't like buying Fish on-line. I like to see it first and can't wait at home for the delivery to come in so the LFS is a real value to me. Just like there are good and bad LFS's there are also good and bad consumers. By following the suggestions above and building a relationship with the LFS you will likely find they will work with you and bend over backward to make you happy. Marine Aquatics also gives paid club members 10% off. Wink
Burt

[email protected]
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 6:58pm
the aquarium has a guarante on their fish and i think fish for u does to, i bought a few corals from marine aquatics and they look healthy but i would not buy a fish from them, one of the guys at marine aquatics is really nice the other one is not to say the least 
It's not about what you know but about who you know
cochiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cochiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 12:00am
yeah the aquarium has a week 50% guarantee on their saltwater livestock
65 gal show tank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic