Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fishies Died

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishies Died
    Posted: February 10 2011 at 1:29pm
So I have a new tank and it has completed its cycle.  I added a chromis as my first fish and he has been doing fine for over a week.  I also have snails and crabs that are doing ok.

I figured it was time to add my clowns so I purchased a pair of True Perculas.  Put them in the tank and the big female died the 3rd day.  I pulled her out.  Then my chromis died 2 days after that.  My other percula is doing ok.  My snails and crabs are ok.  My water parameters appear to be ok.  Not sure what caused this.

PH - 8.0
Salinity - 1.024
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Alkalinity - Medium Low on the card not sure what the exact measurement was.  Its a red sea test kit.  I dont doubt the test kits they are not that old and had readings several times during the cycle.  

I didnt test calcium but I doubt that would kill a fish.  I use Oceanic Salt.  My tank finished its cycle about 2 weeks ago.  I did a 20% water change and let the tank sit for 2 days before I added those clowns.  Tested again and all was good.

Tank is 58 gallons with 29 gallon refugium/sump that holds about 15 gallons of water.  Pretty typical setup, 4 Bulb T5, PC bulb over fuge, Octopus 110 skimmer, rio12HF return pump, 2 evo 1050 power heads.  50lbs rock in the display and about 10 in the fuge.  5 inch sand bed in the display and none in the fuge.  
What happened?
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 1:33pm
Where did the clowns come from?
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 1:37pm
Fish4U
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 1:39pm
I see where your going with this but they did not appear to be sick.  They were just fine when I added them.  Although I should have quarantined them for a day before adding them to my tank.  I currently dont have a Q-Tank setup though.
ninja_brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja_brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 10:54pm
I would be curious to know the actual Alk levels.

In the past I have had troubles keeping fish alive and Mark here on the forums helped me to correct my problem.

My Alk was a stead 6.5 - 7 and once I began dosing Alk (baking soda from Walmart) to bring my Alk up to 11 I have not lost a fish since.  This has been 8 month now.  In addition to this I began using RO water.  Not sure which of this two changes was the winner but my guess is that it was my Alk change.

What water do you use for top off and water changes?
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 12:39am
I agree with Brandon correct me if I am wrong but the red sea test is measured in meq/l  and the medium range is like 1.8-2.7 or something like that. If it was on the low end of that then that means your ALK is really low like 6 DKH or around there.
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 8:28am
I am curious why a low alk would kill fish?  Is it because you get large pH swings?  Have you tested the pH first very early in the morning before any light?
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 8:52am
I havent tested the PH that early.  Usually when I get off work.  I think I will buy a good Alk test kit on the way home and test it again.  Mine is almost out anyways.  I usually buy API is that good enough?  Should I buy a calcium and magnesium test kit too?  I dont think those would kill a fish though.

I use dechloronized tap water.  I have been looking into RO units.  The main reason I didnt get one is because I rent and didnt want to rip it out when I move.  I found a kit at BRS that has a faucet adapter that would work perfect.  I will be buying this next week.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 9:32am
Alkalinity is so very very very important. It has a large impact on the general health of the reef. Depriving a tank of Alkalinity is like depriving it of air.
Yes, pH will be lower, especially at night, when it naturally swings down. In this case the pH swing would be even more pronounced.

But in this case we also need to talk about the "cycle". My greatest wish in this hobby is to help people understand what the "cycle" really is and how to completely avoid it. It would be great if we could eliminate the term from our discussion.

I'll begin simply by stating that there are many processes in nature which have to be in balance for life to survive. The process of eating up dead organic material is one of the most important. Even in a new tank there is a lot of dead stuff. Anything that was once alive, even dirt, is dead stuff. This is pollution. New LR being placed in a tank is an example of extreme pollution.

When we add a chunk of LR to our tank, if it came from the LFS or was shipped in, it was out of water. Why am I so concerned about it being out of water.Confused I mean it's only rock. Stop and think for a moment and consider what that means. All the plants and animals that were growing on and inside that LR must be in moving saltwater to live. What will happen when they have been high and dry for 1-7 days? To put this into perspective, consider this. What would happen if you were submerged in saltwater for 1-7 days?

Those plants and animals were high and dry(damp) several times in the last month as they were transported from the ocean to a holding tank to the distributor to a holding tank, to the LFS to a holding tank, to your aquarium. When we buy a box of LR online, the only step we skipped was the LFS. Most everything that was alive on that rock has died. Only the toughest things survive that ordeal. There is a lot of dead stuff on and inside the LR.

Now let's get to the reasons for the deaths of the new fish in Preston's/Chevmaro's new tank. The different processes that must happen in a reef tank are actually quite complicated. But we don't have to know much of the technical stuff, if we recognize one important thing. It takes time for these processes to develop and stabilize. The so called "Nitrogen Cycle", which is the process of eating up pollution, is only one of those processes.

Preston, you and I can help everyone reading this to understand how to keep a better reef aquarium. If you don't mind, I'd like to quote the first line of your OP. "So I have a new tank and it has completed its cycle." Maybe you were referring to this illustration.

Probably not. Most likely, you were thinking of this one.

But this is not the only process going on. There are many others, like this one.

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 11 2011 at 9:52am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 9:59am
That's enough graphs. I said we didn't need to know the technical details and it's true. If we realize that there is a lot going on then we might better realize that simply waiting for Nitrates to come down, is not the end of it. In fact we can actually avoid the idea of waiting for Nitrates to come back down. We can practically forget about the "cycle"

Sorry, got a work call and had to leave for a few hours. Fish gotta swim, pelicans [and fish nerds] gotta eat.

The way to avoid the high Nitrogen levels of the graph above is to follow the method of using some LS, some LR from another tank moved submerged, some LW and as much Macroalgae as you can get your hands on.

Whoops, sorry, gotta leave again. I'll be back later.

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 11 2011 at 4:45pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 10:50pm
I went to Lowes and picked up a better refugium light.  I was using a Picotope 9watt pc light and I havent got much growth.  I picked up a clip on light and a 18 watt pc bulb its much brighter going to try that for a while.  Went to Petsmart to get an alkalinity test kit and they didnt have one.  I was suprised.  I will goto Fish4u tomorrow and pick one up.  I am going to test the water again then do a small weekly change and wait i guess.
JB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 11:34pm
LOL Take your check book....I bought a Mag & Alk test kit there and it was 43.00 bucks. Just did not plan on that much... It has help me alot with my tank.
If not for construction, where would we be?
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 11:40pm
IMO $43 well spent.. Think of how much people spend on there livestock and then lose them cause the dont keep their water params in check.
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 12:01am
The mag kits are expensive.  I really like the guys and gal at fish4u though they always have what i need and treat me good.  I even drive 20 miles to get there.  I dont haggle them much on price either because i always seem to have a credit of some kind from being in there club thing.
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 5:13pm
Ran a full range of tests today:
Amm. 0
Nitrite. 0
Nitrate. 0
PH - 8.2 in the morning and afternoon did not change
Alk. 9.3 dkh
Calc. 490
Mag. 1410
Salt. 1.024
Temp. Steady at 76 all day and night

Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 5:17pm
alk was low again this morning.  i put in some kent marine cb A, B and tested again this afternoon with the above results.  I think i put a bit much in because caclium and alkalinity are both hgih.  Are these too high?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Alkalinity is so very very very important. It has a large impact on the general health of the reef. Depriving a tank of Alkalinity is like depriving it of air.
Yes, pH will be lower, especially at night, when it naturally swings down. In this case the pH swing would be even more pronounced.

I know alk is very important for a reef.  I am just wondering why an alk of 6.5-7 would be killing fish, as stated earlier?  The only way I see that killing fish would be due to not enough gas exchange, and big pH swings.... or...?

Great information by the way, keep it coming...Smile
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 5:34pm
Nope your calcium and alk are fine. I keep my alk between 9 and 10 so your right in there. What were the reading this morning before dosing? You just don't want to bring the alk up too fast.

Edited by bfessler - February 12 2011 at 5:35pm
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Chevmaro Chevmaro wrote:

alk was low again this morning.  i put in some kent marine cb A, B and tested again this afternoon with the above results.  I think i put a bit much in because caclium and alkalinity are both hgih.  Are these too high?

I think you are fine.  A little high, but nothing to worry about.
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 5:38pm
I have a question to anyone using the Salifert alkilinity test kit.  The instructions do not mention the use of the Alkalinity check solution that is included in the kit.  Did I test it right?  What is this solution used for?  It says to use the KH solution which I did.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic