Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

my levels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my levels
    Posted: February 11 2011 at 10:43pm
Just took my levels on my 28g nano cube day before yesterday levels were all good. Tonight I took them and think they are to high but not sure

nitrite-0
nitrate-40-80
PH-8.2
ammonia-0.25

Im still learning but isnt that real high for nitrate? and ammonia?
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 10:55pm
Is this a new tank?  Any reading of Ammonia will kill fish.  
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 10:58pm
it is one I bought from someone on here. has two clown fish and two shrimp. and some anemones. two days ago it was fine there is alot of little bubbles it seems in the tank right now also
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 11:29pm
Put a bunch of macro algae in the tank and increase your light cycle asap. Your tank is going through a "cycle". That amonia will kill your fish,shrimp and anemone if it gets any higher. Even with 0.25 it is toxic to them. Also that is really high for nitrates and is toxic to them at level as well.

Just curious did you use the same sand?

Edited by wickedsnowman - February 11 2011 at 11:52pm
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 11:57pm
yes i used the same sand that was in there
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 12:00am
k just added a bunch of algea
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 12:11am
I been watching it and the wave makers every once in a while spit out a bunch of lil bubbles here is a pic not sure it will show up good

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 1:07am
The micro bubbles are unrelated to your water params. Sounds like the pump is sucking air for some reason. As far as the sand goes I am a firm believer in not using the same sand twice. Or at least rinsing it really good before use. Sometimes people get lucky and it doesn't cause pollution but i think its a huge gamble. The bacteria that lives in the sand or in other words the stuff that acts as your bio filtration dies when it is disturbed or comes in contact with air. The reason being the bacteria is in layers the stuff that lives at very bottom of the sand requires less oxygen then the stuff at top if that makes sense. When this bacteria dies it releases ammonia into the water which in turn kills more things which produce more ammonia. This is how a tank can crash and "cycle" can start. Putting macro algae in your tank will help it "cycle" faster. The algae feeds off the nitrogen compounds. There are other things you can do as well. Cause your tank is so small water changes would be very easy to do.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 1:17am
I would do like a 10g water change now. Then monitor your water levels and do more in a few days if necessary. 
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 1:18am
I dont have any RO water right now that i can get. Using tap water wont that make it worse?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 1:26am
Yeah I dont like using tap water. I would just pick up some salt water tomorrow and change it then. I dont want to scare you its not like your in immediate danger but its better to do the right things before you lose your new salty friends.
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 1:27am
ok yea i was worried if not they wouldnt make it through the night. they seem ok right now acting normal. first thing in morning I will get some and do that. thanx for all the help
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 7:20am
When you prepared to move this tank from Nicks house did you drop all the rock to the bottom leaving the sand undisturbed and leave enough water in the tank to cover the rock during transport and then refill and re-scape the rock? Did you leave all the other live animals in the tank too?

Here is what will get you past this crisis.
You got some more algae. That's good. That's the first step.
Now leave the lights on 24 hrs a day for the next few days.
If there is a light timer, in a few days having the lights off from 3AM till dawn is okay but right now what it needs is enough algae illuminated as long as possible so that it can eat the pollution caused by the move. In a pollution crisis like this, when the lights go off the pH drops like a lead balloon and stresses everything out.

Algae and light are very powerful this way and can eat up the pollution very quickly.

Most people plan for a "cycle" and expect "it" to come because they are just not aware of how to skip it. The "cycle" does not have to happen. We can plan around "it" to totally avoid "it".

There are many processes going on continuously in our tanks. In a move where some things may have been removed from the water and other things were disturbed, living organisms are going to die and all kinds of biological processes are going to be interrupted. The transport method above ensures minimal interruption and minimal death so that when the tank water is returned, the rock is rearranged and the pumps are turned back on, the tank can continue on as before sometimes without skipping a beat. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 7:29am
Water changes are a hassle. Yes they do reduce pollution, but only by a percentage. If you change 20% of the water, the ammonia level will be reduced from .25 to .20 That's not really enough to make much difference and the Ammonia is just going to rise quickly back up.

On the other hand, placed a good amount of Macroalgae into the tank and illuminating it all night and all day will bring the Ammonia down to safe levels and keep it there until the crisis has passed. Then after a week or two when the bacteria in the tank have grown to meet the need, the clump of algae can be removed.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic