Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pest? aiptasia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
clownfish11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clownfish11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pest? aiptasia
    Posted: February 13 2011 at 2:22pm
 these wispy brown plants were growing on a piece of rock I bought months back, they are now spreading in my tank I have like 20-30.  I went on line and it looks like aiptasia. Any ideas of products that work best to get rid of it? thanks, kim

Edited by clownfish11 - February 13 2011 at 2:53pm
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2011 at 3:41pm
Hi Kim,

There are several ways to rid your tank of Aptasia. Natural remedies would include Peppermint Shrimp, Aptasia eating nudibrancs, Copper Banded Butterfly fish and aptasia eating file fish. You can also get a product like Joes Juice or Aptasia X at the LFS or make your own paste with kalkwasser and apply it with a syringe to the Aptasia.

I really like using peppermint shrimp, if you keep them hungry they will eat up the aptasia in not time and then they will keep it from coming back. The nice thing about peppermint shrimp over the nudibrancs is that they will become part of your Clean up Crew where the nudis will die if there is no aptasia for them to eat.

Get rid of them as soon as you can before they take over the whole tank.

Edited by bfessler - February 13 2011 at 3:42pm
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2011 at 3:54pm
i just got rid of a whole buch yesterday i use aptasia x
It's not about what you know but about who you know

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clownfish11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2011 at 4:04pm
Thanks for the advise! If I use aptasia X will it hurt  my other plants or fish? I have 2 clownfish I love!
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2011 at 4:06pm
Nope it won't bother the fish.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clownfish11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2011 at 4:09pm
perfect! thank everyone!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic