Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cloudy water

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cloudy water
    Posted: February 14 2011 at 5:04pm
I came home from work today and my tank was cloudy, and a musty, maybe even dusty smell (as best as I can describe it) was in the house.  My skimmer has been collecting a light green, watery skimace.  When I went to clean out the collection cup I discovered that the smell was coming from the sump area, probably even the skimace.  I recently added about 4 lb. of LR from the LFS, and a ball of cheato to my sump, from another tank.  The last time I added LR to my display (for seeding) I didn't experience this, so I am concerned as to what is happening.  Is this normal?  Should I, or is there anything I should do? 
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 5:16pm
Did you move sand around at all?

My other thought is a possible bacteria bloom.

As long as you dont have any livestock then I wouldn't fret too much, your tank is still in the cycle it sounds like.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 5:18pm
That's what I would say is a bacterial bloom.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 3:52pm
Post a pic please.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 5:10pm
The water has cleared up and the smell isn't nearly as bad as yesterday.  I didn't think about getting a picture of the cloudiness.  
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 12:33pm
Because of the smell and cloudiness coming and going, I'd say this wasn't a bacterial bloom but rather a case of something inside the LR, a big worm or a boring clam, dieing and polluting the water. It could have been just barely hanging on and finally kicked the bucket or it could have had other dead stuff in its hole sealing it off from the main water. The "seal" released and all the decomposing crud went into the water column.
Can't be sure without looking at the LR, but this is my best guess. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic