Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Phosphates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
darwin0wal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darwin0wal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phosphates
    Posted: February 15 2011 at 4:31pm
Hi, I'm trying to get my coralline algae to start spreading more rapidly.  My tank is about 8 months old and was in good shape but I had some frustration with it because I had tests that were giving me false positives (on ammonia and nitrites) so I somewhat gave up on it for several months.  Now I am taking care of it again and I noticed I haven't had any new coralline algae growth since gaining interest again.  I was using an old canister filter to run water through phosphate absorber (rowa phos) but my canister filter finally died and the rowa phos is quite expensive.  I am wondering if phosphates are the likely culprit, and if so, what is a good, inexpensive way to handle high phosphates?  Thanks in advance for any help!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 4:51pm
It's very unlikely that PO4 is a problem. It's actually less of a problem than most hobbyists think.

So that we may give good advice, please tell us some things about the tank such as:
size
filtration
lighting
water flow
Alk, Ca and Mg levels
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 7:18pm
if you turn off your filtration and scrub the coraline algae  with something like a razor blade it will sprear faster
It's not about what you know but about who you know
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic