Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving a tank form eagle mtn to west jordan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 12:37pm
Some hobbyists asked if this procedure works for larger tanks too, so I updated the procedures with some added suggestions for larger tanks.

The rinsing of sand is completely dependent on the amount of crud in the sand. Any tank less than 1 year old can be moved while leaving the sand completely intact. For larger tanks the weight of the sand is very prohibitive so rinsing/removing it is usually easier.

Often, a move is an opportunity for me to add .5-1" of Utah Oolitic sand on the bottom. Oolitic sand on the bottom offers great benefits.

For trips longer than a few hours, it may be useful to move fish in a temporary mini-aquarium set up in a tub with all the live components, setup as much as a week in advance. A battery powered or 12V->110V power converter running an air bubbler for water circulation is easy.

Heaters are only needed if the mini-aquarium is going to be out in the cold. I recommend that all livestock, even LR and LS be transported inside the vehicle whenever possible.
FYI, colder water, above 65 degrees, is actually helpful in a move because colder water holds a lot more oxygen and because metabolism slows down, less waste(pee and poo) is produced. Smile Hope this all helps.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bik3rinblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2011 at 2:30pm
ClapClapClap
i am glad to report that the move went as well as it could have! we have the salt levels were the need to me for it to be safe to put my pistol shrimp back in the tank and the starfish, they are happy in there 20gallon home, but that is goin to be over here in a week or so! anyways! that is all i have to report, now to getting my rock, coral and fish in here , but fist i want to get all the rock in here so that it can get used to the tank and then go from there!

if anyone has a lion they want to offload and mabey a puffer, i do have a 20g goin that they can live in for a week before i move them into the main tank!

thx
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic