Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bubble Algae

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nrthface View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrthface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bubble Algae
    Posted: February 17 2011 at 4:47pm
I returned from a week long trip. The tank looks good except for a large amount of bubble algae. What is the best way to go about getting rid of it? There is too much to go bubble by bubble.
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2011 at 4:50pm
Manually remove it and then pop the ones that you can't get out.  The issue with popping them is that they send out spores, so you want to manually get out the ones you can.  Also when you pop them your algae grazers can then eat them.  I just used a pin to pop them.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Hammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2011 at 5:41pm
My emerald crab cleans them up nicely.
nrthface View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrthface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2011 at 8:23pm
I have too much to remove it bubble for bubble. I have two emerald crabs as well they are overwhelmed. Has anyone heard of raising the Magnesium level to 1700? I have acros, montis, etc in the tank and am worried about them.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 12:52pm
High Mg only works for one type of problem algae that I know of and Valonia is not it.

There are herbivorous fish that love Valonia but hand maintenance is the best way to clean it up quickly. How bad is it? I couldn't be that bad if it happened in a week, or was it a problem before that?

I make and use a special tool. I stick a pin or needle through the end of a long dowel and pop them whenever I see them. The herbivores in my tanks clean up the skins.
Do you have many herbivores in your tank?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
nrthface View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrthface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 7:18pm
I have a herbivore and need others any suggestions? It was a problem before but this week it has become particularly bad. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 7:33pm
a herbivore? What is it?
Actually I hope there are lots of herbivores in the tank. Amphipods, copepods, snails, hermits, and emerald crabs are all herbivores.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic