Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dodger boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodger boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: newbie
    Posted: February 17 2011 at 9:54pm
Few years back I had a salt water tank but lost the whole tank in a day, learned a lot since then. I have just got the live sand in the tank and its been running for about 3 days now.  The people at petco told me tap water was fine to put in my tank, I later found out RO is better, will my tap water be ok? (it is filtered) The protein skimmer is also running, where is a good place to get some rock from to put in the tank that I can pick up cheap.  Thanks for any advice!
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2011 at 9:58pm
 What do you mean by filter on your tap water? If you are going to use Tap water use a product like Seachem Prime to remove the chlorine, heavy metals etc. what happen to your old tank? RO is better if your Tap water is high on dissolved organics or nitrates. I would suggest getting an RO unit usually they go for 100 bucks at ebay. Utah rock is good and cheap. Mark peterson sell Utah rock if you are interested also Utah sand. Welcome to Utah ReefSmile
dodger boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodger boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2011 at 10:00pm
Can you give me a quick setup of a RO system on my tank, would I just use  a powerhead to pump water into it?

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 1:02pm
Welcome dodger boy/Rick
Sounds like you might enjoy visiting a few of us and find out how we do it. We may do it a bit differently but it works. You could learn a lot from a visit.
I'm in Murray and would be happy to have you visit, but there are many that live in and near Roy. You can start a new topic asking for people near you that would be willing to let you come see their setup and learn from them. We love to show off our tanks and make new friends. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 7:39pm
i live in rosepark utah by davis county you are welcome to come by and look at my tank, and welcome to the board
It's not about what you know but about who you know
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 8:07pm
I use tap water.... about 5 gals per day.  And you are welcome to come by anytime and ask all the questions you want.  It's great to have you here.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic