Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shriveling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supareef22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supareef22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shriveling
    Posted: February 18 2011 at 12:12pm
Hello all, Last night i won a toadstool leather frag at the led meeting featuring Jake Adams, Which was super informative and i always love meeting at the aquarium. but back to the leather, after i acclimated it and added it to my tank it was doing very well it actually expanded and had all its (fingers, toes, polyps,) i dont know what to call them, they were all out. now today when the light came on it began to shrivel, and its loosing color around the edge.... any ideas? water param are all where they are supposed to be i just checked everything on monday and it was good.
I moved it to a place with less flow and a little less exposure to the light an hour ago but haven't noticed any difference. I thought i might considering how fast it went to the ugly state it is in now.
Tank is a 75 gal reef with t5 lighting.
Thanks in advance, Mike
Window Well Covers Custom Built

Discount For Reef Friends
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 3:44pm
Toadstools like to do that. It will probably take a bit for it to get use to your tank.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 10:25am
Those small things that extend from the top surface of the Mushroom Leather are called polyps or sometimes tentacles.
I agree with Jackie, those coral can sometimes shrink in for a week.
When you say the edges are losing color this is a little concerning. Also, please give the actual numbers for Alk and Ca and what is the temperature and salinity of this tank?
Can you post a pic?

Are you coming to the WMAS meeting next month?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic