Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ICH/ ICK !!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
justinstank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ICH/ ICK !!!
    Posted: February 18 2011 at 5:17pm
i think my blue tang is getting ICH!!!  any suggestions?? alo how do i get rid of parasites and how do i know if i have them in the tank or on the fish?? :)

Thanks
justin williams
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 5:26pm
Well ick is easy to spot there is little white bumps on the fish. But its also easy to get rid of. Just soak his food in garlic oil for like 5 days it should go away. Blue hippos are notorious for getting ick. You might want to think about getting a uv sterilizer. My blue hippo would get like once a month until I started using one. I havent seen it on him since.

Edited by wickedsnowman - February 18 2011 at 5:27pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 5:31pm
thanks a lot, are there garlic suppliments or something i can put in the water or with the food?  also is the UV sterilizer like a light or something? how much are they and where can i find one?

thanks a ton! :)
justin williams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 5:39pm
Well as far as garlic goes yes you can put it in the tank. What your going to want to do is add a few drops to a cup of tank water then add the food and let it soak for like 10 minutes. Then dump it into,the tank. You can buy garlic oil at health food stores. As far as a uv yes,it,a light system that kills paracires that float in water. You can buy ones on ebay or higher quality ones on online fish stores.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 6:31pm
thanks a ton!! so the UV light wont harm the coral or fish?  sorry i am new to this lol

Thanks again
justin williams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 7:25pm
No the uv wont kill fish or corals. Its a little tube that houses a ultra violet bulb. You pump water through it from your tank or sump. The water passes the bulb killing the parasites and then is plumbed back into your tank. Parasite free... There is controversy that the bulb will kill micro organizms your corals eat but I think that is bs. If you feed your corals its most likely dead stuff anyway. So I dont really understand people that are against UV.
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 7:31pm
UV is great, not only to kill the parasite, but to make the fish healthier as well.  It is kind of like adding anti-oxidants to the water.

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 9:07pm
I suggest getting a cleaner shrimp as well. Not a 100% solution but they do a good job of keeping parasites off of fish, not to mention they are super cool!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 9:16pm
you can even feed small pieces of garlic tangs will eat it like candy
It's not about what you know but about who you know
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 9:12am
I would first start by using a drop or two of Garlic Oil per cube of frozen food, marinated in the oil without water and fed in small clumps slowly to the fish to be sure they eat it all.

If one type of GO seems ineffective within 2 days, get another brand of stinky GO. I have some I will give you for free but the usual bottle of stinky garlic in gel caps is only $5

If that does not seem to work, I would next borrow a UV Sterilizer from someone here or if you have a skimmer, consider hooking up an Ozone unit to the skimmer.

I agree that Cleaner shrimp are a good thing to have to help clean all large bodied fish.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic