Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LED'S

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED'S
    Posted: February 19 2011 at 5:38pm
Were is a good place to get LED'S? for a good price that is?
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 7:52pm
www.rapidled.com
They aren't cheap but they are some of the best LEDs made.
The company is also very good to work with and know alot about LEDs and fishtanks together,
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2011 at 8:42am
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but informative and helpful. Have you seen a tank lighted with LED's compared to all the colors that are reflected under fluorescent tubes?

I believe that LED lighting may be the future of reef lighting, but their use is still not completely worked out for our hobby. The reason for this is that too few colors are available. All they really have so far are blue and white. You see there is a lot of hype and lot's of people are thinking they should jump on the LED bandwagon, but it's all a little premature, IMO.

There is a comment heard these days that the hobbyists who have spent a lot of cash on expensive LED's are reluctant to admit that everything is not doing as well as when they had Fluorescent lights. LED's are not bad, it's just going to be a few more years before they have the best spectrum of light available.

You might be thinking, "Mark you're crazy. Wacko White light is a full spectrum."
FYI, actually all it takes for our eyes to see white is just enough of a few narrow bands of the visible spectrum. The stuff in our tank's, from algae to zoanthids, need different light than what our eyes can see.

In the last few years, fluorescent lighting has made big strides in this hobby. The URI brand VHO T12 fluorescent tubes with internal reflectors pretty much had it for years (See this site for all the beautiful colors using VHO fluorescent lighting http://www.garf.org) but were too long and fat and the company did not keep up with the need, until recently. The T5's have really brought reef aquarium lighting to where it should be. The URI company changed it's name to UVLighting and updated it's focus to come out with PC and T5 tubes with the amazing internal reflectors that are every bit as good, even somewhat better than T12 VHO lighting because their small size makes them completely versatile.

If I wanted to get the best light available to the hobby today, I'd use flourescent lighting with LED accents.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 12:59pm
Last night I helped Terence complete a set of LED fixtures and installed them over his 210. He used a combination of white, blue and royal blue and the blue and whites can be adjusted independently. He also used a combination of LED's with and without optics for both depth of penetration and color blending. You can say what you want about the color of LED's but this tank looks incredible. I believe the biggest issue with early LED fixtures is that the color isn't adjustable as the whites and blues couldn't be dimmed independently if they could be dimmed at all. On this tank all 3 LED colors can be independently controlled to fine tune the color of the tank for both growth and appearance so you're not stuck with one look. In fact the variations are virtually infinite.

There is no doubt in my mind that LED's can grow beautiful corals. I have seen accelerated growth under LED and while it may not be the perfect light for all corals SPS does particularly well. For those who still want more purple or additional color in the spectrum, LED with fluorescent supplementation may be just the ticket. In the case of Terences 210  this tank has bone from 3 250 watt MH with VHO supplementation to 150 watts of LED with arguably better color and the ability to adjust the look of the tank from very white to all blue with the tap of a button on the controller, no tube changes required to change the look of the tank. If anyone is interested in seeing the tank I am sure Terence would be happy to show off what he can do with his new LED's

I would say that the reverse of what Mark suggests is an even better option which is LED lighting with fluorescent supplementation. 

Edited by bfessler - February 21 2011 at 1:03pm
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 1:23pm
That sound impressive....  How much does it cost to do something like that?
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 2:19pm
Depends on how many LEDs.
The more LEDs the more drivers needed.
The more LEDs the more expencive.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 2:42pm

I am building a 24 LED Fixture and with the heat sinks, LED's Drivers and Dimmer Controls I am into it for about $275.00. The 210 has 3 x 36 LED Fixtures and I believe Terence is into that setup for about $1200.00. It sounds like a lot of money but when you factor in no bulb changes for conservatively 5 years and a reduction in power form 750 watts to 150 watts the LED fixtures quickly pay for themselves.

One other advantage of the DIY fixtures is that if a lamp does go out you can just replace it for about $6.00
Burt

[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 3:20pm

Are the LED's 3 watts each?

I may see if I can sell my ecoxotic Panorama LED Modules, and and try building a DIY LED.  I am already getting a T5 to supplement my current LED's.  I wonder if I could sell them for enough to make a 24 Watt DIY LED?  How much do you think I would need to build that small of one?  

Edited by Davidwillis - February 21 2011 at 3:21pm
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 3:54pm
I did a 27w setup for my picotope and it was $110
Yes, 3W Cree LEDs.
The chinese $3 ones are crap.
Pm me and I can help you set it up.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 6:32pm
Hi David,

Check out rapidled.com. They have complete DIY Retrofit kits and most all the supplies you will need at one place. If you're going to be setting them up for dimming be sure to check out the dimming accessories. I got the 2 channel dimming control for 0-10V dimming. With this and 2 meanwell dimming drivers you can dim both white and blue LED's separately without a controller. You should be able to get answers to most of your questions on the site but feel free to contact me if you have some specific issues.
Burt

[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 6:37pm
Thanks...  Smile
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 8:36pm
I agree w/ Burt and i can help you to.
Also Burt, the less volts you use the less power actually get to the LEDs.
10v is 95% and it decreases from there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 8:54pm
ok, so I was looking at it a little.  I see kits that are dimmable, but only have blue/white, or royal blue/white.

To get all the color, do you need blue, royal blue, and white?  And can they all three have separate dimmers using one driver?

I am thinking 3 of each would give 27 watt, which should be good for now.  That would mean I would need the LED's, a dimmable driver, 3 dimmers (are these just potentiometers?), 9 lenses, and a heat sink or two?  

I have not really looked at it yet.  It may be helpful though.

Edited by Davidwillis - February 21 2011 at 8:55pm
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 9:33pm
I will be posting a build thread with all of the details of my build in it soon.

The lights still need to be fine tuned (% mix between channels using Apex) but it is already looking incredible.

I put the two new fixtures - Beta36 - on a killawatt and at 70% power the two of them were pulling down 250W. That means that with three plus my VHO I am using about 600W total with the appearance of about 1000-1200W. 

The cost was about $1200 for everything. A really good 6' MH/T5 hybrid fixture with bulbs will cost you that and more. 

But, I caution...DIY is NOT for everyone. It is not rocket science but you DO need to be handy with mechanical engineering and working with wires and a soldering gun/iron and being able to understand circuits. 

That said, even retail fixtures are getting where they are about 20-30% more than MH/T5 and you can configure the LED any way you like by snapping them in (MaxSpect)

I don't need to convert anyone...I am a happy camper...Chad is a happy camper...many others are too...

Thanks Burt for the help.

Stay tuned for the build thread...just google Utah LED Terence Beta36 in few days.
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 10:08pm
No, 1 dimmable driver dimms 1 circuit, not 1 set of LEDs.
the 1 dimmer would dim all 9 LEDs.
Also, it's 2:1 mix of Royal blue to Cool white.
PM me and I can explain more faster.
Terence, would like to come see your LEDs sometime.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by thefu thefu wrote:

I will be posting a build thread with all of the details of my build in it soon.

The lights still need to be fine tuned (% mix between channels using Apex) but it is already looking incredible.

I put the two new fixtures - Beta36 - on a killawatt and at 70% power the two of them were pulling down 250W. That means that with three plus my VHO I am using about 600W total with the appearance of about 1000-1200W. 

The cost was about $1200 for everything. A really good 6' MH/T5 hybrid fixture with bulbs will cost you that and more. 

But, I caution...DIY is NOT for everyone. It is not rocket science but you DO need to be handy with mechanical engineering and working with wires and a soldering gun/iron and being able to understand circuits. 

That said, even retail fixtures are getting where they are about 20-30% more than MH/T5 and you can configure the LED any way you like by snapping them in (MaxSpect)

I don't need to convert anyone...I am a happy camper...Chad is a happy camper...many others are too...

Thanks Burt for the help.

Stay tuned for the build thread...just google Utah LED Terence Beta36 in few days.

I look forward to the build.  Post all the details... Thanks.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 5:41am
If you want to dim all 3 circuits separately you will need 3 drivers. On a 9 led build I would just go with 2 of the drivers and dim all the blues on one circuit and the whites on another.
Burt

[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 9:08am
Ok, I have a question.  What is so special about these drivers?  I mean why can't I just get a power supply (if I am running 4 LED's on it I would get a 12 volt so that each LED would get 3 volts).  Then I could just add a Potentiometer to reduce that to dimm it.  Obviously I would need to get a power supply that would handle the amps, so I am not sure it would be any cheaper, but I am just curious.
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 10:50am
If I were to look into a DIY LED setup I would go with the Thomas Research drivers that Nano Tuners is about to carry.

In talking with Evilc66 over on Nano Reef, he is glad to be done with Meanwell and Buck puck.

Thomas Research actually makes a lot of the LED drivers on the market and other companies just re-brand them.

Take a look at them IMO!
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 1:29am
You are right that there is a new driver around. It has not been proven though it looks promising. I chose to stick with Meanwells for my Beta36 project since my Alpha36 was using them and I needed to keep consistency for the dimming.

BTW, the build article is online now - just google LED Beta36 Terence
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic