Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anemone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anemone
    Posted: February 19 2011 at 10:15pm
Two of my anemone's are really really small they dont look right. my other two are lookin ok. my water perameters are good but my ammonia is lookin high again. between 00 and 0.25. This is the pic. the one on the right then there is one to its left that really dug into the rock crevise.then the one on the far left is doin ok also.

Edited by BnK - February 19 2011 at 10:15pm
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
Haley'sfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haley'sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 10:28pm
Anemone's are notorious for looking half dead one minute and happy as a clam the next so I wouldn't stress too much. That being said, when did you get them and what are your parameters?
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 10:38pm
yea they always trip me out. I got them 7 or 8th of this month.

ph-8.2
ammonia between 0-0.25
nitrite-0
nitrate-5.0
calcium-440
carbonate hardness-10 dkh

Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 11:09pm
Could be the NH4?
How long has the tank been running?
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 11:12pm
You should never see ammonia in a established reef tank. Your probably adding livestock to fast or something is dead you havent noticed like maybe a big snail. Patience is definately a virtue in this hobby. You need to get the ammonia to zero asap. I have a hard time thinking your nitrates are that high as well. Do you mean 0.50?
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 11:12pm
3-4 weeks 
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 11:13pm
yea .50

would one snail cause that much? should I use those tablets for ammonia?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 11:30pm
If it is like a big turbo snail and the tank hadnt been set up for very long yeah it could raise your ammonia. But I think its probably a combo of adding to fast or over feeding.
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 11:33pm
k yea i only have two turbo snails and they are both alive.

what about using ammonia lock or stresszyme?

Or should i just not feed them for couple days and let it run. everything in the tank seems ok besides the two anemones. fish are acting good and when i go to tank the fly up to top like they are hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 11:35pm
well you could do the tablets to neutralize the toxins or the algae in the display again with a increased light cycle. Also dont feed the fish for like 3 days dont wirry they will be fine. Fish can go awhile without eating. They always act hungry

Edited by wickedsnowman - February 19 2011 at 11:37pm
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 11:37pm
k yea i will leave lights on all night again. and not feed them I fed them couple times a day last few days cuz they acted like they were hungry lol. But was told they dont need fed that much unless im tryin to breed them. (clownfish). thanx for the help.
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 11:44pm
If it was me I would return the anemone and slowly add fish.
I read that a tank should be mature before adding an anemone
so at least 6 months.
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 11:58pm
they are all puffed up again and aint small. so think they are ok. just bein tempermental. 

Im just gonna not add things and leave lights on and not feed them.

Yes mark I know slow down.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 11:58pm
You welcome thats what the emergency forum is for. A tank doesnt need to be set 6 months for a anemone but they do like stable water params. I think you will be fine. Just do the right thing and it will plump back up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2011 at 12:08am
Originally posted by BnK BnK wrote:

Yes mark I know slow down.

Rofl well im not Mark but slower is better.
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2011 at 12:10am
lol I know, I just know when he gets on in the morning he will say that to me. I did slow down, but then my water perameters were doin good so got couple more pieces of coral. But no more for a few weeks to make sure it stays stable.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2011 at 8:49am
Thumbs UpYou're figuring it out. Clap
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic