Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 11:35pm
haha ya except that is my cousin he is my bestest friend in the whole wide world. we started off with to much flow so we bought a valve that we could turn to lower the flow. I am sorry to hear about your seahorse. It really is a sad thing. I decided that i am not going to give up but be to make sure every thing is good before i do. 
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 11:37pm
Well I'll share my experience with seahorses, I had 4 females and 2 males all doing really really good for 3-4 months, Then I decided I would switch the lighting to LEDs (This was on my red sea max) I had two hoods at the time so it wasn't like I took it off and left them with out light for a few days...   so basically I get my led hood all built up ready to go and swap it out, the next day 2 females died, one male got a gas bubble the next day 2 more females and the other male died, the one with a gas bubble lasted about a week longer, I had to flush his gas bubble maybe every other day or so with a bobby pin.... 

its just crazy to me how sensitive they really are, and a thing like light can stress them out so bad enough to kill them, even though everything else was exactly still the same.

Edited by Nick801 - February 21 2011 at 11:40pm
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 11:53pm
oh sorry lol didnt know you guys were cousins. But yea that is crazy nick that they are that fragile. think I will stick to more hardy things lol. 
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 12:00am
I got black seahorses that are tank raised. I was told that they were the easiest to keep. So maybe it's just my lights? I only have the led lights from marieland
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 1:13am
That is one amazing tank. How strong is the flow? have you seen any aggression from other type of fish specially the tangs, toward the sea horse? In my experience the longer the livestock have been in the store the higher the probability they can survive in our aquarium. Every fish that i bought that have been kept on the store less then 2 weeks i have a hard time with them.
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 8:44am
It's two tanks hocked up to one sump. Seahorses are slow eaters so you cant put them in tanks with others fish. Mark asked for a picture of the other tank because they are hock up together. That's why that picture is there
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 10:55am
Originally posted by BnK BnK wrote:

think I will stick to more hardy things lol. 
Thumbs Up for the sake of the earth, thank you.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

That wasnt a very nice thing to say. Im sure when you were starting out Mark you had things die cause you didnt know exactly how to keep them happy. This hobby is a never ending learning experience. Nobody starts with all the knowledge it takes to keep our salty friends alive.
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 11:20am
Originally posted by wickedsnowman wickedsnowman wrote:

That wasnt a very nice thing to say. Im sure when you were starting out Mark you had things die cause you didnt know exactly how to keep them happy. This hobby is a never ending learning experience. Nobody starts with all the knowledge it takes to keep our salty friends alive.

I have to agree.  I don't think that was necessary to say that. It's a learning experience and everyone does things differently and we all learn from our mistakes. 

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 6:22pm
What species are they? Also from what I have read they need to eat 3-4 times a day. And do best with no fish tank mates(you said there is a blenny in there right?). I am planning to get a pair and I do believe it is Pets N such that is ordering them for me(Pam talked to them) I am hoping to have better luck. The two places that I have heard that are best to get them from is seahorsesource.com and oceanrider.com which I think is saltwater.com it is just a lot more money seems you have to pay shipping and everything.

Edited by bstuver - February 22 2011 at 6:29pm
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 6:45pm
Also if you haven't already look here:
http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showforum=63

Your pic also looks like they are very thin be sure to check the link on the page I gave you about skinny/underweight
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 6:54pm
I know nothing about sea horses but maybe the white stuff is fungal infection or parasite?

Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 7:21pm
Thanks for all of your help and support. I would encourage all of you to someday get a seahorse tank if you really are devoted. I read pages and pages of webs sites about them. They really are amazing creatures. I am just going to be more prepared and ready before i take on any more seahorses.
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 7:41pm
Jackie and I (bstuver) are ordering a couple of seahorses so we can have a try at it. I know the ones we ordered at tank raised and I am hoping we can do well with them.
 As with anything I read a ton on it to make sure I am prepared. The seahorse.org site is AWESOME and is full of info. I think for right now I will just start with one and go from there. I want to dedicate a tank to them.
 How are your other two doing Ashley?
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 8:02pm
I would love to come and see your tank once you have it all set up and i am sure you are going to do great at keeping seahorses. Mine are okay there still eating and active i am trying to look on the positive side. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 11:21pm
I understand the fascination with Seahorses, but it saddens me to see new hobbyists undertaking the complicated care of such a difficult animal. I would put a couple years of reef experience behind me before trying Seahorses. My first Seahorse was retarded or something because it could not catch a bug right in front of it's mouth. I gave it away to my friend Suzy, the "Queen of Seahorses" in Utah. http://www.suzysreef.com
I would also check with another Seahorse enthusiast here, Tresa on this MB. She's a paid WMAS member and has a special knack with keeping unique reef organisms.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 11:30pm
Suzy is amazing! She is the one that got me started with my rotifers and helping me along the way. She just got new seahorses :). They are beautiful!
 Pam
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 12:11am

I understand the fascination with Seahorses, but it saddens me to see new hobbyists undertaking the complicated care of such a difficult animal. I would put a couple years of reef experience behind me before trying Seahorses. My first Seahorse was retarded or something because it could not catch a bug right in front of it's mouth. I gave it away to my friend Suzy, the "Queen of Seahorses" in Utah. http://www.suzysreef.comI would also check with another Seahorse enthusiast here, Tresa on this MB. She's a paid WMAS member and has a special knack with keeping unique reef organisms.

Well I do a lot of reading so even though I have been only keeping a reef for almost a year, I hate hearing people try to tell others that unless they have so much experience in something they shouldn't try it.
When I was keeping freshwater I wanted to try discus so bad but because of people saying "oh they are too hard" and "don't try them because you don't have X amount of experience" I was afraid to try them. Finally I bit the bullet and was very successful and even had mine breed.
Granted I may fail and I hate to fail but to tell me not to try is really annoying IMO. The seahorses are already brought in and will go to someone, why not someone like myself who is willing to do all they can to make them successful?
Jackie Stuver

jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 12:37am
I was thinking the same thing. Mark if your going to help out help us out. It is what the club is all about, right? We are all here to learn and get more experience. I have had a reef tank now for years.I have never did seahorse before but was told that I shouldn't have a problem keeping black seahorse. I give it a try and sadly it's not working out. 
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 1:13am

This makes it sound as if just because they are new in the hobby there are restrictions as to what they should try. I don't know of anybody in this hobby that goes out buying a fish/coral etc with the thought of killing it. I personally have had people who have been in the hobby many years tell me wrong advice.
  This gal had great intentions and unfortunately she lost two .. I commend her for trying and then having the courage to come here and ask if there was anything she could do to save it.

Many people told me I was rushing into things when I expressed interest in raising clownfish. I was told I didn't have " enough time in the hobby". I have been successful. If I didn't try I wouldn't know I could be successful. If a person has passion for something they can succeed.

As Jackie stated, they are going to continue to sell seahorses... why not sell them to people who have a passion and desire to be successful!

It's the way it's said I think.
 Just my two cents..Pam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic