Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help
    Posted: February 20 2011 at 7:20pm
My seahorses keep scratching there back and curling there tell sideways. i started out with four but one died it was acting very strange it would but its head agienst the side of the tank. it started to curl his tell backwards to the side and every thing. after a 2 days or so it stopped eating. then i would notice it would start to jult back and forth in a shaking motion like it was being shocked or looseing control of its body. The shaking would only last for a couple of seconds but happens often. Then a couple days later i woke up to find out it was dead. I started to cry it was very sadCry. i still have three left and am starting to worry. please help 
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2011 at 7:38pm
How long have you had them?  What are you feeding them?  And can you post a picture of the tank?

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2011 at 7:47pm
I got them on the first. i feed them frozen cyclopeeze  twice a day and live brine shrimp twice a week. The tank i have them in is the one i won from reef fest its the marineland 60g. This tank is hooked up to a 5o gallon sump that is a common sump for a 210g and the 60g seahorse tank. The flow is very low in the seahorse tank too. I also noticed they were more active and stayed at the top or middle of the tack.

Edited by Ashley - February 20 2011 at 7:51pm
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 8:40am
What else is in the tank with them.... fish, corals,etc?
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 9:28am
one watchman goby and some mushrooms. I did notice bristleworns in the tank too.
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 9:56am

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 10:14am
do you know how long the store had them?

what are your water parameters?
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 10:17am
The store had them for maybe two days. If AD is open today I'm going to have them check but last time I checked the parameters are good.
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 11:01am
oh no! my seahorses dorsal fin has white dots all over it and doesn't look regular he is also having a hard time grabbing on to stuff. i have been watching him for the last 5 min or so and he cant seem to grip on to anything no matter how hard he trys

I think they may have parasites it would explan to scratching itself and one of them ate something off itself. the one that died had crust over its eye it couldn't see. we did a fresh water dip to that one and the crust on its eye was gone. but it still ended up dieing the next day.

Edited by Ashley - February 21 2011 at 12:22pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 7:58pm
Since the tank is part of the larger system, we probably ought to see a pic of everything.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 8:19pm

BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 8:29pm
I got mine from AD also I though it was cuz my tank wasnt ready but mine did the same thing. was doin fine and then had like whit spots on it and just killed over. kinda wierd
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 10:26pm
ya that's what is happening to mine. Someone ones told me the only place to buy seahorses was seahorse.com because of this. I guess I should have listened. I had bought all my fish from AD and will continue. but just maybe i should try to buy my seahorses some where else but i will continue to buy fish and coral from there.  
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 10:29pm
Yea it was the first thing I bought there alive. But heard they were pretty good and had good prices. A few things seemed kinda high priced but I was really pricing fish and coral. Well hope you get healthier ones next time
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 10:31pm
I heard seahorsesource.com is the only place you should get them?
 Pam
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Ashley Ashley wrote:

Holey Smokes!! I didnt expect to see that. Nice tank your seahorse tank is part of!
Life is good....right?
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 10:45pm
Thanks(:  and next time I buy seahorses its going to from that website. sad news another seahorse died)); I cant stand to see them in pain or at least that's how they look. I feel like we took them out of their own habitat to keep them as pets and we just end up killing them when they would have been happy and fine in the ocean. life cruel huh
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 10:58pm
This is really making me second guess whether or not I want to start a seahorse tank. We were going to set one up this week :(. I hate seeing things die as well.. it is heartbreaking.
  How do the other two look?
 Pam
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 11:12pm
They have white stuff on them too. They are eating still. Josh says they will be fine but personally i am not to sure they will make it): all I can do is hope. I wish we would have bought one at first and seen how it did before we added the others. You should start one up if everything goes good then you will fall in love with them. Some of them will hold on to your finger or even eat out of your hand. They are very loving and that's why it is so sad to see them die. 
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 11:20pm
ohhh I think we went to your house i was checkin out your husbands tank. My wife fell in love with your seahorses that is why I got one for her valentins day present. Yea it sucks they seem real fragile. we just have to much current in my tank I think to try again. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic