Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why Can't I Keep...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Can't I Keep...
    Posted: February 23 2011 at 8:51pm

I have a 24 gal JBJ nano, all my parameters are good but for some reason I can't keep spiderman zoanthids.  I have had a frag of 5 heads in the past and they didn't make it.  I now have a frag of 10 heads and they are not looking too good.  I have had them for about a month.  All other corals are thriving but don't know why these won't.

tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 10:24pm
I have a similar problemEmbarrassed I keep my parameters rock steady and struggle to keep some zoas and palys but I can grow SPS like a weedLOL I am curious to hear what others say as well.

Edited by tcfab - February 23 2011 at 10:25pm
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
boysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 10:37pm
I honestly think they do better in dirtier tanks.  My friend has a 55g with hair algae all over and her zoas grow like crazy
Time waits on no one
Hammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 10:56pm
I have other zoas and they are doing awesome.  So whats the deal with the spidermans?
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 11:47pm
I have these zoas. They were not doing very good at first, I moved them farther away from the light and they seem to be doing better. I think they are growing now but I haven't had them very long so I'm not sure yet.
fish freak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fish freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 11:53pm
Dose your tank with some iodine/iodide. I have had this problem in the past until I started dosing with lugols solution. Some salt mixes dont provide enough so basic water changes wont keep up with what your corals need, especially in a heavily stocked tank.
120G reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2011 at 9:47am
I agree it's the individual coral in the individual tank. LR is not all the same. LS is not all the same. Algae growth is not all the same. Those components will create a different signature for each tank. Even RO water contains the trace characteristics of the source tap water. Some things do well in one tank and when moved to a different tank, may do better or worse.

Originally posted by boysty boysty wrote:

I honestly think they do better in dirtier tanks.  My friend has a 55g with hair algae all over and her zoas grow like crazy
Interesting comment. What makes a "dirty" tank. I would not be surprised to find that tank's algae growth creates pristine water conditions. Smile  But algae produces it's own blend of chemicals which can inhibit growth of some individual coral.

Whatever it is, all the other Zoanthids can handle it, but the conditions are just not right for Spiderman's liking. I also wonder, Do Spiderman Zoanthids come from a unique ocean environment?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2011 at 10:22am
I second the suggestion to dose some Iodide. I use AquaVitro Vibrance and it really helps the zoanthids, and palys and seems to bring out more color in the rest of the corals as well. I dose about 1/2 the recommended amount and use a SeaChem test kit as the Salifert Kit gives a false high reading after a few months of dosing.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2011 at 10:23am
I agree with the Iodide comment. I had problems with all zoas for a while. Then started to dose using Vibrance and now they grow extremely fast and look really good!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic