Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UGH... why

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UGH... why
    Posted: February 24 2011 at 6:47pm
Would my (blue) snowflake cloves be dying off? I got a nice rock full of them and they are dying off quickly. I have one in my tank and one in my daughter tank and they are both dying!! Everything else is doing just fine. I also have another rock that has some snowflake cloves on it and they are doing fine??? Any ideas?

Pam
Roosterfx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roosterfx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2011 at 8:01pm
I had a fairly large colony and it started to die off in a small area and within two days it spread like an infection and the whole colony died off. I have no idea why, everything else in the tank was doing great. The only thing I could think of was some of my Pom Pom laid over on it during the night and some how stung it. Not sure if thats even possible, I thought xienia was peaceful.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2011 at 8:12pm
I have had the same thing I had a couple rocks with tons on them and they just started to die. I now only have a couple small sections of them.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2011 at 9:08pm
The first occurrences of aquarium coral dieing en masse was first noticed about 15 years ago.
Smile Any guesses on what coral it was?

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 24 2011 at 9:32pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
boysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2011 at 9:12pm
SPS colonies?
Time waits on no one
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2011 at 9:37pm
Good guess, but Nope. Try again.

Most coral die when some water parameter has gone lower than needed or higher than safe, but this coral was dieing off in all kinds of different conditions and for a while it was thought to be a seasonal thing. Here's a clue. It was an article in an old Sea Star.

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 24 2011 at 9:38pm
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2011 at 10:43pm
Blue snowflake cloves?? LOL
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 8:02am
LOL
Try again.
There are lot's of good articles in the Sea Star Newsletters, like the one about the male <-> female relationships between Peppermint Shrimp and Anglerfish.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 11:20am
oh come on every one you should all know this! We all have a hard time with it! XENIA!
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 2:38pm
Our big tank we cannot keep it alive. In my daughters tank it goes crazy. Does it have anything to do with how clean the tank is? I have heard the dirtier the tank the better xenia does?
 Maybe my tank is too clean for the snowflake cloves?
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 2:48pm
I would have to argue the too clean part =)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 4:46pm
Yep, Xenia. Clap
Even though Xenia is not an Anthellia Species like the Snowflake, they are both sensitive to some conditions we don't fully understand. If anyone is interested here is the article "Lessons of Xenia" http://www.utahreefs.com/SeaStar/wmasSeaStarJn00.pdf
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 4:49pm
Do I win something mark ;)
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 4:57pm
You know this is really interesting because the guy we got this from said he had noticed at times it would just die off for not apparent reason and then come back. Very interesting. Thanks for the info/
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by ptronsp ptronsp wrote:

Our big tank we cannot keep it alive. In my daughters tank it goes crazy. Does it have anything to do with how clean the tank is? I have heard the dirtier the tank the better xenia does? Maybe my tank is too clean for the snowflake cloves?

My Xenia grows awesome in my tank. My tanks water is clean enough to wash your dishes on! I seriously have zero trates and phosphates (carbon dose). And it does better then awesome. It's a freaking weed!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 5:02pm
Very interesting Jwoo.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 10:14pm
Jeremy, how about a frag of Blue Snowflake Anthellia or a frag of Pom Pom Xenia.
The Xenia is from Justins tank. LOL
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 12:14am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Jeremy, how about a frag of Blue Snowflake Anthellia or a frag of Pom Pom Xenia.The Xenia is from Justins tank. LOL

Hahaha. He originally gave me the Anthellia I gave you! How are all those frags doing anyway Mark? My Xenia is looking like it's needing trimming again in another 2-3 weeks. Hope it's doing well for you!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 8:58am
LOL
It's all doing great. Several pieces have attached. A couple pieces melted as expected. The pieces that are still stubbornly refusing to attach I leave in the center rubble zone where they don't get blown away. They will attach eventually.

Thanks, I would like more. Smile
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 1:21pm
oh oh oh i gave justing the pink anthella.. Ill take some BLUE!

and justin I need to get some xenia from you when its ready!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic