Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 gallon mangrove tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 gallon mangrove tank
    Posted: February 25 2011 at 11:38am
Well I have been thinking about a low maintenance tank for my office.  I have a south facing window and wanted to get a little tank setup that would not cost much and require minimal equipment and maintenance.  Adam's recent comments about mangroves has me thinking about doing that.  What I would do is take my old 10 gallon tank that I currently have no plans for and add in about 4" of sand seeded with LS from my tank, some macro algae, 4-6 mangroves, a few damsels or chromis, and a small pump for circulation.  Would I need anything else?  I don't plan on running a heater or lights since it will be getting sunlight from the window and should stay around 74 since the office has a constant temp.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 11:52am
Don't you hate it when you type a long reply.... and then get disconnected.

Okay 
1) AWESOME!
2) I would highly consider adding an external light.  They like light, and warmth and I'd really think about not using only sun light.
3) Having that 4 inches of sand is a great idea and somewhat necessary.
4) The size of them to begin with is something of importance.  If you get them with roots I'd like you to try some root dip.  I'll even buy it for you.  

I'm actually writing an article today on mangroves so you caught me at a really good time when I'm thinking about them.  I'm going through photos and I'll send you some this weekend of my mangrove tanks.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 12:35pm
Sweet!  I appreciate the feed back.  I would be game to try the root dip and such, also I will need to locate some mangroves too, so if you could help out with that it would be great.  The only issue with the lighting is finding a light fixture that I can use that will be above the tank.  I'll have to look around for one or if someone has one that would work.  Probably something like a desk lamp.  What lighting should I use since it is only for the mangroves?

Also is there any kind of supplemental feeding that I would want to use for them?  Iron, manganese?

Also is a small pump all I need or should I get a bio wheel?  My thought on not getting a bio wheel was that the algae and mangroves would be sufficient and I just need to move the water around to keep it oxygenated.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 12:44pm
I think your plan is great. A couple small pieces of LR wouldn't hurt. Try to get a type of macro that doesn't grow too fast. Stay away from grape caulerpa. There are plenty of other types of caulerpa that don't grow so fast. If you add any filter, I would see it as a place to add carbon, and that is about it. I think a south facing window would be good enough for lighting, but mangroves will use any additional that you add, they love light. A small desk lamp might be perfect.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 1:07pm
Some people add iron and plant fertilizers.  I like adding them directly to the substrate and not to the water column.  I'll get you some photo of lights I've used (currently using a large floor lamp).

Adam
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 2:28pm
Adam, are you going to post your article here and pics? I would be really interested. I have one mangrove now and was thinking of adding a few to my Seahorse tank? What do you think? Where is the best place to buy them?
 Pam
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 3:01pm
Pam- will be posted online next week (I think).  Need editors to review it. 
I love mangroves, and I highly recommend a couple of the sellers on ebay.  Great place for mangroves.

Adam
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 4:38pm
The same clip-on cone reflector and twist PC daylight color lamps we use for Refugiums, will work perfectly.

I'd mix in a cup or two of garden dirt with the 4" of Aragonite sand. This will be plenty of minerals for the mangroves. The "Eco Rreef miracle mud" is just garden dirt. Mangroves grow great in mud.

Biowheels should never be used because they produce more nitrates than can usually be handled by a sand bed. I'd use a small powerhead or an airstone bubbler. Either one will work.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 4:44pm
WHAT? seriously add dirt to the tank??
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 6:01pm
Adam, post some pics of your magroves
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 9:50pm
Okay okay, I'll try to get them up tomorrow while the kids take a nap.

Adam
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 9:54pm
do you have to have the roots in the sand or mud?
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 10:04pm
Either sand or mud or both.

This is Miracle Mud. Though it is mostly silica sand, it is the major component of the Eco Reef system. The dirt is meant to provide Iron and other essential minerals for a Refugium full of Macroalgae. it's not necessary though, because I've grown lots of Mangroves in Refugiums of just our normal Aragonite Live Sand

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 25 2011 at 10:08pm
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 11:11pm
These are mine near three years old. I'm thinking about setting up a tank to give the roots more room. They are in aragonite sand.

Edited by MadReefer - February 25 2011 at 11:12pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 11:42pm
Those are awesome.Thumbs Up Did Adam know about those for his article?
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 12:55am
Those are awesome!! Madreefer do you sell them?? I would like to get my hands on a couple of them?
 Pam
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 8:39am
Mark- yes, been to MadReefer's and seen his mangroves as well.  Pretty darn cool!

Lewy- you don't need to plant them in substrate.... at least not for a very long time.  The roots will grow in the water and the plan will grow for a long time.  At some point (after a couple years) the roots need to reach the bottom and anchor the plant into the substrate.  But to start with it is very common to have the plants floating on top of the water, held vertical.

Adam
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 7:39pm
Adam, Thanks. I've got mine right now just sitting on top of my rock and sticking out of the top of the tank. I think it's actually anchored itself a bit to the rock.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Pinner Reef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinner Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2011 at 3:13pm

We have a half dozen mangrove pods at Fish 4 U... They're in the brackish vivarium so they're 6" to 1' tall but I can't remember how much they're going for.

-pinner
In SLC Near Downtown
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 1:14pm
Well, I just got the go ahead from the HR department, so now to make the plans real.  Adam, you mentioned adding fertilizer directly to the sand, how and what do you add?  Also what are the eBay retailers you like?  I wanted to shop around a little to see what I can find, and I might just use Fish4U or someone on the board to just keep'n it local.  Adam, also I am willing to do the root dip thing, just let me know.  Also I could use some sand if someone has a half bucket full of it and some live rock to add some variety to it.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic