Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

r/o

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: r/o
    Posted: February 28 2011 at 12:44am
Will this work fine for a R/O system?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zero-0-ppm-Reef-6st-Reverse-Osmosis-RO-DI-Water-Filters-/110614330211?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item19c120bb63
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 7:49am
It looks like a pretty good unit. I haven't had any experience with this unit specifically but it should do the job.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 8:44am
That's a lot more than you need. Are you planning to do an ATO (automatic top-off?) for the tank or to use it in the kitchen with a drinking water kit? If not you won't need the shutoff valve.
You won't need the Carbon or the DI modules (the top two pieces). They expire quickly and are expensive to replace, besides being unnecessary.

Just within the last month someone here found a good RO units for ~$50. If you can't find that thread, let me know and I'll find it for you.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 11:24am
no i just want one for fish since i have a filter system on my fridge we use for drinkin at what not.
I seen a thread and searched but couldnt find it now lol
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 4:04pm
^
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 10:29pm
I have the same exact unit (just a few years older model)

Will work great as long as your tap water TDS is under 300 ppm

You should have your TDS checked first before buying

Also, check out their website - purewaterclub.com - as you might find a better price there
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 10:34pm
ok how do you check your ppm? i will check out the website
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 10:44pm
most LFS can test it for you
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 11:01pm
k why do i need to do this? what is tds?

Just tryin to learn about all this stuff lol
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 11:23pm
TDS means total dissolved solids. It pretty much is a measure of the purity of your water. More TDS= more bad stuff in the water. The reason he suggested getting it tested before you buy a unit is he is saying if your TDS is above 300 this unit might not work for you.
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 11:26pm
ohhh ok so does that kind of determine what stage r/o filter you would need like if your water is good you only need like a 2 stage or so and if it is worse you need a 5 stage?
dodger boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodger boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 11:36pm
Aquarium Masters in Ogden on 12th street sells RO water for .50 a gallon or .75 for ro saltwater, not sure if thats a good deal or not but I have been thinking of going that route for my water changes
Rick Davis
55 gal
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 12:21am
Originally posted by BnK BnK wrote:

ohhh ok so does that kind of determine what stage r/o filter you would need like if your water is good you only need like a 2 stage or so and if it is worse you need a 5 stage?

No, Most RO units have 2 or 3 prefilters, a membrane, then a carbon post filter, and  some have a DI unit as well.  For your aquarium water you could get away with just a 3-4 stage (2-3 filterers, and an RO membrane).  If your water pressure is good (over 60psi) then the RO unit should do just fine even if your TDS (total dissolved solids) are high.  Mine are over 700, and my RO unit takes it down to just 5-10 (but I boost my pressure to 90 psi).  The higher the pressure the better your RO unit will work.  
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 12:43am
dodger yea I though of that but it is a hassle specially when i get this other tank. i think r/o would just be more convientient for me

how do you find out your water pressure?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 7:21am
A 3 stage RO unit is a sediment filter, an AC(activated carbon) filter and the RO Membrane. All additional stages are unnecessary. More is not better.

Water pressure of 50 psi or above is usually sufficient for an RO Unit to do it's job.
The city can tell you what their typical pressure is and you would need to look and see if there is a pressure reducing valve in your incoming water line. It's usually located near the water shutoff where the water comes into the house. If this is an apartment, ask the landlord/maintenance.

Any basic 3 stage RO unit, as described above, can remove enough impurities from the water to make it suitable for our aquariums. Even though the incoming impurities may be 600 ppm on a TDS meter, if there is good water pressure, the purified water coming out of an RO Unit can be 50 ppm and that is totally acceptable. Typically the 3 stage RO unit will deliver water with a TDS of 5-30 ppm and that's great pure water at the best price.

Impurities will also be filtered out in the tank. One of the great things about algae is it's amazing ability to filter the water. Algae can eat up and actually grows better with these impurities. When you realize that some pretty nice looking tanks are using tapwater, it should help you see my point. (a million cool algae eating bugs and plenty of snails eat algae - the circle of life Smile)

The biological filtration, the circle of life, can cope with all kinds of things. Give it time to grow and let it do it's job.

BTW, Walmart sells RO water for 30 cents/gallon, Sunflower and Good Earth sell it for 25 cents.

Smile Hope this helps.
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 12:00am
so would something like this work? there is a bunch of portable ones and not sure what stage this is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PORTABLE-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-WATER-FILTER-SYSTEM-100-GPD-/130474748446?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item1e60e6aa1e
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 8:16am
Yes it is an RO unit with a standard looking Membrane housing so that means it probably uses a standard membrane, but consider the replacement costs of those sealed filter cartridges. They are probably $15-25 each. If it were me I'd pay a little more to get the standard housings where the standard filter cartridges can be found at HD or Lowes for $5-10.
This is the standard. http://www.premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/PR-RO50.html?fe_feedid=126 You can probably find these for less if you are patient and keep looking. The $50 unit that I saw someone found was an individual selling one that was probably used and would soon need a new filters and Membrane. Membranes are about $45.

Are you coming to the fun meeting tonight?
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 9:26am
yes it is my wife and my anniversary date ;)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 9:56am
Happy anniversary birthday. Clap
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 12:56am
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Stage-Water-Filter-Carbon-Sediment-Reverse-osmosis-/360202848726?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item53ddc349d6

k I found this one but it dont have the big container with it. Do I need that or can I just have it go into a garbage can? And will I need anything else with it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic