Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tank temp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tank temp
    Posted: March 05 2011 at 8:26pm
my tank is usually around 78-79 degrees right now it is 81 I have changed nothing. what is the highest it should get and how do I keep it from gettin higher.
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2011 at 9:23pm

Tis the season to start watching tank temps without a Chiller.

Heater to warm it up.
Chiller to cool it down.
I knew a Guy who's Reef tank seen 88 degrees and  not lose any livestock.
How long had your lights been on.Using Halides?
Lights are largely responible for temp increases.

It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2011 at 9:35pm
no just dual t-5's
bout 6 hrs

Edited by BnK - March 05 2011 at 9:58pm
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2011 at 9:55pm
I have a Red Sea so it is all inclosed. I've read that a lot of people use fans on an open top. I bought a chiller a couple months ago and my heater is set at 70. I have no concern about the lower temp just because of where my tank is located. However, my chiller is probably one of the best investments I think I've made. Running right now 77 deg. period. You'll find summer can be a battle on tank temp. Just watch how many cyano outbreaks happen around July-August time frame. I think it has a lot to do with temp, however I could be wrong.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2011 at 10:36pm
The warmer weather warms up the inside of the house which means that the tank warms up too.
Turn down the teperature on the heater to 75 or lower, or even better, unplug it. We don't really need to use heaters, especially from April to September.

Reef aquariums, just like the ocean, need to be open to the atmosphere. If the tank has a closed hood, crack it open just an inch or place a small fan in the hood blowing air down on the water with a way for humid air to blow out.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2011 at 10:59pm
yea i never close my hood im actaully gonna be takin it off when i can transfer my stuff to my other tank. and my heaters are on like 76 but I will just put the one in the sump on low 70's and turn other one in my main tank off.  
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2011 at 11:18pm
I actually ran one of my tanks for 2 years with no heater. There is a temp swing, but I really don't get the use of a heater if your tank never drops below....say 73 deg. So why would you have 2 heaters? What am I missing?
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2011 at 11:31pm
I have two 150 w heaters one in my tank in the over flow and one in my sump. Was told that way if one went out I had the other. I guess when they go out sometimes they stay on high. so with them bein little they dont fry my fish. 
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 12:05am
So what if both your heaters went out?????? What would your house hold the temp at? If you lose power, lights are going to be of more concern. This is a nonforgiving hobby! Are hobbists trying to keep a temp between 2 and 4 deg variance? The only reason I have my heater set to 70 is.....I can't even give myself a reasonable answer.
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 12:21am
well the odds of one goin out is less than both goin out at the same time.is possible though.my house temp in the winter is usually never below 75 and summer never above 80. think reason it got hot today is heater was turned to 83 damn kids lol. but yea there are alot of scenerios.
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 12:29am
I set my house temp at 67 during winter and my tank never falls below 73 deg. Maybe your fighting something that doesn't really matter?
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 12:37am
Stability in a reef is always a good thing. I have always had two heaters, one running normally at 75.5, and the other set to come on at 72 in case for some reason one stops working. I do have a chiller that is also set up to run on my controller, as well as alarms and protocols to prevent over heating. I have 2 fans that will turn on should the chiller fail, and if the temp continues to rise the lights will turn off. Stability=Success IMO, so I have backups for pretty much everything, and my temp never varies by more than 1 degree (75-76). I think it's especially important when you start keeping more sensitive/expensive livestock if for no other reason than to protect your investment.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 12:40am
Originally posted by CapnMorgan CapnMorgan wrote:

, and my temp never varies by more than 1 degree (75-76)..
That's good info, thanks 

Edited by jmw - March 06 2011 at 12:43am
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 12:46am
Another thing I've ran into is that most heater thermostats are not very accurate usually +/- 5 degrees. I would recommend that everyone have a controller, if for nothing else than to control your heater. You can get the Reef Keeper Lite, with temp probe, bus cables, and a power bar (enough outlets to automate 2 light plugs, a heater, and a fan) for only $99. It will be money well spent for peace of mind.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 12:48am
I came home tonight to see my rsm was at 74 and it always stays normally 78.. I freaked but I guess in reality I am ok?? I guess the button was accidentally turned off Confused

The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 12:52am
Originally posted by ptronsp ptronsp wrote:

I came home tonight to see my rsm was at 74 and it always stays normally 78.. I freaked but I guess in reality I am ok?? I guess the button was accidentally turned off Confused

You're ok at 74. It's only when your temp starts to drop below 72 that you really need to worry about losing anything, and even then it has to stay there for a few hours. That's why I have my backup heater. IME heaters fail more than any other piece of equipment I've ever owned, so I don't trust them anymore.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 12:56am
Thanks Steve, that makes me feel better :)
 Pam
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 1:02am
Anytime Smile
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 1:35am
I don't disagree but actually the temp can get down to 65 and most everything will be okay. The reason for this is that with low temp comes much higher dissolved Oxygen and lower CO2. It's like putting an Oxygen mask on a stressed person.

Steve, what kinds of heaters have you had bad experience with?

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 06 2011 at 1:37am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 6:18am
Well I've had 2 marineland stealth heaters (300w) fry themselves on my small tank, along with a Hydor Theo (400w) and a Rena Smart heater (300w) on the big one. Ever since the last incident on my 180 (a year in April) I've been running a pair of 500w titanium heaters from Via Aqua. One heating the tank and one as a backup, they've been great thus far but as you can see I don't have the best of luck with heaters. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic