Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some good reading

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some good reading
    Posted: March 06 2011 at 5:46pm
I spend two hours reading this last night. This guy Ryan started building this tank about 2 and half years ago. He will have Catalina delivering 1200 gallons of water in two days.

540g in wall tank
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 5:54pm
That tank is bad a$$, I got to stop lookin at this stuff lol. ideasLamp
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
ejcatmul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejcatmul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 9:39am
I have been following this thread as well. If only

"Noob"

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 11:43am
wonder how much he invested on this setup
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 12:30pm
Well I would say more than what I ever would spend on a hobby, although it would be cool.  It is a really nice tank.  I just don't quite understand the purpose of the drains being at the bottom with only a 6" strainer.  It seems like he might drain the entire tank at once and not know it.  However, I guess if the sump is at the same level as the main tank then there is little worry of that.  Just odd.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Piscavore1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piscavore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 8:49pm
I believe that skimmer has more water volume than my tank!
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by WhiteReef WhiteReef wrote:

Well I would say more than what I ever would spend on a hobby, although it would be cool.  It is a really nice tank.  I just don't quite understand the purpose of the drains being at the bottom with only a 6" strainer.  It seems like he might drain the entire tank at once and not know it.  However, I guess if the sump is at the same level as the main tank then there is little worry of that.  Just odd.

The strainers are for the closed loop so the water never goes to the sump, the overflow is on one end in an external box.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 9:35pm
I'ld buy scuba gear!!!!
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by SGH360 SGH360 wrote:

wonder how much he invested on this setup

He said his budget was $20k. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 10:22pm
I would think after reading this he's way over budget
FlooringGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlooringGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 11:54pm
20K??? I bet he is atleast 30K.
Call me for Carpet, Tile, or Hardwood. (801) 263-9600
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2011 at 1:04am
I have to admit something very close to that is in my plans for the future
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2011 at 9:39am
This really is an amazing thing happening! I love how well thought out it is and how he hasn't rushed anything!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2011 at 10:36am
Yes, it was thought out and no thanks to the neighbor it took even longer and $1500 down the hole
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2011 at 10:58am
DANG neighbors having nothing better to do then piss other people! Off Im glad the neighbor finally dropped it though.
philhender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2011 at 11:04am
I need to buy some lottery tickets... maybe we need a WMAS pool... ;)
I asked the Lord for the blessing of Patience... he gave me 6 kids!

125g Reef / 55g Sump-Fuge
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2011 at 12:18pm
after reading the whole thread, i saw that he is using solar power to light up the tank? is that even possible to provide enough PAR compare to those high end fixtures? he should have spend those 3G on two 80 in 12 bulbs ATI fixtures

Edited by SGH360 - March 08 2011 at 12:18pm
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2011 at 7:20pm
Yes you can get as much PAR from the sun, but if you'll notice, to install the solar tubes was $4000, and your tank is then immovable. Artificial lighting is much more flexible and non-permanent. If you never plan on moving a tank then solar tubes are the way to go IMO
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2011 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by SGH360 SGH360 wrote:

after reading the whole thread, i saw that he is using solar power to light up the tank? is that even possible to provide enough PAR compare to those high end fixtures? he should have spend those 3G on two 80 in 12 bulbs ATI fixtures

I remember following a thread where a guy installed Solar tubes. He had PAR readings from every hour, on the hour for like 16 hours. Also had pictures for the whole thing.

I think at midday he was hitting something like 2,000 PAR in the water! I have seen some tightly focused LED's hit over 2,000 PAR right by the bulb but not in the water.

The guy had to install some filters to help block some light.

I would use Solar tubes in a heartbeat to light my tank if I could. Like Steve said though, the tank would be a permanent fixture in my house. Using the sun is a great way to go IMO if you have a large enough tank for it. I would just add in some blue bulbs whether it be LED or T5 to help counteract the sun.
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 4:20am
You hit the nail on the head there Ryan. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic