Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worm in my tank!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gbarker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbarker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worm in my tank!
    Posted: March 09 2011 at 2:26am
It looks like an earth worm, i was looking in the invertebrates section and it seems like its a Medusa worm. are those ok? do i need to get it out of there asap? Please let me know asap. Thanks.

Garrett
[53] xGarrettxEdurancex
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 4:14am
They are beneficial but can poison your tank if/when they die. If you don't want to deal with that  I would probably remove it.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 8:58am
Hold on, which tank is it in?
Is it a Bristleworm?
I cannot see any worm being a problem in either tank. I don't believe there is a Medussa worm in either tank and if there was, I'd consider myself lucky to have it. Don't be frightened by the rare bad story.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 10:12pm
It's not that rare... It happened to me, as well as a few other people I know.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Hold on, which tank is it in?Is it a Bristleworm?I cannot see any worm being a problem in either tank. I don't believe there is a Medussa worm in either tank and if there was, I'd consider myself lucky to have it. Don't be frightened by the rare bad story.

Any worm? Are you serious? Did you see the pictures of what I had?

There are some scary worms out there, believe me!

Anything that could play russian roulette with my tank will not be in my tank.
gbarker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbarker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 12:03am
all i'm saying is, if i find a freaking bobbit worm in my tank their all out of here! I wasnt able to see the front or back end of the worm it was just the middle and it looked just like an earth worm. i dont really have the guts to dig it out of the rock cause if its a bobbit worm i'm gonna freak out haha.
[53] xGarrettxEdurancex
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 12:38am
how big was it?  could it have been a peanut worm (google it for some quick images)?  Peanut worms are good for the tank.

Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 7:47am
Sorry to be an alarmist, and it's probably nothing to worry about. If you identify it and it's toxic when dead, then get it out.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 12:37pm
These pests are real but not an emergency.
I've been helping Garrett set up a reef tank. His first is not a reef. He was at my place last night with some friends. I'd bet it was a good worm that he saw.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic