Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm new, so heres my story

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dancekp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dancekp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm new, so heres my story
    Posted: March 14 2011 at 2:02pm
Well, I've been involved in the reef keeping game for about 2 weeks now and I'm lovin it.  I just love my rock tank ha ha. (there are no actual fish in my tank yet, ha ha, not quite cycled).

It's funny how I got into it actually.  I have never thought about keeping fish till recently.  I'm going back to school in Computer Animation (in my 30's, which feels kinda weird) and I'm a big video gamer.  To make the long story short,  my gaming (I guess you could call it an addiction) was killing my school work so I sold out of all my game equipment (xbox 360, games etc)  and improve my efforts in school.

Well there's the old saying that if I rid myself of one addiction, there will be a void that must be filled so I was at the pet store one day getting a new kennel for our dog and stopped by the fish section and was simply amazed.  I new I had a friend (Dave Willis, who some of you may know) who was keeping saltwater fish so I talked to him a bit and I was hooked.  I spent all the money I got from selling out of the video games and got into keeping saltwater.

So all that energy that was spent in gaming, is now turned into keeping reefs and believe me, it's a LOT of energy.  I can't believe how much research I have done in the last month.  

Well its worked,  it's a great hobby and it's not interfering with my school work yet it's fulfilling all at the same time.  I think i'm hooked for life.

I look foreward to being a part of WMAS, went down to visit with Mark Peterson with my Buddy Dave Willis and he hooked me up with some Utah Rock, Sand, Some LS, LR, and Cheato and my 40 Gall breeder tank has been up and running for 2 solid weeks and looking good so far.  I recently installed a DIY 30 Gal Sump/Refugium and it's working great so needless to say, I think I'm doin well so far.

Just here to soak in all the knowledge I can and glad to be a part of the new addiction,  ha ha.

Almost forgot,  I live up here in Idaho Falls, ID so of course, us Idahoans should keep in touch.  I know theres probably a few of us here on WMAS.

acromacromontipora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acromacromontipora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2011 at 6:22pm
welcome Big smile
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2011 at 8:43pm
Welcome! You will learn a lot here.

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2011 at 8:49pm
Welcome Kent! 

What part of Idaho Falls are you in? My daughter is up there, lives near Bonniville High School, in fact I am headed up there this weekend. I've met a few Idaho Reefers, Dustin and Marty, great guys. Are you still in Idaho or down here going to school?

Be careful this addiction can become just as all encompassing as video gaming. Just ask my wife.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2011 at 9:59pm
Glad to have you here!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
dancekp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dancekp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2011 at 11:39pm
Thanks for the welcomes.

Burt:  I still currently live in Idaho Falls,  on the east side (Ammon).  Not quite in the Bonneville school district area but pretty close.  I've read quite a few of your posts and also yours, Adam and without knowing it, you guys have helped me out quite a bit so far so thanks.  

And yes, I think I will continue to learn a lot here and I hope to make it down to some of the events soon.

Kent

Edited by dancekp - March 14 2011 at 11:41pm
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 12:26am
Welcome. I was kinda in same boat with the video games I would play black ops daily all day Then just kinda got a itch and bought a tank. next thing I know I have played maybe 30 minutes of game time in last 2 months. I am loving this hobby also. My bank account aint so sure though lol. i used to think games were expensive lol. But at least this works our brain in a good way and learning about life in the process and meeting good people.

Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
badger126 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 12:41am
Hey Kent I'm up here in IF too - I don't think I've met you yet, I could be wrong though. There's a good group of reefers up here. My name is Brock and my phone # is 2082218221. Gimme a call sometime and we can talk. I'd love to see your tank and even get you some starter corals etc.
dancekp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dancekp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 11:41am
Brett:  That's funny how you played Black Ops,  that was the game I was hooked on for a few months and the Game that made me decide to drop gaming all together for a while, ha ha. Which is ironic because I'm going to be designing games for a living soon.  ha ha. 

Because I'm a beginner at all this, I was thinkin when I was getting into it that I should be ok with just spending the money I made off the XBOX but I was very mistaken.  About $500 later,  I'm like what have I done?  ha ha.  Oh well, it's worth it so far (not sure my wife thinks so). 

Brock:  Sent you a PM with my number.  I just realized that we have talked before.  I was the guy trying to trade my XBOX on craigslist and you called on it but I sold it already, ha ha.  Small world.  Good to hear from you again.  We should meet up sometime, you can see if I'm on track with my tank.  

EvanB756 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvanB756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 1:16pm
Welcome! Hope to see you at some meetings if you make it down here. Now you just have to convince your wife she loves it as much as you do. My girlfriend got hooked after we went and saw a few members with seahorses, although now she wants to me trade in my reef for a seahorse tank... so watch out for that one ha.

Also if I recall correctly there is an idaho reef club as well. IMAS maybe? might wanna check them out as well in case you have some questions that can't be answered over the net. Smile

Welcome to the addiction.

90gal display w/ 30gal sump.
badger126 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 2:04pm
Idahoreefs.org. the forum isn't nearly as active as this one though. Most people are up in boise which is just as far away as you guys are. Guess we need to start our own reef club.
Korpi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Korpi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2011 at 12:51pm
Ya its nice to have some more Idahoans get into this hobby. I'm in Idaho Falls, (Ammon) not too far from Badger. Glad to have you in the community and if you have any questions...
.. I'll ask somebody and find an answer for you. I'm pretty new myself. About 2 months of having reefing now
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 10:35pm

Hello Kent. This is the BIG FISH WELCOME. Big smile Glad to have you in the hobby and to know the 30 gal tank was useful.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Kirklan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirklan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 2:03pm
I live just a little south from I.F. in Shelley.  I haven't had a reef tank for about 4 years, but am looking to start up another one soon.  It's great to know that there are reefers in the I.F. area.
SE Idaho
67G Rimless Reef
dancekp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dancekp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 3:26pm
Ya, all us South East Idaho People should get together some time, grab a bite to eat or something, get to know each other.  Just an idea.
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 3:56pm
Welcome to the club, if you need any advise or help feel free to ask away.
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic