Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bob's 93 CUBE Reef Build Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2011 at 9:35am
Looks great
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 12:56am
Tonight the tank is filled and running Clap

Temp is up to 76F and salinity is sitting at 1.025

Water is still a bit cloudy but hopefully will settle out overnight.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 11:19am
Looks great Bob!

In my experience I would soak that VidaRock in RO water for a few days to help leach out the silicates in it.

Artificial rock comes loaded with silicates and I fought diatoms for months after I added the VidaRock to my old tank.

Some LED's would have been my choice over VHO. VHO bulbs are expensive to replace every 6-9 months.

The tank looks great though! You will love the VidaRock! I sure like mine.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 11:29am
Looking good Bob!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 12:06pm
Bob great tank. Now I'm thinking about selling my 200 and gettinga 93 cube too. The only problem is what to do with all that rose anemones. Keep up the good work.
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 1:53pm
OMG seriously Dan? Your tank is on my top 5 list.. you are the one that inspired me to want to do an anemone tank. I just LOVE it :).
 Pam
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 2:03pm
Hmm. Maybe I can convince the wife to let get another tanks. I need to get together a game plan for this.
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by DanhNgo DanhNgo wrote:

Bob great tank. Now I'm thinking about selling my 200 and gettinga 93 cube too. The only problem is what to do with all that rose anemones. Keep up the good work.

I'll take a couple of those anenomes of your hands, Danh!

tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 8:03pm
Looking good Bob
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 11:00pm
I gotta start using my good camera - these tank shots look like the Blue Lagoon Confused

Today I picked up some nice Live Rock from Troy & Pam (ptrosp) as well as my first livestock Clap

A Green Torch and a Gold Torch frags (3 heads on the Green; 2 on the Gold) also from Troy & Pam

A pair of Purple Firefish (believe it or not, from Petco)

Later on, Mack (smacky) stopped by with a starter of Live Sand and some Chaeto for  the fuge Big smile

Everything is running smoothly so far; I am especially happy with the Bubble Magus NAC7 Cone Skimmer... already has a mountainous head that is the consistency of shaving cream, the bubbles are so fine... not much to skim out yet, other than the "milkiness" in the water from the oolitic sand

Next I need to tackle setting up the electrical a little better / neater, then I can set up the ACIII Controller, and the Calcium Reactor...

Now...who wants to help me set those up?

Big smile

ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 11:50pm
I glad the stuff worked out for you Bob. I hate so thin out my torches but I simply have too many :).
 I hope the rock worked out well for you. The tank is looking good.
 Pam
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 1:33am
bob how are you like those tunzes?
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 2:23am
not sure about the your rock work, maybe cause its cloudy, its hard to see. overall it looks great
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 9:26am
Originally posted by kody72 kody72 wrote:

bob how are you like those tunzes?

They are so, so powerful - I set them to run at 30% output for each pump (the lowest setting on the controller) and I checked this morning and there has been a bit of a sandstorm again...

I actually may go with only 1 Tunze instead of the pair in the display. They are rated for 3,170 gph each @ 100% output - that's still 1,055 gph each @ the lowest (30%) setting - and 2 of them at 30% is over 2,100 gph, which would equal about 24X turnover. I could run just 1 with the 2 - speed variable settings at 40% and 80% and keep the average turnover from the 1 Tunze at around 15X. My return pump puts out around 600 gph (or around 7X turnover) so the total tank turnover of around 22X should be compatible for the corals and with the fine sandbed. If I placed the one unit in the center of the tank each corner would only be 15 inches from the center; the pumps flow pattern is wide enough that I shouldn't have any "dead spots" going out 15 inches from the pump, that is for sure...

My only issue is that, for some reason, when I hook up the controller to both pumps the pump on  'channel 2' does not respond. I know the pump itself is fine, because if I unplug the controller cable then the channel 2 pump runs. I am going to download the manual for the controller to see if I am setting something up incorrectly. I will also try switching the controller cables to see if the problem follows the cable (which would mean a bad cable or bad cable connection at the controller or the driver) or if the problem is within the 'channel 2' portion of the controller itself.
Might be a moot point if I go with only 1 pump in the display, but I would still like to figure out what the issue is.

BTW, I am also very impressed with how dead silent these pumps are. I can set the variable speed at the max spread (30% low to 100% full) and you don't hear any "spooling up" or revving motor noises like you do on Vortech pumps... you just see the increase in the water turbulence that tells you the pump has sped up...

FlooringGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlooringGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 9:52am
Sounds like the flow is great. You mentioned how quiet they are when spooling up.

What other reasons helped you choose to buy tunze over ecotech?

Edited by FlooringGuy - March 21 2011 at 9:53am
Call me for Carpet, Tile, or Hardwood. (801) 263-9600
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 9:59am
You don't hear tunze pumps because the motor is in water. Vortechs are pretty quiet imo. My bubble magus skimmer was the loudest part of my setup besides the fans on the lights. The vortechs didn't cause any noise issues for me.

The tunze are just so big and take up room in the display.

Tunze vs vortech is like mh vs t5. Whichever one you like is the one to go with. They both do the job in the end.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 10:06am
Originally posted by FlooringGuy FlooringGuy wrote:

Sounds like the flow is great. You mentioned how quiet they are when spooling up.

What other reasons helped you choose to buy tunze over ecotech?

I got a screaming deal on the Tunzes (they are used though, not new) from Kody72... the entire setup, including controller, for about 1/2 the cost of 1 new Vortech alone.

I would site that factor as the major reason Wink.

And the flow is awesome...

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

You don't hear tunze pumps because the motor is in water. Vortechs are pretty quiet imo. My bubble magus skimmer was the loudest part of my setup besides the fans on the lights. The vortechs didn't cause any noise issues for me.

The tunze are just so big and take up room in the display.

Tunze vs vortech is like mh vs t5. Whichever one you like is the one to go with. They both do the job in the end.

I agree, Ryan... Vortechs are not "loud" at all; you just hear a little "whine" from the motor; especially if the rest of your setup is pretty quiet. And the Tunzes are definitely bigger inside the tank. But both are pretty cool pumps to have.

When I first started up my Bubble Magus it was too loud for my taste as well. Then I figured out why. I disassembled it (removed the cone body) and found that the plastic screws holding the pump to the skimmer base were really, really tight... normally, tight is a good thing; but in this case it meant if the pump vibrated at all, then all that vibration would be transferred down the base of the skimmer and onto the "feet"... sure enough, I loosened those pump mount screws just a little bit and the noise disappeared. My skimmer is now very close to dead silent Big smile.

The loudest thing in my setup right now is the return pump.

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 4:23pm
Looking good. How much did you pay for the purple firefish?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Looking good. How much did you pay for the purple firefish?

21.99 each on sale

I could have been dishonest and gotten them for 14.99 each because the kid who bagged them at Petco couldn't find the tank sticker and was going to write in the SKU for the regular (red?) firefish, until I showed him that the purple firefish sticker had been stuck on the wrong tank...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic