Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whitereef's tanks over the years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 5:11pm
On the cyano front, I was able to get it under control by maintaining my skimmer better and weekly 10% water changes. Also I slowed down the amount of phyto I was adding to just once a week. Now I don't have any that really show up, but I do have an occasional brown algae build up on the sandbed, but nothing serious.

The clam is still missing its foot, but it is hanging in there.

Also I continue to see the small parasitic snails in the tank. But I am not seeing very many snails die any more. the die off may have been more due to a lack of algae than the tiny snails.

On a sad note, I lost my wrasse today. I jumped out of the tank in the back where I have about a 2" gap between my screen and the edge of the tank. This is because the overflow I use creates the gap, and I did not build the screen to cover 100% of the tank. Now I am going to take care of it as this is the second fish that I have lost in the past year due to the small opening. Also I have not seen any of the peppermint shrimp or porcelain crabs for quite awhile, so I think they are all gone and dead. The crabs were probably killed by a single rock crab I have the hangs out by my purple tipped acro or it might be a mantis shrimp that took them out. The mantis shrimp I am uncertain of since I have not seen the entire beast, so it could be a mantis or pistol shrimp.

I have also moved my coco worm to a different location to give the purple stylophora more light. It is looking much better. Also I moved a frag of my lemonade acro and I am just waiting on the small frag to start growing faster. All of my coral are growing well and such.

For my yearly lighting change I switched from a phoenix 14K to an XM 20K bulb. It is a little bluer than the Phoenix, but not enough to make much difference, so next lighting change I will be back to a 14K bulb.

Also with the loss of my female clown fish earlier this year, I finally picked up a new clown fish. This one was only about 1" and hosting in the anemones in the LFS tank. As a result it taught the other one to host in my frog spawn.

My new battle is bubble algae, but it is not a big nuisance yet, but just a new project to get it more under control.

Current fish list:
Black&White clownfish
Ocellaris
green chromis
royal gramma
zebra tail blenny

Invert List:
green serpent star
emerald crabs 3+
rock crab
pistol/mantis shrimp
coco worm
derasa clam
yellow branching sponge
yellow ball sponge
blue sponge
several different encrusting sponges
red tunicate/sponge
flower anemones (2)
several different snails, worms, and hermit crabs

Corals:
blade gorgonian
Candelabra gorgonian
silver gorgonian
green palys
blundel buttons
several different zoanthids
frog spawn
green hydnophora
strawberry acro
purple stylophora
red milli
lemonade acro
tricolor acro
green montipora (not sure the exact name of it)
purple tipped acro
green w/purple tipped acro
orange montipora digitata
superman montipora
green acro (tabling in my tank)
acan sp?

Maintenance schedule:
Daily add top off water ~1gallon or more.
-part of the top off I add in 1 tsp seachem buffer (alk)
-part of the top off I add in 1 tsp seachem calcium
-add in iodine
Feed fish daily rotating between cyclopese, fish pellets, brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp
Every other day clean out the skimmer cup
1-2xs a week clean the glass
Once a week 10% water change (may change this later on as this was a to help resolve a nutrient issue)
Every week check the aqualifter to ensure it works properly to prevent flooding
Once a month replace carbon/phosphate material
About once a month pull out about half of the algae from the sump
Once every 3 months or so refresh purigen
Once every 3 months or so clean the skimmer
Once every 3 months or so clean the pumps and aqualifter

Pictures to come shortly

Edited by WhiteReef - June 01 2013 at 8:01pm
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 7:52pm
I really like that yellow branching sponge, I didnt see it in the recent pics, do you still have it? And do you know what kind of worm that is that you have pics of? That thing is crazy!

Edited by rize2 - June 01 2013 at 7:53pm
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 8:01pm
Front View

Side View

Purple Stylophora

Clam and tricolor acro

Green acro with blue tips

Green montipora sp?

Top Down

Lemonade acro and acan

Zoanthids

Tricolor acro

Top view of tricolor and clam

Red Milli

Green tabling acro

Green tabling acro top view

Top view
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 8:03pm
Very nice. I think your green montipora sp? may be elkhorn monti
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 8:14pm
The yellow branching sponge is still in the tank, but it is no longer yellow and has sent out new growth in different spots. Where it is out of the light it is yellow, but the ones in the light get a brown exterior to them. Also I never found out what kind of worm that was, but it was crazy to watch.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 8:20pm
yellow branching sponge in the light

Yellow branching sponge in the shade/dark

Green serpent star with yellow ball and branching sponge

sump
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 8:21pm
After looking at some photos the green monti is an elkhorn montipora.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 7:17pm
Updated full tank shot.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 9:17am
Sad new yesterday evening. My zebra tailed blenny died. I had him for 5 years, and it was sad to see him go. He was showing some white/discoloration on his fins, but nothing that looked to serious. He would still eat with the rest of the crew just fine, so I was not all concerned.

On another note, I stopped using my filter sock. The reason I stopped using it is I think it keeps the water to clean for what I keep in my tank. The sponges have been having issue for awhile and I feel that my pod population has suffered too. This is hopefully going to help out the situation. Also I started running my skimmer opposite my lighting schedule, and I have noticed a jump in the skimmate it produces.

Along with all of this I still am battling cyano and bubble algae. Also the chaeto in the sump/refugium is just not growing at all. My thought on the cyano is that the tank has been running hotter than normal the past few months due to the mild weather. The increase in the temperature is due to a reduction in the evaporation in the tank. Usually I lose 1 gallon a day, and I am at 2/3-1/4 of a gallon right now. Also the cooling fan in the sump needs a good cleaning as it greatly affects the whole thing. Bubble algae has been more of an issue lately due to a declining cleanup crew. Over the next while I plan on adding additional crabs and snails to help keep things in check. I am puzzled by the chaeto not growing well. The only thing that makes sense is that I have been using phosguard with my reactor, which I have been using for my activated carbon. The lower phosphates might account for the lack of growth from the chaeto.

I started to do weekly water changes to help improve some stability. By accident I increased the salinity in the tank by .002, and due to past experience that was an issue. I did another water change to help correct the slight increase, but some damage had already been done since it took me a few hours before I had it corrected. The only negative affect was my green table acro had to small areas turn white.

The other thing that started me doing a weekly water change is that I over dosed on CA for my tank. It was reading a bit on the high side ~550 and my Alk was a little low. Since that spike I have stopped dosing CA and I am waiting on it to return to normal to start monitoring things again. I have been dosing 30g of baking soda and 70g of seachem reef advanced CA (I miscalculated the amount to add for the CA).

On a success story, I really think that I under fed my tank in the past. I started to feed the tank daily with Phytofeast and I am seeing an improvement with the growth of the stony corals. What I am doing is taking 5-10ml of phyto and a cube of frozen, let it thaw, turn off the return pump, feed the tank, wait for about 5-15 minutes, and then turn the return pumps back on. The new lights and better CA & Alk levels probably played a part in this too.

Also I went back to the Phoenix 14k 250w DE MH bulbs. The tank is brighter and the colors pop much better.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 10:35pm
Well, the last +4 years have been hard on my poor tank. I started school then and found it difficult to even take care of my tank. It became over grown with bubble algae. I finished school and started to find time to take care of it again.

The remaining live stock:
Fish:
Moca Clown

Corals:
Gorgonian
Frog spawn
Brown/blue tipped acro
Blundell Buttons
Green Button Polyps

Inverts:
flower anemone

It was sad to see that my royal gramma that I had for more than 9 years passed away, and my black/white ocellaris clown fish I had for 8 years passed away too. Also, I lost a bunch of corals due to neglect.

I chose to make some dramatic changes to the 47 gallon tank. It was old and in need of a huge refresh. I did a 100% replacement of the old sand with new Fiji pink live sand, and cleaned and reduced the amount of live rock. I removed the skimmer (it has a bad impeller). Also, I decided to get a grow lamp (Kessil H380) to grow chaeto in my sump for nutrient export. While doing the change I was able to keep 80% of the water from the tank. Also, I installed a new MH bulb (Phoenix 14k 250w DE MH). It is amazing the collection of old MH bulbs I have. Also, along with the clean out of the tank, I cleaned up things in general. It was nice to take inventory of things. Now to sell off what I don't need any more.

The excess live rock is currently being held in a container in my basement in water. This may or may not be a long term answer as to what I want to do with it.

I seeded the sand with an order from IPSF.com that include mama mia worms, bristle worms, mini starfish, mini brittle stars, live sand, amphipods, snails, and hermit crabs. Also, I picked up some chaeto from them. Also, I picked up some chaeto from Bill.

Since the brown algae phase started a few days after the changes, I started to add snails. So far there is about 40 snails from different LFS and about 20 from IPSF. There are also probably 20+ hermit crabs. They have been able to keep the algae under control.

At this point I have all of the original coral set in place, and started to purchase a few things to start off. The first coral I bought was a zoanthid colony, a peppermint shrimp, and a black snowflake ocellaris clown fish. When i picked them up, I also was able to get 2 mussels for free that are handing out in the sump. I also picked up an ultra green toadstool from IPSF.

In the chaeto in about 10 days has grown significantly, and shows good signs that it will work well for the nutrient export.

I hope to get some more corals and fish over the next weeks to get my tank stocked again. Fun times!

Edited by WhiteReef - February 22 2019 at 10:50pm
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 10:46pm
Cool update
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 6:35pm
Added a few things today. Midas blenny, royal gramma, emerald crab, tricolor coral, green acro, lavender porcillapora, and a tiny green acro frag. There was a little pompom xenia, but it got lost in the rockwork. Also a pod pack from fish4u.

Edited by WhiteReef - February 25 2019 at 8:26am
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 11:19am
I have had some growth in my tank over the past while.  I added several corals, and things seem to be going really good. The water change schedule is still a weekly 5 gallon change to keep parameters in check.  I have found that by using just the chaeto algae for nutrient export, I get a fair amount of detritus build up in my sump, so the weekly water changes helps to remove that.  Also, I was using a sponge in one of the baffles to help remove particles from the water.  This was okay for the first bit, but over time it became a source of pollution in the tank, so it has been removed.  Aside from that, I feed the tank one frozen cube with Tahitian blend algae from brineshrimpdirect.  So far, I have only noticed a little bit of bubble algae and a few small patches of hair algae.  Since it is all in check, I have not added any more cleanup crew to help out with it.  I am thinking that I will probably add another emerald crab is the bubble algae starts to do more than it currently is.  Also, I have noticed that I have fewer hermit crabs in the tank, I still have several that are still doing good.  The small snails from IPSF have multiplied from 6 to dozens.

Corals added:
Blastamossa
acan
2 different red acro
green spongada
red montipora
red dragon
Xenia showed back up with force....
one other coral I think it is a bonsia

----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 3:09pm
Just updating my coral list.  I added 4 more corals last week.
Lobophylia
Acan
Candy Cane
Bottlebrush Acro

----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 12:13pm
I have added some additional corals to the tank.  Also, I have been trying to control the xenia, but it is hard to just pull it out as some of the stocks are so small that I can't pull them out.  I tried Kalk and a needle to try and burn it in the tank.  That kind of worked.  I am just trying to use control methods on it as I like it, but I hate it at the same time.

The tank is starting to mature a bit more, so several of the corals have been growing well.  The first acan I bought has multiple heads now and the lobo is look much better.

New corals added:
2 new acans
small red/green blasto
large blue blasto
green birds nest
purple acro (it was white when I got it, and it is showing more brown)

Top Down View
Orange Acan
Striped Acan
Red/Green Blasto
Blue/Green Blasto
Green birds nest
Purple Acro (close up to see the polyps)
Full Tank Shots
Lobo

----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 6:37pm
Looking good. Love the lobo.
60g LPS Cube
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 9:48am
Well, 2 weeks ago my tank had a corner seal fail, and it shot water out.  Luckily I was home and able to put all of the live stock in buckets and drain the tank.  I sold the 47 gallon tank and purchased a used 70 gallon cube tank.  Just working on getting it water tested, plumbed, hardware installed, and etc.  Once I get it in place and such I will add some more details.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic