Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

too much light?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: too much light?
    Posted: March 20 2011 at 10:14pm
I've noticed that my Candy, green brain, and staghorn corals really only open up at night when the lights are off. Do i have too much light on them when its on or is this natural?
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 10:22pm
Well at night they should have their feeder tentacles out. What size tank do you have and whats the lighting?
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 10:23pm
that's what i've seen. its a 20 gallon with 96 watts of LED white/actinic
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 10:36pm
how high off the water and how long of photo period?
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 10:39pm
its only a few inches from the water with some glass in between. 12 hr light period
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 10:57pm
It's very normal for SPS and LPS coral to open up to feed at night, because that is when, in a mature tank, tons of tiny bugs come out into the water column. During the day fish will nip at polyps which keeps them more retracted.

96 watts of LED's close to the water of a 20 gal tank? If that is true, then yes, that's a lot of light. That would be 32 - 43 LED's. Shocked I'm wondering if you meant flourescent PC's or T5's ? That would be normal and not too much light.

What's the glass in between? Is it in the light fixture or a glass top on the tank?

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 20 2011 at 10:59pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 11:15pm
yea, i've turned it down to the minimum and am putting about about 2/3 that amount. i figured it would have been.. its only 24 LEDs but they're 3 watts each. The glass in between is just a glass top. I may put some thin diffuser under the LED fixture but i'm still looking.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 11:28pm
FYI, 24x3=72 but comparing LED wattage to MH or fluorescent is not possible.
I would raise the LED fixture a little higher and would definitely remove the glass top. Reef tanks should have the water open to the air. It is one way that the water can naturally stabilize at the proper pH of 8.0-8.3

Another thing to be concerned about: What are the Alk and Ca of the tank? 
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 1:29am
oops.. sorry bout the mis calculation.. haha. The glass top isnt completely covering the tank. I have a few inches of room. I'm keeping it on there until i add some side mounts to keep it from falling in. Till then, need to make sure i dont fry anything.

The Ph is always between 8.1-8.2 every time i checked. The alk is hovers around 10-12 depending on how long its been since a water change and the Ca is 450-500 also depending on water changes.
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 2:42am
i would raise it to 8" or so above the water
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 6:31am
is there any reason other than air flow that it should be raised? I dont have anything but the 120 degree lenses on it so it covers everything in the tank just fine. It doesnt put much heat out so i dont see that being any other reason. There are fans blowing under the setup so the heat is being moved away anyway. At 8 inches, there would be so much light loss with the 120 deg. that it would be a waste.
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 9:41am
leds put out some crazy par on a shallow tank like that i bet your bleaching your coral having it so close. what size is it 20 Long, 20 tall, 20 standard
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 6:03pm
20 standard. I havent seen anything die or bleach so far. There are some that are growing and everything seems to be doing well. I was just wondering about the behaviour. I've dialed down from 72 watts to probably 60 or a bit less. I'll keep everyone updated as to the progress of the corals i have in so far. I really cant put it any higher due to some shelving but if it becomes an issue, I'll put some diffusing material in or take some LED's out.
Question, i thought bleaching was caused by high water temperatures and water chemistry, not so much lighting.
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by phys phys wrote:

20 standard. I havent seen anything die or bleach so far. There are some that are growing and everything seems to be doing well. I was just wondering about the behaviour. I've dialed down from 72 watts to probably 60 or a bit less. I'll keep everyone updated as to the progress of the corals i have in so far. I really cant put it any higher due to some shelving but if it becomes an issue, I'll put some diffusing material in or take some LED's out.
Question, i thought bleaching was caused by high water temperatures and water chemistry, not so much lighting.

All three can cause bleaching. I would say that lighting is the number one cause of bleaching followed closely by the other two.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 4:05am

Thanks for the heads up on that.. Learn something new everyday. Since i began this thread, i've noticed an increase in algae, sooo once again, looks like i may have too much light? lol. I'm decreasing the lighting period down to 9 hours. Is that sufficiant for the corals and to decrease the algae?

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 8:21am
Usually increases in algae means you have an excess of dissolved nutrients in the water i.e. Nitrates. Cutting back on your feedings is probably the best course of action to fight the algae.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 5:32pm
I only feed twice a day and its usually eaten by the fish in a few min. So i dont think i'm overfeeding... but i'll watch again to be sure. I've tested for nitrates and they're about at 5ppm. I'll be doing a water change tonight and we'll see where that goes.
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by phys phys wrote:

I only feed twice a day and its usually eaten by the fish in a few min. So i dont think i'm overfeeding... but i'll watch again to be sure. I've tested for nitrates and they're about at 5ppm. I'll be doing a water change tonight and we'll see where that goes.

Twice a day is pretty excessive to me. I feed my fish once every 3 or 4 days at most.

If your nitrates are at 5ppm that means there is plenty for the algae to eat.

I recommend not feeding your fish for 5 days straight and then feed them every other day after that. When you import nutrients the tank has to export them somehow or you start to have problems.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 7:49pm
Ryan hit the nail on the head. Your nitrates are low due to the algae eating it up, that's the part that many people have trouble with. Cut back on feedings and you should be fine.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 10:08pm
quite confusing. I hear feeding schedules all over the board.. so i'll see what works for me. thanks for the input though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic