Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 Gallon Mangal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 4:15pm
Well I finally did it.  There is life in my tank!  I added in a yellow clown goby, chromis, peppermint shrimp, 3 margarette snails, 3 cyrth snails, green star polyp frag, and 2 different zoanthids.  Here are some photos.

----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 12:58pm
Chromis died...sad...
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 12:02pm
All 3 margarette snails died over the weekend.  I think it might be due to a dead one that was transfered when I seeded the tank.  I did not know it was dead, but the smell this morning was nothing but rancid.  So far the shrimp looks okay and at least one of the cyrth snails.  Also the yellow clown goby is hanging in there.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 3:22pm
The goby is still doing good and the star polyps, but the zoanthids are not very happy still.  I will give them a week or so and if they still look bad then I will be taking them home for my other tank.

Went out and purchased a few more things.  I got 3 bubble bee snails, 3 nerit snails, some more calerpa, feather duster, tiger pods, and a bangaii cardinal.  I have a few pet stores looking for some other cardinal fish for me, hopefully that will work out some time soon.  Here are a few updated shots.  (I apologize for the poor quality, that's what I get for not having a good camera at work, so my phone is my only option).

----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 11:04pm
When you're ready to cut back the caulerpa let me know! Wink
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 2:40pm
I will let you know.  It might be a bit before I am ready, but I will let you know.

Here is a better shot of the fish.  Fun to watch them play hide and seek.

----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 3:30pm
Well, I added some supplimental lighting to my tank.  I was worried that the macro algae and mangroves were not getting enough light to grow and flurish.  My IT department had a spare mounting bracket, so I used that and a dowel for the stand.  Then I used the generic utility lamps and 27W bulbs. 

Also I removed the zoanthid frags a week ago as they were not doing well, but the GSP are hanging in there.  Along with that I added tiger pods to the tank and I have had a good growth rate with them and the other pods from my other tank that were seeded into this one.  The fish seem to only be eating the pods as they ignore the flake food I put in.

Edited by WhiteReef - May 27 2011 at 3:42pm
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 10:52am
I finally brought my good camera to give everyone an update and good pics of the tank.  This first one is just a full show showing the lights and everything.  I have only had the lights on the tank for 3 days, so I am curious to see if the growth improves.  The mangroves were growing roots within a few days of putting them into the tank, but it has taken almost this long for the leaves to start to show signs of growth.  Also I have been misting them on a daily basis even though the leaves are not getting salt on them, but the pods do get some salt creep.  Also there are a few of the mangroves that lost their 'baby' leaves, but most kept them and are looking good.  Oh, and don't forget the sea friends hanging out at the top, my beluga and dolphin.

Here is a close up of the tank.  I love the way the C. prolifera has clumped together to form this column of macro algae.  The C. peltata seems to be making a showing now along with the C. mexicana.  The last two calerpa species came in on some LR from Florida, and the prolifera I purchased at a LFS.  I really would love to get some red calerpa, but I need to see if anyone locally has it available.

This is the typical growth on the mangroves right now, just about nothing, but showing signs that they are close to starting to leaf out.

Here are some real promissing signs of the mangroves starting to leaf out.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 1:35pm
Looks great.....

I wonder how many co-workers or neighboring offices think your farming something illegal...especially with those lights now...looking at the pictures, I started to wonder what I would think if I saw that setup and wasn't familiar with the hobby.... Shocked....probably gets you a lot of extra conversation with peeps!
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 2:09pm
Actually I get traffic into my office periodically to see what new 'life' I have in the tank.  No one has brought up about the pot farm yet.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2011 at 3:42pm
Well I finally have my cardinal fish!  Now my tank is full of life.  I went over to the Aquarium and they had exactly what I wanted!  Now it is just a wait and see how things settle in.  Also I have been seeing some really good growth on the tops of the mangroves

2 yellow striped and 4 red/copper striped (were listed as gold striped at the store)

Growth shots of the mangroves.

Edited by WhiteReef - June 29 2011 at 3:47pm
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 3:46pm
Did some research on the fish and found out their actual names for the cardinal fish I added.  The fish are starting to get a pecking order setup and still doing good.

Apogon margaritophorus - Red/Copper Striped Cardinal  (http://fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=58156&genusname=Apogon&speciesname=margaritophorus)

Edited by WhiteReef - June 29 2011 at 4:14pm
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 3:13pm
Well I found another jewel to add to the tank, red macro algae Halymenia Floridana.  There were a few pieces at Fish4U and I bought one and found 2 lovely hitchhiker mini brittle stars on the algae.  Nice to finally add some color other than green to the tank.

Edited by WhiteReef - June 30 2011 at 3:16pm
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 7:52am
Awesome, I Heart it.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2011 at 9:27am
Sad day...I lost one of the copper lined cardinal fish. They had been eating just fine, so I'm not sure why it died. Also my yellow clown gobby is one skinny thing. I tried rotifers to see if he would eat them, but from what I observed he did not touch them. He is still hanging on. If anyone has a good suggestion on what to feed him, I am ears.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 11:43am
Well the bangaii cardinal and yellow clown goby died. The clown goby was a starvation problem as it would not eat anything. The bangaii just disappeared one day, kind of odd.

I thought I would give a little update on the tank and how it is doing. The mangroves are doing really well and only 2 or 3 still have not started producing new leaves. Also the macro algae is flourishing. The only thing that I have noticed is the copper lined cardinals are hiding out more in the top layers of the tank within the algae. All of the cardinals are taking flake food. Also I have removed one of the lights as the mangroves were getting close to the bulb.

----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2011 at 3:46pm
I have branches now! One of the mangroves has branches starting.

Edited by WhiteReef - September 02 2011 at 3:51pm
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2011 at 10:58am
THAT'S AWESOME
I love it.
I see the red Macroalgae is growing. Thumbs Up

Thinking about what fish I would add, pure and simple that's a Damsel, and even a Clownfish habitat for sure. If I was still around there, I'd offer you a couple baby Nemo's for free, just so you could enjoy them.
I'd also consider a Blenny, assuming there is soft algae growing on glass and rocks. Might have to remove a few snails to ensure the Blenny has enough to eat. Blenny's have personality. I love 'em. Damsels also have personality. (A lot different than Cardinals as I'm sure you've noticed, they just sit there....)

Have fun. I just love it.Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 03 2011 at 11:14am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2011 at 9:35pm
Thanks for the feedback, Mark.

The brown/copper/orange lined cardinal fish are rather docile, but the gold/yellow lined cardinal fish seem to add some enjoyment as they are the dominant ones in the tank. I don't know about a damselfish other than if they were to only ones in the tank as all my experience with them has been bad. Meaning, they harass any new fish to the point of death or they bit the hand that feeds them. I would consider clownfish or blenny, but right now I am happy for the most part with the fish in the tank.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 11:07am
I lost one of the mangroves the other day. It was all shriveled up, so I threw it out. Also when I was doing some maintenance on the tank I accidentally broke the top off of one. It was one of the smaller ones that was not really doing much. As of right now I still only have the one that branched out. There seems to be a bit of hair algae (green and red) growing in the tank. I think it is time to do a water change to help things out. Here is the latest view of the tank.

----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic