Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

225 tank build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 225 tank build
    Posted: March 23 2011 at 2:43am
Well started tonight with jcoulter gettin my tank goin we did two overflows and a return. We did a water test in overflow and have a slow small leak. So leavin it over night and pick up tomorrow since it was like almost midnight.
Thanks josh for all your help. Will start posting pics tomorrow. as i go.
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 1:07am
wow what a night tired but got the leak fixed and everything started. got sand and water in it also. Well dont many seemed interested in my build so wont bore you any further. Guess it aint really a build just a set up lol. any way here are some pics.

they wanted to go swimming lol

even my twins helped dad

Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 2:06am
Getting there! Can't wait to see it all up and running.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 8:34am
Pictures - lots of pictures!

I found the #1 way to keep folks interested in a Build Thread is to update frequently with pictures Clap

People like to read about your experiences - but they love to actually see what is going on even more!!!

BTW, that setup looks familiar... Wink

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 10:09am
I love build threads. I dont comment as much as others because I still consider myself a rookie, and there are some people on the board that know a ton about pretty much everything. I wait to see what they say LOL. Im a picture whore, so keep them coming. Im excited to see this setup come together again, and see what you do with it
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 10:39am
Thanx guys i will do more pics of plumbing underneath and as we go. I mostly put up for suggestions since there are so many on here that have been doin this for years. Josh helping me is great or I would still be lookin at a empty tank lol.

Yea Bob Im enjoying it just hope it all works out lol.

Water is still lil cloudy this morning.So will wait till later to do more with rock
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 11:08am
Brett it all depends on why you started a tank build thread.  If it is to invite the club to experience the journey and provide feedback, then I can see it being a downer if not many people follow it.  The tank threads that I recently started were to do that, but more it was a way for me to blog/journal the process so I could look back and enjoy.

By the way.  I like the tank and hope to see some pictures once it is all up.  If you run into any questions for peeps to answer, ask away!  Also I have twin boys, what a treat!
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 11:18am
K for flow Im thinking of using flow accelerators on all four spots off the pipe running across the top of the tank in the picture. But what would work good to put on the tips?

Im also gonna use some powerheads I have the koarlia # 3's I have up to four of them. should i use all four?
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 12:13pm
I would use all 4 K3's.

Depending on how you place your rockwork, and what type of corals you are going to keep, you may even need a bit more flow than that.

Most soft corlas and LPS will be good with the 4 K3s

If you decide to put alot of SPS in the tank you may need even more flow.

BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 12:17pm
Yea I would like sps also. I could just make sure i have it closer to them koralias so they are in a higher flow area couldnt I?At some point when i got more cash I want to put sea swirls on the front part of the tank but for now just tryin to get goin with what I have

As for rock i will have it along the back pretty much built up

Edited by BnK - March 24 2011 at 12:18pm
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 12:28pm
Yeah, you can manage the SPS if you place them in areas closer to the Koralias.

Some people just go "SPS crazy" and want to do a whole SPS-dominated setup.

In that case, you would need more flow.

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 12:29pm
DId you wash out your sand before adding to to the tank?

BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 12:35pm
yea I like mixing it up lol

no we didnt prolly gonna take a while to go through its process lol. It was stinky funny thing was there a a couple snails still alive in it
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by BnK BnK wrote:

K for flow Im thinking of using flow accelerators on all four spots off the pipe running across the top of the tank in the picture. But what would work good to put on the tips?

Im also gonna use some powerheads I have the koarlia # 3's I have up to four of them. should i use all four?

There are two type of accelerators, or eductors that i know of. I was going to use them on my tank too, but didnt have enough room. They are supposed to increase your return flow 400%. Ive never used them myself, but I know people like them

Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 12:57pm
yea I seen that first one before and wondered about how it worked. Does anyone use these and what one would you recommend?

thanx for the help that was what I was looking for online just now

also were is a good website to get these for a good price. Or does anyone have some for sale?
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by BnK BnK wrote:

yea I seen that first one before and wondered about how it worked. Does anyone use these and what one would you recommend?

thanx for the help that was what I was looking for online just now

also were is a good website to get these for a good price. Or does anyone have some for sale?

They neck down the water outlet to increase flow rate out of the outlet like a simple garden hose squirt nozzle.  This has a side effect of increasing head pressure on your return pump as a consideration.

The open area around the outlet is to draw in water from the surrounding area along with the return pump stream and direct it out the outlet.  I'm pretty sure most people felt that 400% was a stretch, but they do like them and they worked as expected.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Pacific_Coast_Flow_Accelerator_Flexible_Ball_Socket_Tubing_Plumbing_Parts-Pacific_Coast_Imports-FT0033-FIFTFB-vi.html

http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=20957&cat=1203&page=1

There's also a big DIY thread on one of the message boards on building one out of standard plumbing parts.  Seems like the nozzle was a hose barb and then you drill up a coupler/bushing assembly for the outlet and feed.

Edited by sunflashx - March 24 2011 at 1:20pm
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 2:04pm
Check with some of our guys here on the board to see what they can get them for, like Arthur (arthuriv), Steve (capnmorgan), and a few others. When i was looking for some it seemed like they were almost half the cost through one of these guys (cant remember who it was now)
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 2:05pm
k yea i am gonna shop around for sure. make sure I get them for good price. 
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 2:30pm
Oh no please tell me that sand wasn't sitting in buckets before you put it in???
If you didn't rinse it and you could smell it that is not a good thing you will pollute the whole system, believe me I did it and lost all my coral!I didn't even have mine sitting in buckets for long it was just the fact that the sand from the bottom of the tank got mixed with other sand and then starts to die off pretty quick. I had a huge mess on my hands and lost a lot of really great coral:(
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 2:33pm
yea it was I dont have nothing in the tank though. it was still wet but had lids on it. wont it just go through a longer process than normal?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic