Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shroom frag upside down?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
waldrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waldrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shroom frag upside down?
    Posted: December 28 2004 at 6:01pm
I just got a single, unattached mushroom...and can't tell which side is up.  Is there any behavior, etc., that will indicate which way is up?  It has been in there a day and I don't want to kill it if I guessed wrong.  I will try to post a pic when I get home if there is not a surefire way to tell.

Thanks for the help.
Matt
29 Gallon (mostly soft coral) Reef
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2004 at 9:11pm

Basically, look for a dimple, hole, or kind of a pucker looking dimple in the center of 1 side when looking "bloomed"... that should be the top. When the shroom looks retracted, the shroom will close up around the top(mouth).

www.captivereefing.com
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2004 at 10:25pm
With shrooms you could mount them upside down and they will still grow.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 9:58am
The Zooanthellae (sorry about spelling) would typically appear on the top side. If you have actinics, the top will likely "glow" more than the bottom. Hey bruce - what is the best way to "mount" them? Suzy gave me a few unattached that I put in a plastic cup with rubble rock. 2 of them escaped before attaching and I haven't seen them since. Luckily the others finally attached.
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
waldrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waldrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 10:00am
Thanks everyone.  I think I got it right. 
Matt
29 Gallon (mostly soft coral) Reef
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 11:05am
If you didn't, it will right itself.
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic