Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Purple Whip Gorgonian

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Haley'sfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haley'sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Purple Whip Gorgonian
    Posted: March 27 2011 at 3:57pm
I've had a PWG for about a year now with no problems. About 2 weeks ago, it got a little cyano and would not extend its polyps. I brushed off the cyano every day for about a week until I got it under control. The problem is that the polyps still aren't coming out. Its been clear for about a week, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help!
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 5:28pm
Give it time and try squirting some micro foods like oyster feast across the polyps. Do this a couple times a week and you'll see the polyps start to come out again.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Roosterfx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roosterfx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 11:21pm
Had the same thing happen to me and had no polyp extension for over a week and one day it just went back to normal and is doing just fine now
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 11:37pm
Don't want to hijack your thread but I bought this one a couple weeks ago and today it started shedding down to just like a thin brown stick I assume that it is dying. Anything I can do??

This is how it looked until today

Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 11:40pm
Is the actual flesh coming off or is it a clear layer that is flaking off? 

What most people don't know is that most gorgonians require supplemental feedings, even if they are partially photosynthetic. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Haley'sfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haley'sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 11:43pm
What would you feed it with?
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by CapnMorgan CapnMorgan wrote:

Is the actual flesh coming off or is it a clear layer that is flaking off? 
What most people don't know is that most gorgonians require supplemental feedings, even if they are partially photosynthetic. 

It's the flesh that's coming off. It is down to the twig like that is under the flesh on more than half of it.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 12:12am
I would frag off the part that is still healthy, then place it in a high flow area and feed it at least once weekly. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Wy Renegade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wy Renegade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 6:03pm
All Gorgonians need high flow, regardless of species. They will shed an outer layer of skin in order to remove built up microalgae growth. However, if they are not placed in a high enough flow area, they cannot shed the outer layer and will begin to decay and die. As was stated above high flow, and supplemental feeding with oyster eggs or some type of zooplankton supplement.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic