Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral Beauty on the RAMPAGE!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Saltwater Trish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltwater Trish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coral Beauty on the RAMPAGE!!!
    Posted: March 28 2011 at 10:05am
So, I was overcome by the beauty of this fish and thought "hey... maybe he'll be ok in my tank and not eat my coral.  He's so pretty".  NOPE!  Little snipe has taken a liking to my sps and is on a RAMPAGE!  I started adding more algae waffers in hopes of deterring his nipping on the corals, but I'm not so sure he'll give it up.  SO.... If I have to catch this little bugger, what's the best way to do it without destroying my tank in the process?  I really love this fish... he eats flakes and pellets really well , but I'm afraid he'll eat all my coral :(  I'm sad.   I have learned a lesson tough.  I read a previous thread that mentions you can train them not to munch on the corals.  Anyone have luck with this?  Luckily, I don't have a ton of coral in my tank for him to devour, but the little bit I do have , I LOVE!!!!  HELP!!!! 
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 10:50am
I'd keep him.  Keep feeding him and see if he starts taking to prepared foods.  Unlikely he'll keep eating coral.

If you are sure you want to catch him... you can use a fish trap.  I sort of have one (it is out on loan right now).  But a coral beauty that eats coral is super rare.  He's probably just hungry and needs more food.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltwater Trish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 10:56am
THANKS ADAM!  I'll give him another shot.  I'll up the feedings and provide more algae for him to graze on.  He loves to nibble on the LR too.  Hopefully he's just hungry.  I do love him!  I get so attached to everything in my tank.  Down to the lonely little red mushroom I have.  I love each little thing.  SO... him munching on my stuff isn't good.  I'll try your suggestions and see how we do.  Thanks for the advise.  Hope to see you this weekend at FRAGFEST Big smile  
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 12:23pm
I have one and have no problems.  Good luck

BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 12:27pm
hey trish if you need that trap of adams and he dont mind I can get it to you. I live in layton also. and Im not using it I was just waiting for the meeting to give it back to him.

Let me know
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltwater Trish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 1:01pm
Thanks Brett!  I'm going to give the little guy another chance, so I can get the trap from Adam later if he doesn't stop eating the coral.  Thanks for the offer though.  If Adam wants me to hand onto it in the meantime, I can.  Adam... thoughts?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltwater Trish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 1:01pm
hang not hand  LOL TYPO
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 1:09pm
I'd recommend getting the trap from Brett.  That way if you decide you need it, you've got it.  And if you decide to keep the fish, just bring me the trap at Fragstock or whenever.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltwater Trish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 5:55pm
My coral beauty made the cut.  He is not longer devouring my coral, I'm happy to say!  All is well in my tank Big smile
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 11:35am
Clap
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic