Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New guppy on the Reef!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guppy on the Reef!
    Posted: March 28 2011 at 1:19pm
Hi everyone!

I'm not "new" but I'm back so I figured that I would introduce myself.

I filled out my profile so it has a lot of info on me.

I used to have 2 nanos, an 80G FOWLR, A 50G Reef, and a 160G Reef (bought it from another member on here actually.)

I couldn't get the tank out when I left the ex, so this is my first dip back into the salt water world for about a year and a half. I've got an 8G Biocube that I am setting up at my office.

Currently I'm debating if it's going to be big enough before investing too much into it, like upgraded lighting. I'm curious of others experiences with nano reefs.
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 1:55pm
Welcome to the club.  I haven't had a nano that small.  I love my 24 gallon nano cube.  You can make a 8G look so awesome.
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 2:03pm
Thanks for the welcome!

I've got my live rock and sand, I don't believe that there is a skimmer that will fit this tank. Which is a bit of a concern. I've been cycling the tank for three weeks, I used a bacteria booster and live rock and live sand, the params were pretty good from day one, went through a mini cycle mid first week, and then it was solid for the next two. I added a Chromis and an emerald crab to kick up the bioload, I plan to add another chromis and more inverts if the levels look good at the end of this week which will be week 4. I worry that I may be moving too fast, but the levels are good. Any advice on the pace to move with introducing new stuff?

I replaced the bioballs with LR, I worry though that the liverock in the overflow could have die off because it's not completely covered in water all of the time. Any insight on that?

I got an MP10, but I think it's overkill, I go it incase I decided to go bigger however.

This is my next prospective purchase... Anyone have any experience with LED lighting systems? I question the radiation, but apparently the led's are able to put off the UV that the corals need.

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?cPath=73&products_id=620

I'm trying to figure out what a good set of fish is for it, I'm guessing 3-4 is about the max bioload?

I'd also love to have a small maxima clam, and other corals, which is why I'm interested in the upgraded lighting. But I'm not sure what I can realistically support in a tank this small. Considering setting up a sump in a stand.
boysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 2:03pm
Welcome Back!  I find that i run out of with an 8g to fast. I got a 12g a month ago and its already full
Time waits on no one
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 2:20pm
You run out of what fast?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 3:13pm
I think he means, that he runs out of space.  In a 8g Nano you don't need to have a skimmer.  You can achieve the same effect by normal water changes each week.  I would recommend getting some Cheato for your tank.  Many members will give you some to get started.  The Cheato will eat alot of the nasty stuff in the water.
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 3:21pm
Where would I put the Cheato? That's what my primary concern is that I don't have enough water to keep anything stable. A sump could give me 2x's what my tank holds for a more stable system couldn't it? With the sand and rock I've got maybe 5 gallons of actual water in this thing? Forgive my ignorance, I'm used to working with much larger tanks and even those aren't incredibly forgiving, I feel like if I stick my hand in this tank I might screw up it's balance. =)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 3:26pm
Well you should be ok yes a larger tank can tend to be more stable.  If you do regular water changes than you should be ok.  I have seen like a soap dish made out of acrylic put on the side of the tank to hold the cheato.  A sump would make it more stable and you could hide all the equipment down there.
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 3:41pm
That's what I am thinking would be best.

I wonder if I could put the Cheato in the overflow area? Does anyone know of a fish store around here that sells those macros? I have bought most of my stuff at The Aquarium, but I don't recall seeing any plants there.
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 3:51pm
I have been needing to cut back my cheato for a while, your welcome to it if you ever come this way.
90 gallon mixed reef
jdskidawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdskidawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 3:53pm
i just ordered this for my Biocube 8

also nano reef has ALOT of good info in the all-in-one section :)
hope this helps you out

send me a pm if you want know more about mine

Jc

Edited by jdskidawg - March 28 2011 at 3:55pm
150 in the works

8g Biocube,minijet 606,par38 led and Intank media tower,koralia nano
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 3:53pm
That would be awesome, I live in Cottonwood Heights, and work in Utah County though, so as much as I appreciate the offer, I wonder if it's cheaper to hit the pet store with the cost of gas.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 3:55pm
You could try fish 4 U to see what they have to offer.
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 3:58pm
Thanks JDSKID, I sent you a PM.

Thanks Turbostud, I'll look them up, I think that I have been there once upon a time. IS Cheato the only macro that I would benefit from? Is there an issue doing others?
boysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 4:23pm
I have some Chaeto I will give you for free to help start you out. I am locatd in Murray. PM me if your interested.  I also have 12g nano you can check out and see how i did mine to if you would like
Time waits on no one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 4:37pm
There are others that you can have but cheato is the best.
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 4:54pm
That would be awesome boysty, I'm very close to Murray.
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 5:13pm
Welcome back, and I can help you will LED lighting, i recommend DIY lighting. PM me if you want more info.
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 5:15pm
Yeah? I'm very interested. I looked at another DIY, and it was roughly $75 cheaper, it seems like the one that Nano Tuners sells is a pretty good deal considering the awesome driver and reef keeper support. I PM'd you however as you might have a better solution.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 6:02pm
Welcome to WMAS! Glad to have you here!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic