Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ich?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:35pm
thanxs adam I will watch him close and i been lookin online about a quarintine tank any advice on gettin one set up?

I got a skimmer it is tcfabs old one but it isnt working well for some reason. maybe I will post pics to see if anyone can give me ideas on why.
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:49pm
Here's a better article than I could write 

I keep a qt tank running in my basement just in case.  You are welcome to bring the fish over and use it at any time.  

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:55pm
I may take you up on that if he gets worse

the lights are on and some of them bumps are not as bad looking they dont have the white lookin heads but you can still see them. I cant get a pic since he dont stop moving and my phone just blurs when i get them while he swims.
He still has some on his fins I will just keep watching him and feeding garlic to him.

And I will read that article
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by BnK BnK wrote:

First of ALL Mark I have plenty of algae in my tank I live the lights on my sump up to 12 hrs a day sometimes more.

As for buyin and killing fish its my money I will buy fish If I feel. Im SO tired of you tryin to be big brother of the fish world. PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES. My tank has been running fine the readings fine I have a total of 10 fish in a 95 gallon tank. Most are lil fish my powder tang is the biggest one. As for the fish that died they were bought from a LFS that many people on this forum have had fish die from and I believe my eel had some to do with this.

Oh wait maybe I will just buy a fish a yr to satisfy you.

Another Opinion Here!

First of all- That is not ich...doesn't even look close....What is it? Don't recall the name, not really important, I have seen it before in my tanks. The spots tend to be much larger than fine sugar and the number of spots is generally quite minimal in comparison to ich, 4-10 vs 20+.  You may find the spots move on a day to day basis.  Typically you will see them for the next month, then on and off (2-4 spots) for the next couple months.  Flashing will also be apparrent in the evening hours.  Get your parameters in check and feed well, the fish will survive.  However, I fear with your current water quality, your tank is in no position to feed as one should if their fish are currently under the weather.  Feed minimally for now, but take care of that water quality first and foremost.  Feeding plenty will only cause your parameters to downgrade, thus increasing fish stress, thus resulting in the fishes ability to fight disease to be severely decreased.

I tend to fall in the middle of Mark's and Adam's feelings

1.  12 hours a day sump light is not enough....especially with that high of nitrates, your macro should be doubling in size every week with that high of nitrates...keep that light on, or get a better one.
2.  Having Mark tell you to stop buying and killing fish is quite strong:  I think he should have said it more nicely, probably something like "slow down with this tank".....then again I think he may have told you this already....
3.  Yes, your money, you can buy fish when you feel, even if you kill them....although such a mentality is not necessarily good for the the fishes sakes
4.  If the fish gets worse "pull it".....be careful with this....no need to chase a sick fish just to cause more stress....
5.  10 Fish in a 95 gallon....This tank has been setup long before your membership date correct? 
6.  Skimmers- insurance policy for your tank, the quality of skimmer though, determines your deductible....sounds like you need a better policy for that tank. 
7.  Your tired of Mark?  I can't imagine how tired some of these other members are of him who have been on here for years....LOLWink

Know I could be completely wrong in every way with my above comments, but I'd like to think I am totally right!  Mark comes off strong, but rarely is his advice incorrect. 

Edited by bur01014 - March 29 2011 at 5:25pm
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 6:09pm
I would just leave the light on in the sump all day. I hate to pull the skimmer on the bigger tank you have but I think you need it more on the smaller tank for right now until you find out how to work your other skimmer
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 8:03pm
i have to say i feel for Brett but at the same time i agree with Mark. did you know Hawaii maybe shut down to the trade? they say we are cruel and do care enough for our fish/corals. this is a sad thing, i have seen only a small percent like this but maybe we should put a little more thought and caring into it.
just a thought of mine, just wanted to share.
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 10:26pm
I know mark is tryin to be helpful in his own way. It is the way he comes off with it. I talk to alot of people about my tank on here and that I go visit. I bought this tank from about a mile away we tore it down and had it set up within 1 hr to 2 hr tops. used some old water from it and some new. It went through a small cycle of just nitrate and nitrite,no ammonia spike at all. All my readings have bee very good since then I got alot of coral in it and fish wise I have two clown,1 firefish, 1 sixline,1 peppermint, 1 fire shrimp, 2 engineer gobys, 1 damsel, 2 chromos(sp), and the powder tang oh and lionfish dwarf. My skimmer has been acting up and tyler called today so I am fixing it so that should help. I have had the tank for two months I didnt put them all in at once. I took down my 110 so I needed to get them in there. the only fish I had die were the ones I bought and died within couple days of purchase. All the ones that ive had are fine. I have done nothing but read about fish and coral and try to learn more and more. It is just hard when you make a mistake and then get jumped on like marks message came off. On top of it, it was a ruff day. And I know Im not the only one that feels this way about mark. But anyway Im over it, and moving on. thanx to everyone on the forums for there help i appreciate it and some day I hope to be half as knowledgeable about the hobby. Just like know my 225 readings have been perfect and I havnt added a thing yet. I will wait another week.or 10 lol.
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 10:42pm
Clap
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 10:49pm
I've been wanting to tell ya to slow down but i am not your
Big brother The way I look at it the faster you go the more
money you spend.
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 10:58pm
A 255 I would like to check that out one day if possible.
Are you on the reef tour.
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 11:03pm
no 225 if I put 255 i hit wrong button lol

and no im not and it is not set up yet just got water and rock and I bought rock from billybob so got a bunch of majano on it that im killing off before adding livestock. which gives it time to make sure everything is good. But when it is up and running you can come check it out. I got a build thread goin on the forum now with pics
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 7:34pm
hows your powder doing? i hope better
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 7:42pm
Yea Im thinkin it is something else I have done two water changes to get nitrate down and other readings are good. He still has lil specs on his two fins but eats fine and acts normal. I just watch him close. But he seems happy. thanx
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 7:49pm
good to hearSmile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic