Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ich?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ich?
    Posted: March 28 2011 at 11:30pm
My powder tang has what looks like couple white spots on it side and one on its fin. Could this be ich? Looks kinda like a pimple I guess is a way to describe it. Im posting a pic best one I could get.
One is right behind the eye behind the white line running from top to bottom and other spot is right in middle of his side above what looks like a vessel.  He also has one on his fin. But he acts fine and eats good.

Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:07am
Very  likely!  I'd be greatly concerned and would inspect him closely first thing in the morning.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:11am
Is here something I should do tonight? what steps should I take?

I actually started feeding them with garlic like 3 days ago. and did tonight.

Edited by BnK - March 29 2011 at 12:12am
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:15am
Keep feeding with garlic for sure.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:26am
keep up with the garlic and add a grounding probe if you dont have one. good luck, let us know.
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:34am
what is a grounding probe? 
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:45am
you have electrical currents running through your tank from heaters, powerheads, pumps ect. test your tank with a voltage tester just the glass is fine. anyway inverts and fish do not like this especally tangs. it stresses them they get sick.....after i added one i have not lost a tang. even a powder blue.
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:45am
grounding probe eliminated stray voltage in your tank
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:48am
they are also for safety, if your heater breaks ect. it will help take the current out of the water so you dont get zapped. they are about $20 easy to put in. just plug into a grounded outlet and stick in sump/tank. everyone should have one!!
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:48am
I will have to look into those tomorrow then. thinkin more that it is ich before my lights went out he had some more spots on his fins. Cry
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:51am
aquatic dreams is where i got mine. good luck again
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:59am
well just did my readings my levels are all good but my nitrate is 80 so im doin a water change now

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 1:03am
that protein skimmer not doing its job. 
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 1:09am
Yea im thinkin it is not set up right or something. glad I had water already mixed 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 1:17am
I bet the fish you are missing is why your level is that high
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 9:18am
How does he look this morning?  That will be a key sign.

Adam
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 11:56am
well lights aint on yet. But he dont look worse. he still is acting fine swimming all around chasing anything that he thinks is food lol.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:15pm
An even better way to reduce N compounds(Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates) is to have a good clump of Macroalgae in the Refugium and the display tank and turn on at least the Refugium lights 24 hours per day. If you would rather not have the display lights on 24 hours, at least extend the photoperiod by several hours for a week.

Algae can eat a ton of Nitrogen pollution very quickly, where a water change only reduces pollution by the percentage of the water change.

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 29 2011 at 6:12pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:22pm
First of ALL Mark I have plenty of algae in my tank I live the lights on my sump up to 12 hrs a day sometimes more.

As for buyin and killing fish its my money I will buy fish If I feel. Im SO tired of you tryin to be big brother of the fish world. PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES. My tank has been running fine the readings fine I have a total of 10 fish in a 95 gallon tank. Most are lil fish my powder tang is the biggest one. As for the fish that died they were bought from a LFS that many people on this forum have had fish die from and I believe my eel had some to do with this.

Oh wait maybe I will just buy a fish a yr to satisfy you.

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:33pm
Kind of have to side with Brett on this one.  Sometimes Mark's helpfulness isn't all that helpful, and not so easy to take.

Brett- keep a close eye on that fish, especially in the morning hours.  If it gets worse I'd be prepared to pull it out.

Adam
ps- skimmer beats algae in removing those compounds
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic