Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cardinal.....help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
base762 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote base762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cardinal.....help
    Posted: March 30 2011 at 8:26pm
noticed my larger (male) cardinal wasn't swimming much or eating so i sat and observed
him only to realize his mouth is full of eggs!!! would love to save the little ones but i know i
cant catch him???????????????????????????
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 10:16pm
That is SO COOL! I would love to see a pic. I would LOVE to raise some of these as well :).

Pam

Edited by ptronsp - March 30 2011 at 10:25pm
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 10:25pm
Is this a Banggai Cardinal?

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 11:57pm
i would try a fish trap
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 11:54am
Originally posted by base762 base762 wrote:

would love to save the little ones but i know i
cant catch him
Well you have come to the right place because I know that you CAN catch him. But not yet. Wait until you can see little tails sticking out of his mouth. Give me a call or ask here and I can tell you how I have done it.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 12:06pm
I agree with Mark, there are ways to catch this fish.

What type of lighting do you have (metal halide, T5 flourescent, etc)?

base762 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote base762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 1:35pm
THANX MARK
yes i have a trap and the cardinals are the only ones that never go near it...

lighting is HO T5'S.... and yup thats them in your pic's.....

i'll let you all know when the fry show up....Tongue
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 1:49pm
Since you have "instant on" flo lighting these fish can be pretty easy to catch.

Wait until after dark and your lights have been off for at least 3 hours (you can shut them off early to speed things up)...the room needs to be as close to completely dark as possible.

Turn on your T5s, net in hand... the sudden change form very dark to bright light will stun the fish for maybe 30 seconds. They will look like they are still "sleeping"

You should be able to easily net the fish... it won't even see the net coming so it won't try to hide.

Then try to place the "pregnant" fish into its new home as quickly as possible.

I used this technique when I had my breeding pair of Banggais and it worked every time.

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 6:15pm
DO NOT DO IT TILL IT HAS LITTLE ONES IN ITS MOUTH. My experience is all I can go by. I had 3 breading pairs at the pinnacle of my MAD breading experience. If I caught a pregnant male and moved him. 98% of the time he will spit the eggs out from the stress. Either wait till he has a mouth full of little ones or wait and try to catch the little ones once they swim free. (not with a net. It damages their little bodies!!)
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
base762 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote base762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 8:02pm
thanx every one... GREAT FEEDBACK... I'LL LET YOU ALL KNOW ..and get pic's...
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 9:29am
BTW, those baby Bangaii in the pic were purchased from Dion, taken to St. George, grown a little more and then sold.

The other two pics are of my fish in 2006. The net is where I caught the papa like Bob described except it was only 30 mins. after lights out. Sure enough, as usual he spit out some of the babies and I picked him up by the tail and shook out the rest of the babies.Smile

The Feb 2002 Sea Star has a good article about raising Bangaii. http://www.utahreefs.com/SeaStar/wmasSeaStar02Feb.pdf

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 01 2011 at 9:31am
base762 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote base762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2011 at 7:52pm
as of yesterday he has a mouth FULL of fry...... how long before he will let them go!!!!!

ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2011 at 9:21pm
That is great. I would pm Dion, he has experience I know with the cardinals. I want to get a pair of cardinals so I can raise their fry, that is really exciting! I hope you do well with them :). I am sure you will enjoy them.
 Pam
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 10:40am
You've got abut a week before the fry are so large that he cannot hold them anymore. When you see their tails sticking out of his mouth it's time to flip on the lights to catch and help papa release his babies.
base762 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote base762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 7:39pm
babies are so AWESOME and eating roti's 
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 8:41pm
Clap That is awesome! I would love to come and see them. Post pics :). GOOD JOB!
 Pam
base762 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote base762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 9:58pm

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 10:36pm
That is awesome to see that you are a new daddy!  Lots of baby fish to love and raise.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 11:00pm
That is AMAZING~ I love it! I want to take you up on your offer to come over and check the new ones :). Good job!
 Pam
base762 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote base762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 11:55pm
mark p
thanx for the roti's and your help ........ my only fear is im moving across the vally this week end and don't want to lose any thing.....bad timing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic